THE INTERNET VON NEUMANN EFFECT

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 02:15 am
There was a Hungarian polymath named John von Neumann (that's the American version) who made important contributions in a number of fields, including mathematics, physics and computer programming, to name but a few. His name has been given to self-replicating machines, because of the concept that we might explore the universe with automated machines which can repair or replicate themselves from matter they encounter in their travels. This brings up lots of problems, which i won't go into here. Carl Sagan came up with the idea that a truly intelligent civilization would not make von Neumann probes because of the implicit threat to the cosmos, and would destroy any such probes that it found.

Which beings me to the idea of the internet von Neumann effect. When spambots first appeared here, a year ago in May, they usually had European sounding names which they got from name generators. That entire system has broken down, though, because it was overused. As an example, such a name generator, having assigned Joekelly to one request, would eventually come up with ridiculous things like Jookelly or Joekally. You can, in fact, see that happenign with some of the almost, but not quite European sounding names that spambots are now using.

So my concept of the internet von Neumann effect is to ask how long it will take for spammers and spambots to use up every possible combination of letters and numbers in the creation of account names, to the point that no one, human or bot, can any longer register at a website. As i say, they are already showing signs of having exhauster name generators. How long until the entire system collapses?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 03:05 am
@Setanta,
Sites like a2k are going to need to purge inactive or expelled members and rerelease the previously used usernames back into the wild on a regular basis.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 03:09 am
@tsarstepan,
I hadn't thought of that--a lot of sites will need to do that. I'm not going to give the spammers any tips, but there are a variety of ways that humans who don't rely on name generators can register, and you can tell them from the spambots by the user names they register with.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 04:20 am
@Setanta,
Unfortunately I think they will always find a way to adapt. When I ran into the same problem years ago I simply added digits to the end of my name. I suppose eventually they may need so many digits that they will become recognizable again, but the options for evolution are probably endless.

Maybe Sagan was wrong and we've already unwittingly sown the seeds of the self replicators.

Perhaps the universe will succumb not to aggression but to spam overload. Out with a whimper instead of a bang so to speak 😉
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:24 am
@Setanta,
I like this idea of Spam Neumann Replicators Smile

I imagine a sci-fi story in which hapless aliens across the Universe are overwhelmed by Spam Replicators trying to sell them penis enlargement pills. The poor aliens desperately try to defeat the replicators as their best scientists scramble to decode the message so they can communicate with the replicators and finally figure out what a penis is.
panzade

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:44 am
Good thread. Funny stuff rosborne.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 10:13 am
I second that, Pan, Roswell has a wonderful sense of humor.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 01:55 pm
@rosborne979,
Long before spam texts reach aliens, they will have already been driven insane and ready to destroy the source of the incessant idiocy transmitted non-stop via radio and broadcast.

When they figure out what the penis is, they will want to order as many as they can to use as ear plugs. Our Christians will then have a new crusade to pray away the despicable alien sexual practice of sticking enlarged penises in their ears.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 12:34 am
@Butrflynet,
A profound insight which would never have occurred to me.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 12:40 am
@Butrflynet,
I suppose that's one way to f--k one's brains out.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 01:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Actually, I've been wondering what percent of our current enormous membership is added because one - time spammers. I'm quite certain it exceeds active posters by a comfortable margin.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 10:03 am
@Setanta,
Poppycock!
There can be only one Setantatata.
0 Replies