Centenarian's 100 meter dash!

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:34 pm
Quote:
100 year-old woman breaks Guinness World Record in 100 meter dash

A 100-year-old runner in South Carolina broke a new record in the 100 meter dash.

Ella Mae Colbert attempted to break the Guinness World Record for fastest 100 meter dash by a runner over 100 years old.

Colbert got off to a shaky start when she tripped and fell, but with a band-aid on her chin, she went back to the starting line and took off.

The former teacher shattered the current 1:17 record by crossing the finish line in just 46 seconds.

Her family has already applied with the Guinness Book of World Records to make sure her historic run is official.
(whdh)

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/HT_ella_mae_colbert_mm_160518_31x13_1600.jpg

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:38 pm
@Region Philbis,
I don't know if I should be surprised that the record time is that long, but I guess most of these events involve getting a centenarian to move that far in the first place.

I wonder how long it would take me to walk 100 meters...
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Quote:
I wonder how long it would take me to walk 100 meters...
in your current condition, prolly more than a minute...

it's stories like these that inspire me to stay in shape and push the outside of the envelope a little bit...

R(now excuse me, gotta go do 51 push-ups)P
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:49 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm actually walking almost normally now. Never bothered to use my crutches except the first day or so.

Thing is, maybe I am just imagining things wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but 1 minute sounds long to me even for hopping on one leg, or using crutches.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 05:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I'm actually walking almost normally now.
nice...

i'll have to map out a 100m stretch somewhere to see how long it would take me to walk, jog, and (maybe) sprint it...
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 05:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
I just did some quick math that showed my estimates were wrong. Average walking speed is 5 kilometers per hour, which is (rounded) 1.4 meters a second.

So the average person would take longer than a minute to walk it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Centenarian's 100 meter dash!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 10:06:03