satyesu

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 01:03 pm
My Dungeons & Dragons group is in a heated discussion about the ethics of killing sentient creatures, specifically orcs and goblins. My dad advised me to put forth that they should offer surrender, but they have brought up the issue of "if we capture and tie them up (eg), what if they escape and follow us and stab us in the back, or wait for us to head out of the dungeon? I know it's a game, but we're roleplaying.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,023 • Replies: 6
No top replies

victorcarjan

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 02:07 pm
@satyesu,
Maybe you have to talk to them and become their friends. Convince them to not want to hurt you. Why do those orcs and goblins dislike you in the first place? Did you steal their artifact or trespass on in their living room?

maybe they can join you and help in your quest? Or, if you're not sure about trusting them, make sure they are closely watched until trust can be established. I think just because they are orcs and goblins doesn't mean they have to be bad guys that get killed. They probably just had a really rough upbringing and everyone has prejudice against them from all the stories they heard. It also doesn't help that they don't look like humans or elves, people get scared and that hurts the orcs and goblins.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 02:11 pm
@satyesu,
Do unto others before them others do unto you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 03:57 pm
@satyesu,
satyesu wrote:
I know it's a game, but we're roleplaying.

What are your alignments?
satyesu

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 04:12 pm
@oralloy,
We're not using good-law-chaos-evil spectrums. We still want a sense of what is right.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 04:26 pm
@satyesu,
satyesu wrote:
We still want a sense of what is right.

Is massacring an enemy after they have surrendered "right" or "wrong"?

Incidentally, if your characters are distrustful that the orcs will sneak up behind them, they could be extra cautious and be on their guard for a sudden attack from the rear.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 04:28 pm
Man, these boards need more intelligence. They are so boring and riddled with casual small talk. It's like everyone's brain cells are slowly melting away from the 1% of cosmic microwave background left over by the Big Bang because there wasn't that many brain cells to begin with.

We need more of this: http://www.math.unl.edu/~sdunbar1/ExperimentationCR/Lessons/Fibonacci/FibonacciII/fibonacci241x.png

or

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/6f/c5/09/6fc509be7f890200ff57248c771e783a.jpg

or

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/04/29/86/042986ebfbd48ac066cb176f7d6c0a2b.jpg
0 Replies