Serial Comma

Naviva

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 05:21 pm
Hi,

If I am to follow serial comma - should there be a comma before "and" in the following sentence - "keep your information safe, from data center to user, and all points in between."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 695 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 05:36 pm
@Naviva,
I don't see an example of serial commas in that sentence. The second comma is nonsensical, so i removed it in my example.

"Keep your information safe, from data center to user and all points in between."

Serial commas would look something like this: "From our garden we harvested currants, strawberries, peas, beans and onions this year."

No, i would not use a comma before the "and" which closes the series.
Doubtful

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:33 am
@Setanta,
No, i would not use a comma before the "and" which closes the series.

If the series has three or more elements, the comma before "and" should be used in American English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 02:29 am
The use of commas is a matter of style not grammatical "rules." Note that the article you linked recognizes different usages. There is not "should be used."
0 Replies

Mika Anna

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 05:49 pm
@Naviva,
It's a choice whether or not it's there, but you need to be consistent. I like having the comma because it reduces confusion in some situations (My favorite foods are apples, chocolate and peanut butter and jelly), but at the end of the day, just choose one way and stick with it.
0 Replies