What's the DOB of the short story author Patrick Waddington?

dan E

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:30 pm
I've been trying to find the date of birth and death (that is if he isn't already dead) online, but i cant seem to find it so if anyone knows or has an address that s/he thinks might helpful, I would be most grateful, thank you all for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 7,427 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:48 pm
Having no luck so far, Dan_E...
0 Replies

dan E

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:59 pm
thanks anyways ossobuco, forgot to mention that he's the author of "THE STREET THAT GOT MISLAID"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:33 pm
I'm narrowing in on him.

http://johnwmacdonald.com/blog/2004/archive2004.html

Quote:
Monday, May 31, 2004
After reading my weblog, Stephen Morrissey, a "Vehicule poet" back in the day, sent me an email this morning to send his best wishes and also a recommended reading: a short story by Miriam Waddington's husband, Patrick, called "The Street that got Mislaid", 'which could be about some little street in the Plateau,' according to Mr. Morrissey.

Quote:
She married Patrick Waddington, a journalist for CBC's International Service, and had two sons, Marcus and Jonathan, but the marriage ended in divorce after 20 years.

from another page

Quote:
Personal Information for
Miriam Waddington
Born: January 1, 1917

Occupations: Authors, Educators, Poets, Social Workers

Subjects: Literature, Poetry, Public Welfare, Education

Biographical Information: Born in Winnipeg in 1917 of Russian-Jewish parents, Miriam Waddington attended a secular Yiddish school there before moving with her family to Ottawa where she attended high school. She went on to study at the University of Toronto, receiving her BA in 1939 and a diploma in Social Work in 1942. She continued her studies at the University of Pennsylvania, where she studied under Virginia Robinson and Jessie Taft, and received her Masters degree in Social Work in 1949. From 1945 to 1960 she worked for various social agencies in Montreal and taught at McGill University. In Montreal, she became associated with the First Statement, a group of poets including A.M. Klein and Irving Layton. She and her husband, writer and journalist Patrick Waddington, also published with Preview, the group including P.K. Page and F.R. Scott Waddington's first book of poetry, Green World, was published in 1945, and she has since published another eleven collections, including Oxford University Press's Collected Poems.

http://www.jwa.org/archive/jsp/perInfo.jsp?personID=631
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:40 pm
Ah, I had found your second quote and couldn't at the time chase that further..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
Given that Miriam Waddington was born in 1917, there's a chance that a friend of hamburger's might be of an age and profession (English professor at a Canadian uni) to know more about Patrick Waddington.

I'm going to send hamburger a note to ask M. about this.
0 Replies

dan E

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:10 pm
thanks a tonne eh....and you too osso, it would be a ENORMOUS help if i got it since I've been compiling a list of some of my favorite short stories and thats the only author that i don't have the info on.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 10:44 am
What's the DOB of the short story author Patrick Waddington?
Google gives 1900 as DOB, but no death date.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:10 am
dan_E :
hello , dan !
if all else fails , you may want to consider contacting...OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS - TORONTO...(click for link) , since oxford press was one of waddington's publishers .
i'll check to see if anyone around here might have a lead .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:09 pm
hi , dan_E :
i went to our local public library today and tried to hunt down the elusive "patrick waddington" . came up empty , unfortunately !
with the help of a librarian i searched "who is who in canadian literature" and also the database of "(national) libraries and archives - canada" ... no luck !
you may want to further search for waddington through the....LIBRARY DATABASE AND SEARCH MACHINES...
let us know if you find anything more about waddington .
best of luck !
hbg
0 Replies

dan E

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 03:21 pm
Thank you all for all your help and the extensive searches that you undertook to find out the precise information on Patrick Waddington. I'd be looking him up in one of Toronto's many well fitted libraries right now......but alas I am in brazil.....a country of few poorly equipped libraries, and so.... I'll ask mo brother to look him up for me, Very Happy hopefully he will find it Smile and if he does... Very Happy the first thing I'll do is post it on this thread Cool but all the same I'd be ever so grateful if some-one could beat him to it, and post the mission accomplished!
Happy Hunting for the Die Hard!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:13 pm
(I've got an idea that I'm going to try to followup with over the August long weekend)
0 Replies

Beginnerstoryteller

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:25 pm
DOB of Patrick Waddington
I thought I had it, but then I saw http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0905352/ . I posted a reply yesterday with a date, but I think that that date refers to the "Patrick Waddington" from York in the UK on this site.
0 Replies

carolhull

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 09:17 pm
@dan E,
you are probably no longer interested, but I just read 'The Street That Got Mislaid'. and have been trying to find some other stories. None found so far. But I did find the following.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Waddington

Patrick Waddington (19 August 1903 – 4 February 1987) was an English actor, educated at Gresham's School, Holt, Norfolk. Born and died in York, England. He was the grandson of William Waddington the piano manufacturer who also took over the management of the Theatre Royal York. He started his career singing and in the 1930s was in That Certain Trio with Peggy Cochrane. He appeared in numerous plays, films and TV series including "Dad's Army". In 1951 he became General Secretary of TACT(The Actors Charitable Trust) and was headmaster of its childrens home Silverland until 1953. A plaque to commemorate him can be seen on York's Merchant Adventurers House. In 1986, he self-published his autobiography, Patrick: Or, That Awful Warning.

another from http://www.redirectify.com/people/patrick-waddington.html

Patrick Waddington
British actor
Patrick Waddington (19 August 1903 – 4 February 1987) was an English actor, educated at Gresham's School, Holt, Norfolk. Born and died in York, England. He was also an author, and has written many short stories. His stories are very well written. One good story is'The Street That Got Mislaid'.

there is another Patrick Waddington from New Zealand who wrote Russian books and also about Turgenev.
mfwaddington

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:39 pm
@carolhull,
dear carol
there are other stories as yet unpublished. i would like to know about how many readers might be interested.

sincerely
marcus waddington
0 Replies