Is 'paying by cash' correct?

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 09:56 am
Whether you are paying by your card or by cash, you can enjoy cheaper train and bus fares. The discounts are significant when you travel long distances.

I think paying by card is correct. But is paying by cash correct?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 639 • Replies: 16
Topic Closed

Region Philbis

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:04 am
@tanguatlay,

yes...
0 Replies

centrox

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:08 am
In BrE, pay with cash, pay by or with card.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 11:00 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
is paying by cash correct?

yes
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 11:13 am
Thanks to all of you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 01:22 pm
Yes indeed Tang, tho I'd'v writ

Whether paying by card or cash you can enjoy significantly cheaper train and bus discounts traveling long distances

...assuming of course it's true

0 Replies

centrox

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 01:44 pm
In BrE many will say we pay by a method other than handing over cash, e.g. credit card, debit card, postal order, cheque ("check"), direct bank transfer, telegraph money order, banker's draft, Western Union, etc, and that we pay with cash (physical, tangible notes and coins).

layman

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 07:41 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

In BrE many will say we pay by a method other than handing over cash, e.g. credit card, debit card, postal order, cheque ("check"), direct bank transfer, telegraph money order, banker's draft, Western Union, etc, and that we pay with cash (physical, tangible notes and coins).

I think it's exactly the same in the States. People know what you mean if you say you pay "by" cash, rather than "with" cash, but the "by" really means "via" or "by way of." Its useage is generally reserved for occasions when you are paying by some OTHER, more indirect, means than cash, e.g., by check.
roger

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 08:06 pm
Not to be confusing, but sometimes we (USA) sometimes just say "We pay cash."
ossobucotemp

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 09:33 pm
@roger,
I've also often heard of paying in cash, rather often; I am from the western US.
roger

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 09:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yeah. Maybe we should just scrap all prepositions.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:50 pm
I think even in American English, pay with cash or pay in cash is slightly preferable to pay by cash, but pay by cash is used a lot and is acceptable.
0 Replies

centrox

Sat 14 Jan, 2017 02:30 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I've also often heard of paying in cash

We say that too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 02:07 pm
@layman,
Im looking out the window and checking for flying pigs. I think I finally agree with this guy on something.
tanguatlay

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:50 am
@farmerman,
Thanks, again, to all of you.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 04:52 am
parijatrawat wrote:

Paying by cash for small amount is good rather than card, in the same way i think for big amount pay by card is more preferable & secured day.

In cash, what happen it can get stolen away if its your bad day!
In card, it can be stolen away then one can feel secure as it'd pin protected and get it freeze with the help of bank...
This is English forum.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 21 Jan, 2017 12:10 am
Quote tanguatlay:
Quote:
This is English forum.

By which Tanguatlay means that he was interested in whether the phrase "pay by cash" is grammatically correct. He was not interested in the values of paying with cash as opposed to paying with a credit card.

However, you are correct, when you pay with a credit card you have protection from theft that you don't have when you pay with cash.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is 'paying by cash' correct?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:15:08