Only pretty women sell

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 11:52 am
Don't you just love how one of the new Arby's commericals has a girl practically naked on a car eating a sandwich?
Why is this never tried with guys?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 9,069 • Replies: 24
Topic Closed
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 11:55 am
@cocodarling10,
Witch women are not pretty ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 11:57 am
@cocodarling10,
cocodarling10 wrote:

Why is this never tried with guys?

I'm pretty sure it is.
Blickers

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 11:58 am
@cocodarling10,
My guess-Arby's research has shown that younger men eat most of their product. Which would figure, since women are on diets more often than men. Hence, the commercials aimed at younger men.
ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
here's a pinterest page with some examples

https://www.pinterest.com/bembridge/men-as-sex-objects-in-ads/

(took less than a second on google and got plenty of hits)

http://www.mainstreethost.com/blog/sex-sells-sexy-men-objectification-men-advertising/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:01 pm
@cocodarling10,
is there a new Arby's ad? the last time they were commented on for sexy ads was back in 2008
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:04 pm
@cocodarling10,
It's probably a good idea to do a little research in the area before posting.

There's objectification on both sides. I think it's usually pretty stupid, but I'm outside the prime target group for most marketers.
cocodarling10

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:07 pm
@Blickers,
Fair point, but what does that teach other people? If guys only become interested in things because women sell it towards them, that's a pretty awful message. I saw a video called "Killing Us Softly" that talks about a lot of this, too. Women are on diets more often, true, but maybe that's partially because media is telling them they have to be through messages like this. (Not saying there aren't women out there that are on diets just to be healthy, but we all know eating disorders and 'overdieting' is a real thing these days)
ossobuco

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:07 pm
@Blickers,
I only ate at Arby's once, long ago. Horrible food at the time, maybe in the 70's.
They had their chance.

On the question, lots of people can sell. There is the recent retirement of that handsome old guy pushing some beer; people liked his commercials; he was in them for quite a long time.
cocodarling10

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:10 pm
@ehBeth,
I watched documentaries from a series called "Killing Us Softly" that's why I wanted to see what everyone else's opinions are. Also, since I'm in a science degree, I found an article called "Science, Sex, and Stereotypical Images in Scientific Advertising" which brought up the issue in a different area in society other than just food. I posted this question because a friend of mine was concerned about it the other night and brought it up and now I feel like I just see that a lot more often. Sure, cologne commercials have guys in it that are scantily dressed but the chances of having a woman versus a man without clothing in a commercial is like 90% to 10% which is ridiculous. It doesn't send a very good message to kids, especially since they grow up watching more tv and reading magazines than previous generations.
ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:12 pm
@cocodarling10,
Forget about teaching. That's a very specific type of advertising , not used for products.

___

What kind of advertising is successful for products - it's a very interesting area of study.

There are some excellent podcasts here

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence

worth listening to if you're interested in why/how advertising works. Terry has a great way of explaining things.
cocodarling10

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:12 pm
@ossobuco,
True, Arby's is really disgusting and I haven't eaten there in years but a friend of mine mentioned the commercial to me and after seeing it, along with other recent commercials (Like Heidi Klum in her new clothing line commercial) just thought I'd get others' opinions.

Can honestly say I've never seen that commercial. I don't usually have time to watch TV until much later in the day/at night so maybe these are also targeted for the time of day?
ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:13 pm
@cocodarling10,
cocodarling10 wrote:
I posted this question because a friend of mine was concerned about it the other night and brought it up and now I feel like I just see that a lot more often.

this is a very normal psychological phenomenon (well-researched over the past 50 - 60 years)
cocodarling10

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:14 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm just worried about subliminal messages, regardless of product there's a suspicious underlying message that advertising uses.
ossobuco

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:14 pm
@cocodarling10,
Take a good look at Sports Illustrated's website. Grrrr. It seems they think none of us women might ever be interested in sports. I used to subscribe, back when I was around twenty.
On the other hand, some of those guys, the players, are not hard on the eyes..
cocodarling10

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:15 pm
@ehBeth,
True, found that out a few years ago when I told my friend about a particular car that I really liked then started seeing it everywhere and she told me about that psychological aspect but that's not really the point.
ossobuco

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:17 pm
@cocodarling10,
I don't even have a tv. I did, though, used to be pretty interested in advertising. My father was in it, and I considered it as a career, way back when.
0 Replies

cocodarling10

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh I'm a HUGE football fan, which presents other issues but we won't get in to those today haha.
But even so, sure you'll see guys in tight clothing but most of the time still covered. At least more so than women. Though I won't deny that portraying guys the way they do definitely helps them sell.
When ESPN does their body issue magazines, that's usually the only time of year my friends are interested in sports.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:22 pm
@cocodarling10,
Ah, yes, Vance Packard and The Hidden Persuaders, I remember it well. Or sort of well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:22 pm
@cocodarling10,
Listen to the podcasts. You'll learn a lot.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Only pretty women sell
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:56:45