Cheques

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:08 am
Linkat wrote:
Montana wrote:
Gotta love those credit card points. I pay the balance every month and rack up those points, which I use for free gas. I'm a points girl Cool

That's the key - pay it off each month and take advantage of the freebies.

Yeah, gotta love those points, but be smart enough to pay the bill at month end.

Started a points thread Laughing http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100172&highlight=
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:14 am
Letty,
We also stopped receiving our checks back from the bank and I'm happy to be rid of the clutter.
Changing over was a bit stressful for me because I was concerned about having my financial info online, but it's just so much easier that I don't worry much about that anymore.
I'm also a bit set in my ways, so the switching everything and learning how to do everything online was a pain in the neck at first, but once I had everything in place, I realized how much easier it made everyrthing.
Mailing checks out now with the price of stamps/checks would drive me nuts Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:31 am
Letty wrote:
Well, my banks have informed me that they will no longer return canceled checks. I have my mortgage automatically withheld and I pay up my credit card every month. I guess I over reacted, because I thought that I needed a canceled check to prove that I had paid a bill.

Now, I have to call and see what checks have been returned, etc.

I guess no paper trail is a good way to save money and also to prevent identity theft.

I can view my canceled checks on line. Maybe you could check with your bank and see if they have that available.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:35 am
we pay most purchases by credit card ($10 and up) and use our debit card for cash withdrawals - perhaps three times a month .
pension , phone , newspaper , credi card payment ... are all by automatic withdrawal .

as a retired auditor i still don't trust internet payments completely .
certainly in canada/united states there have been some real horror stories where things have gone terribly wrong - and the banks are NOT very swift in acknowledging errors .
the customer often has to jump through hoops trying to get errors corrected .
i recall the last audit managers conference i attented .
internet banking had just become popular and was being pushed by the banks . a company president who was present at the meeting through out a question to attendees from the banks : "any bank who promises a speedy settlement of internet banking problems in writing ? " -
there were no takers !
i know that these problems are infrequent , but battling with a bank is usually now an easy task for consumers .
at my age i stick with stuff that i can take to the bank(credit card slip , ATM slip , bank statement .. ) , show the bank manager and say : "your bank made a mistake ! " - usually gets quick action , particularly if i promise to take my business to the competitor across the street .
btw our money is pretty well evenly split between two banks - and they know it Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:51 am
All my checks are free, Linkat, and yes indeed, Wachovia pushes banking on line. I'm too chicken, however. I guess I'll have to change my ways, but follow hamburger's advice.

Montana, when my son's wife died and we went to Virginia, I used my credit card to fill up with gas. I haven't gotten one bill about that, and I keep calling concerning the balance. That's odd to me.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:04 pm
letty :
we try to use our credit card as much as possible . of course , convenience is one reason , but it's also important to us that we are limited to a $50 charge if we ever lose our card and if it gets misused .
if we report the loss quickly our liability is ZERO !
with debit cards the liablities for misuse of a stolen card are not that clearcut . i know that friends whose card was stolen and misused had quite a battle with the bank to get re-imbursed.
computer banking ? NO , thank you !
hbg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:05 pm
Letty, That's strange.

Hamburger,
I know I'm not completely comfortable with the computer banking either and never was, but it makes things so much easier than writing checks or chasing to pay people.

Thanks for your advice and I think I'm going to start using my credit card for everything. I always wondered if it was safer than my ATM and now that I know it is, that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks man Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:23 pm
Linkat wrote:
I can view my canceled checks on line.

I suppose, this is the main difference: we do ALL and everything money related online, not via the credit card by with our normal banc account.
And can, of course, se that. (That's why it is called 'online banking' as opposed to 'credit card banking online', which I do, too.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 07:54 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Linkat wrote:
I can view my canceled checks on line.

I suppose, this is the main difference: we do ALL and everything money related online, not via the credit card by with our normal banc account.
And can, of course, se that. (That's why it is called 'online banking' as opposed to 'credit card banking online', which I do, too.)

We also have our credit card statement via email rather than in the mail - saves on paper and you can view prior statements, activity, etc. right on line - even before the billing cycle is complete.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:16 am
One of the problems with the US banking system is many people don't have access to it. There is a rather substantial population that works or works off and on but doesn't have a bank account. Banking is free if you have lots of money. It often costs more than it is worth if you don't have the money to keep a minimum. Add in the $40 overdraft charges and the $2 ATM fees and it quickly becomes easy to see why many people prefer to receive checks and cash them for good ole US dollars they can carry around.

Checks are only recently becoming more expensive to take than credit cards. Checks only cost you the occasional fraud. Credit cards cost you the fraud and the 2% fee for taking them. Check fraud is finally becoming bad enough that it costs businesses more than the credit card fees. (I believe debit cards charge the same fee as credit cards.) It's easy for mortgage companies, utilities, and auto dealers to take checks. They are less susceptible to fraud since they have a relationship with the person and a ready way to find them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:38 am
Linkat wrote:
We also have our credit card statement via email rather than in the mail - saves on paper and you can view prior statements, activity, etc. right on line - even before the billing cycle is complete.

Of course.

But I was talking about normal bank busineses, just the ordinary bank account at the "57th First Bank".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:45 am
parados wrote:
One of the problems with the US banking system is many people don't have access to it. There is a rather substantial population that works or works off and on but doesn't have a bank account. Banking is free if you have lots of money. It often costs more than it is worth if you don't have the money to keep a minimum. Add in the $40 overdraft charges and the $2 ATM fees and it quickly becomes easy to see why many people prefer to receive checks and cash them for good ole US dollars they can carry around.

Checks are only recently becoming more expensive to take than credit cards. Checks only cost you the occasional fraud. Credit cards cost you the fraud and the 2% fee for taking them. Check fraud is finally becoming bad enough that it costs businesses more than the credit card fees. (I believe debit cards charge the same fee as credit cards.) It's easy for mortgage companies, utilities, and auto dealers to take checks. They are less susceptible to fraud since they have a relationship with the person and a ready way to find them.

We have a -kind of constitutional- right for a bank account.
(Otherwise, you wouldn't get any payment.)

It started free, but costs now between nothing (if you have a certain regular income) and about $12/month, including everythimg.
(That's for internet banking; doing all the printed way might be a bit more expensive.)

As said, here it's easy to pay directly with your bank card (with the 'diadvantage that it only works if enough money on your account) or payment made by direct debit.

Usually, it's done per invoice and you pay it either online or on paper at the bank.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:57 am
People who write checks still drive me batty.

Use a check card. Faster. Easier. Safer. (your account number, phone number, address is not written on your check card)

Keep your checks for bill paying if you must. But most places offer free electronic bill pay and so do most banks.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:34 am
as i already stated : we use credit cards for most everything - except withdrawing cash .
just this morning i shopped at the supermarket - $25 , filled up the gas tank $35 - bought handcleaner $2 - paid extra charge for physo therapy - $41 - all by credit card ... and we get reward $$$$ everytime we shop !
the only time we have to pay for use of the ATM card is when we are outside canada - suits us just fine !
just received an $80 supermarket (A & P)shopping coupon for our bonus points from mastercard for first 1/2 of the year - HAPPY SHOPPING ! .
hbg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:00 pm
That's it, I'm going shopping today and I'm gonna rake up some points on my credit card. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

Thanks Hamburger ;-)
0 Replies