Beatboxing

RyanO45

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 08:10 pm
Another hiatus. Another hopefully good post. Anyways, time to talk about my personal story and why I beatbox. I would describe beatboxing as a forgotten modern art because it's not as mainstream as other forms of music because people don't exactly respect others who have the talent.
I beatbox for a few reasons.

Firstly, I thought it was cool. I wanted to be known for something at my school and beatboxing it is. I quickly picked up the basics and started showing my talent off to my friends. Though be it, I have received my fair share of hate through the internet slowly making their way over to my posts but I just shrug it off.

My next reason is that it helped me get through hard times. For anyone going through depression, try something new. You'll take your mind off of depression for a good while and keep trying to do new things whether it's new talents or going new places. This is advice coming from myself, a person who has faced depression and overcome it.

My third reason was to learn something as a New Year's resolution. We all set New Year's resolutions however we end up breaking them within a month. I set this goal for myself to learn and become a better beatboxer by the end of the year. What do you know? I've kept my promise simply because I enjoy it. I never knew I would enjoy it this much whether it was because of me posting on social media about it or just practicing.

My last reason was to join the community and speak out against those who hate beatboxing or have their own opinions on it and try to hate on us. We are one, we are a community and we are together.
I have been beatboxing since New Year's of 2016 so roughly 8 months at the time of this post. I've enjoyed every single bit of this journey and I've even met some pretty big names in Toronto as beatboxing goes.

If you have any questions to ask me, ask them below whether it be beatboxing related or personal like social media. Anyways, thanks for reading and have wonderful rest of your day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,274 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 08:22 pm
@RyanO45,
I find beatboxing absolutely fascinating.

I really first paid attention to it as an art a few years ago at University of Toronto's annual Festival of Dance. They had an amazing troupe of beatboxers and dancers performing together. I came out of that show wishing they had beatboxing for mmmmmm old ladies Smile

An amazing art and skill.

What kinds of sounds are your best?
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 09:42 pm
My kid's school has both beatbox and rap battles during lunch breaks. Sadly, parents don't get to attend. I love it.

Way to stick with it and good luck to you!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 02:53 am
RyanO45

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I personally use a mix of sounds in the drum kit like the kick bass, k snare, and high hat long with clicking noises and even laser sounds. Of course, you can't forget about the b b b b bass. *insert unoriginal wub wub wub bass joke here* *cough cough I'm bad at jokes* It's honestly just personal preference on what sounds you use. I mainly use those because they're not only easy but they fit my style and they fit really well with eachother rather than what everyone else is trying to do like lip rolls and stuff which is really hard.
0 Replies

RyanO45

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:41 pm
@boomerang,
I'd love to go to your child's school one day. Is it a highschool? If so, perfect for me as long as it's close to where I live (probably not). I do have plans to possibly tour around the high schools in my area with some older beatboxers I know who can help me with it.
0 Replies

RyanO45

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:50 pm
@izzythepush,
This has like almost nothing to do with beatboxing at all lol. I really don't understand the lyrics in this song unless it's one of those songs that just doesn't make sense in the first place, then ok.
0 Replies