Babe I'm Going to Leave You

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 09:13 am
The Miley Cyrus cover of this song has stirred some interest in the origin of it.

Anne Bredon (born Anne Loeb on September 7, 1930 in Berkeley, California) is an American folk singer, best known for composing the song Babe I'm Gonna Leave You while she was a student at University of California, Berkeley in the late 1950s. Bredon is the daughter of physicist Leonard Loeb and granddaughter of physiologist Jacques Loeb. She majored in art at Humboldt State University and completed her master's degree in mathematics at Berkeley, California.[1]
Some time around 1960, while attending Berkeley, Bredon appeared on a live folk-music radio show, The Midnight Special, on radio station KPFA singing Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You.[2] Janet Smith, another folk singer, developed her own version of the song and performed it on the same radio show some time later, catching the attention of Joan Baez who used the song on Joan Baez in Concert, Part 1 (1963).[2] The song was initially credited as "Traditional, arr. Baez" but properly attributed on Baez' 1964 sheet music, The Joan Baez Song Book.[2]
The English rock band Led Zeppelin covered the song after hearing Baez's version, crediting the song as "Trad., arr. Page". In the 1980s Bredon was made aware of Led Zeppelin's version of the song and so, since 1990, this version has been credited to Anne Bredon/Jimmy Page & Robert Plant: Bredon received a substantial back-payment in royalties.[3]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 2
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 09:28 am
The Joan Baez cover is blocked.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 10:54 am
@edgarblythe,