Books read in a month

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:59 pm
How many books did you read last month? Do you read only hard print books or only from a e reader?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 3,003 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:09 pm
@midnightblu2009,
Two. I don't use an electronic book reader.
Why do you ask? How many did you read?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:02 pm
@midnightblu2009,
Depends on the type of book. I can go through police or law procedural novels quite fast.

This week I started to read a translation of Niccolo Machiavelli's Florentine Histories. I'm still on the Introduction, admittedly only one "sitting", and I was already sleepy. Over the years I've read a lot of authors' writings about the history/stories of Florence so it won't all be new, but I'm betting his take on what he calls the histories will be, at the least, interesting. We'll see.

My reading count varies not only by type of book but whether or not I've a subscription to the New Yorker that year, as I read most of the articles in that magazine if I get it.

I may have more non-internet reading time from now on. Most news websites are now aggravating me with their new formats designed for easy use with smart phones.
0 Replies

Ben Grizby

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:22 pm
I have been struggling with "The Manly Art of Knitting". Not a difficult book to read, but I just do not understand the knitting process.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:10 pm
@Ben Grizby,
Does it have drawings or photos?
I knit for years and years (using knitting type books to figure things out) but was first taught by my mother, which probably was a big help re just how to hold stuff..
I stopped when I got into drawing and painting, but I still have yarn and lots of different how-to books, and a large jar of different needles.

Is there a craft type store around you?

Also, welcome to a2k, Ben Grisby

0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:19 pm
@Ragman,
My husband has an e-reader and is member of a book club that gives discounts (Amazon). I get it...yet I still can't warm up to them. I love thumbing through the pages of a book... I'm old-fashioned I guess. I have 2 e-readers at home that are not in use. I also like to purchase them and read them over again. I guess that's why Barnes &Noble is still afloat. I think I'm getting persuaded though....my husbands never runs out of supply while I do....
Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:36 pm
@Germlat,
Drop a paperback or a hardcover on a tile floor and what happens?
Now drop an e-book on a tile floor...
Germlat

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:38 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Drop a paperback or a hardcover on a tile floor and what happens?
Drop an e-book on a tile floor...

I know right?! Still--I see the value...but--I simply can't make the transition.
Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:40 pm
@Germlat,
So, aren't we in agreement? Non-ebook?
Germlat

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:42 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

So, aren't we in agreement? Non-ebook?

Yes...I'm not there yet. It makes me a little sad to not hold a book..:-)
Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:59 pm
@Germlat,
No batteries needed.
The tactile feel of the paper makes me happy plus there's no glare on the page. And I can put a fun bookmark (artful prints) inside and it makes me warm and fuzzy.
Germlat

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 06:32 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

No batteries needed.
The tactile feel of the paper makes me happy plus there's no glare on the page. And I can put a fun bookmark (artful prints) inside and it makes me warm and fuzzy.

Yes!! And you can own them too!! I'm with you...I love the feel...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 06:59 pm
Last month I read all the books containing the phrase, "Won't you have another cup of tea?" And I have to say they were all ****.
Germlat

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Why was that your choice? Just curious.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:21 pm
@Germlat,
What phrase would you suggest?
boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:22 pm
@midnightblu2009,
I typically read 3 or 4 books a month, depending on available time and the complexity of the book.

I use both physical books and an e-reader.

I LOVE my e-reader and would use it for everything but it's awful for books with footnotes or illustrations or anything you want to flip back and forth to.

Some books, like "S" or "House of Leaves" would be worthless on an e-reader.

"Device 6" has to be read/solved on a tablet computer.

I like having options.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What phrase would you suggest?

I'm not even sure what we're talking about anymore. I'm sure there's something I missed.....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Sorry for interrupting a literary discussion, but I suspect you might be a little odd in other respects.
0 Replies

theideasman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 03:09 am
@midnightblu2009,
dont really read (takes too much time and im super busy) but i walk a lot to like work and stuff ... so i find audio books are the easiest way to consume knowledge
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 03:41 am
I read six to eight books a month--that's the hold-in-your-habd, turn-the-pages-manually type of book.
0 Replies