Musicians We are Losing

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:18 pm
We get lots of reaction when the biggies die. Prince, David Bowie -
When a Lonnie Mack dies, it scarcely gets a notice. Lonnie died today. I would like to keep this thread going for the musicians who might otherwise garner no notice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,480 • Replies: 31
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:19 pm
Lonnie died today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 02:03 pm
'ME AND MRS. JONES' SINGER BILLY PAUL DIES AT 81
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:59 pm
Julius La Rosa: Singer Known for Being Fired on the Air by Arthur Godfrey Dies at 86
The 1950s singer died from natural causes in his sleep Thursday in Crivitz, Wis., his daughter said. Godfrey said he fired Smith in 1953 because he got an agent and lacked "humility.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 11:47 pm
Emilio Navaira dies at 53
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 09:44 am
Guy Clark dead at 74
Ragman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 10:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for sharing. Sad that he's gone at such a young age. I was not aware of just who Guy Clark was. I can see Jimmy Buffett and he share a similar style (not to mention covering his songs).

I learned of this song as a result of Tom Rush and making this a hit, along with so many others.

Here's Guy's version:

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 11:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Neat thread, many of these I had not heard of. It's sometimes sad that we tend to discover artists or better appreciation of them only after they die. I wish they could see the acclaim etc sometimes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 02:38 pm
Navaira was a stranger to me, but I like his songs now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 11:36 pm
Beastie Boys: John Berry, Original Member of Hip-Hop Group, Dies at 52
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 02:34 pm
Nick Menza, former drummer for the influential metal band Megadeth, died after collapsing on stage during a performance of his progressive jazz trio in Southern California, a family spokesman said Sunday.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 06:03 am

CHRISTINA GRIMMIE, YOUTUBE STAR AND REALITY SHOW CONTESTANT, SHOT AND KILLED AT ORLANDO CONCERT
ORLANDO, FL -- A gunman opened fire at a Florida concert venue as a onetime star of "The Voice" signed autographs for fans after a show, killing the female performer before fatally shooting himself, officials said Saturday.

A publicist for Christina Grimmie, Heather Walsh, said in an email early Saturday that "we can confirm that Christina has passed and went home to be with the Lord." The Orlando Police Department also confirmed on its official Twitter page that Grimmie had died.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 04:32 pm
Chips Moman: Producer and Musician Dies Day After 79th Birthday, Music Industry Associate Confirms
Born June 12, 1937, Lincoln "Chips" Moman died Monday at a hospice facility in LaGrange, Ga., Marty Lacker said. He produced hits for Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 06:46 pm
Henry McCullough, Former Paul McCartney and Joe Cocker Guitarist, Dead at 72
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 08:15 pm
By Bob Mehr of The Commercial Appeal

Scotty Moore, one of the foundational figures in rock and roll, a profoundly influential guitarist, and the man who helped Elvis Presley become the king, died Tuesday.

Moore, who had been in poor health in recent months, died in his longtime home of Nashville. He was 84.

News of Moore's death was confirmed by several sources, including Moore's friend and Phillips Recording Service engineer Matt Ross-Spang.

Along with bassist Bill Black, Moore was a member of Elvis' original band, the Blue Moon Boys, playing on the singer's epochal Sun Records sides, and continuing to work with Presley into his career with RCA.

Moore — a longtime member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — was elected to the Memphis Music hall of Fame last November. Though he was unable to attend due to his health, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards accepted the award on his behalf.

Richards praised Moore's influence on his career and those of so many other guitarists. "I started out on an acoustic guitar, then I heard Scotty Moore and I went electric. He opened up avenues musically in the way he worked with (bassist) Bill Black, and Elvis, of course. That was the kick-off for me and a lot of guys."

Services for Moore will be Thursday in his hometown of Humboldt, Tennessee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 06:27 pm
Rob Wasserman: Grammy Award-Winning Musician and Composer Dies, Former Band Member Confirms
Wasserman played upright bass for the rock band RatDog. "I can still hear the sound of his bow playing those strings unamplified and pure," band member Bob Weir wrote, confirming the news Wednesday.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 07:36 pm
Erik Petersen: Frontman of Folk-Punk Band Mischief Brew Dies, Report Says
Punknews reported that the Philadelphia band was preparing for a European tour. It released its album, "This Is Not for Children," in 2015 on Alternative Tentacles Records. Their last show was July 8.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:41 pm
Bonnie Brown, of The Browns
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2016 11:43 am
Pete Fountain: New Orleans Jazz Clarinetist Dies at 86, Family Says
Fountain died early Saturday morning, his family said. He has appeared on the "Tonight Show" nearly 60 times, performed at the White House and at the 1987 New Orleans Papal Mass.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 08:20 am
Country Songwriter Richard Fagan Dead at 69
Philadelphia native penned songs for Neil Diamond, George Strait and John Michael Montgomery, among others

0 Replies