This virus is still circulating around and going after PC's

TTH

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:26 pm
From what I understand, this virus is still going around. The confirmed link is at the bottom.

"Subject: Virus Warning!"

"A new virus has been circulating on the Internet the last couple of weeks.
It can be recognized by the Subject Line which has many variations, but all the variations are similar. These are a few examples:

You've received an ecard from a family member!
You've received a postcard from a class-mate!
You've received a greeting card from a school friend!
You've received a greeting postcard from a partner!

PLEASE DO NOT OPEN THESE EMAILS! The email may look like it's from a reputable source such as Hallmark or American Greetings, but the email doesn't mention a specific person's name in the Subject line or in the email itself, and that's the clue to delete it without opening it.

Just a reminder that if you receive an email from a source or person you
don't recognize, especially if the email has an attachment, the safest path is to delete it without opening it. If you receive an email with an attachment and it's from a source or person you recognize, but you were not expecting an attachment from them, please check with the source or person before opening the attachment. Some viruses are capable of infecting a computer and then sending out virus-laden emails to people in the infected computer's address book such that it looks like the computer owner sent it.

Please remember that if your computer gets infected with a virus, it's
capable of infecting many more computers here at the XXXXX! When in doubt, delete!! Thank you."

Link: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 660 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:33 pm
i NEVER open e-mail from an unknown source !
sometimes i will not even open an e-mail from a known source .
i assume that pm's through a2k are still safe .
hbg
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:54 pm
Yes, I think pm's through A2K are safe. I also think emails through A2K are safe.

A lot of people do business over the internet though. I get ecards from friends through the legit. sites. The subject of the email in this virus is almost identical to the legit. sites

I opened one of these emails that looked like a legit. one and it wasn't. It was the virus one. So, I reported them.

I received an email from ebay that was done quite well. I just had a suspicion it wasn't from them. I forwarded it to them and they confirmed it was not from them. They were taking "the appropriate action" to try and stop that false email.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
Thank you for the info, TTH. I've been so busy lately that I hadn't heard about this ...but I have seen the emails as such. Didn't open any though! Smile
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:24 pm
JustBrooke
I am glad you didn't open any. I only do because there is no known virus for the computer I use. The hackers go after the pc's for the most part since there are so many out there. I open them to get their info so I can report them.

Edit: I assumed you have a pc Embarrassed

I also do not recommend anyone opening an email that they don't know the source.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:23 pm
The "You've received an ecard from a family member!" etc subject line spam even comes through to the Help Desk. Of course we delete it without opening but it's often amusing to see these, written to the email for Portal questions. Yes, the Portal, an inanimate object, has a family member. It heard from Hal in 2001. Sheesh.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 07:59 pm
jespah
That is funny it comes to the help desk. I get the Hal part too Laughing Laughing
0 Replies