HE SAID WHAT?

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:07 pm
I don't know if this thread will take off, but i'll give it a shot. Saab commented that there are contemporary songs in English which are incomprehensible, even to native speakers. I can't argue with that. So i posted this song--and then i thought of this for a thread. A thread about incomprehensible songs.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,640 • Replies: 29
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:11 pm
Oh, there's this one ....

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:13 pm
Al Yankovic wanted to do a parody of that song, and it so happened that he knew a cast member of Saturday Night Live, whose musical guests that week were Nirvana. So he called his friend, and she put Kurt Cobain on the phone. Kurt said "It's not about food is it?" (a lot of Weird Al's early songs were). Al told him no, that it was about incomprehensible song lyrics. To his credit, Kurt laughed and said to go ahead.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:14 pm
I hadn't thought of that one, Jessalonika . . . good lookin' out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:17 pm
Richard Harris . . . really?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:21 pm
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 04:10 pm

R.E.M ~ The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 04:14 pm
Good one, Region . . . REM will be a fertile field.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 05:38 pm
@Setanta,
ok, this isn't about an entire song, but I just learned the real words to the refrain of a song I've always loved.

England Dan and John Ford Coley's "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight"

I always thought they were singing "I'm not talkin' 'bout millenium" which makes perfect sense to me. He's not talking about staying together forever, just come over tonight, which is cool with me.

Just discovered the words are "I'm not talkin' 'bout moving in", which is really dumb and lame and stupid and ruins the whole song for me.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 01:48 am
I can only understand about half of this . . . and why are those two women just standing there?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:19 am
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:21 am
@jespah,
Jespah
you choose a good one - teaching young people to say NO.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:34 am
Birdhouse in your Soul........

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:41 am
Oh, good one . . .

Maybe we should add Mondegreens to this . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:55 am
From Wickerpedia:

Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a poem or a song; the listener, being unable to clearly hear a lyric, substitutes words that sound similar, and make some kind of sense. American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term in her essay "The Death of Lady Mondegreen", published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954. The term was inspired by "...and Lady Mondegreen", a misinterpretation of the line "...and laid him on the green" from the Scottish ballad "The Bonnie Earl O' Moray".
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:58 am
The author of this song says that he was inspired by the Sci Fi motion picture Silent Running, which is bizarre, as it has absolutely no relationship to the song.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 03:45 am
@Setanta,

Mondegreens -- at least you think you know what they're saying, as opposed to the other kind, where you have no effing clue...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 03:55 am
System of a Down, in the song "Aerials" sing: "Life is a waterfall, you walk in the river then your turn around a put up a wall." I used to sing: ". . . then you turn around and go to the mall." Just because it p*ssed people off.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 04:21 am
Speaking of SOAD, the world's greatest Armenian heavy metal band, here's one of my favorites. All of their lyrics are incomprehensible.

0 Replies