After 21 Years

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:00 pm
My karaoke show at Fat Daddy's, the longest running show in North Carolina comes to an end. After I say goodnight the whole place closes it's doors. 21 years. I think I can walk away with my head up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,679 • Replies: 16
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:48 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
What are you going to pick for the last song?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:17 pm
@boomerang,
If anybody asks for McAuthers Park, pretend you don't have it.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:18 pm
@glitterbag,
I think I misspelled the title, but if I look it up I might actually hear Richard Harris singing it.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:30 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Awright! Keep yer head up, Bear! Remember -- you probably provided some couples (certainly more than just one) with moments they will remember forever.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:48 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced.-Dropkick Murphys
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:16 pm
Where's the next gig,
boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:57 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I don't know that song but it sounds like a good fit.

Try to fit in "Burning Down The House" in there somewhere towards the end. It's a great "I'm leaving and not coming back" song.

When I think of how much my life has changed in the last 21 years I realize what a huge, long run you've had there. Wow. I'm sure good things await you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:24 am
How about this?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 07:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Where's the next gig,

I wish I knew. I need one club gig a week to supplement my private party and wedding business but clubs want 20 somethings that work for dick. Something will turn up. One thing I know for certain is that I'm going to resist taking another Sunday, not to say I won't if I have to.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:55 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
The business has sure changed from when I roadied Wild Butter on a tour of Pennsylvania colleges warming up for Jefferson Airplane for $2.50 tickets. And we saw James Gang for a dollar cover at Pirates Cove upstairs in Kent.

Now a friend of mine who blew horns for Tin Huey, the Waitresses, B-52 has a son who's half of the Black Keys. And another old friend, Jerry Casale died a couple of weeks past,

Know what they call a drummer who lost girlfriend?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:16 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

boomerang wrote:

Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced.-Dropkick Murphys

I love that song, it was the one we chose to have our first dance at our wedding. ahhhh memories
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

The business has sure changed from when I roadied Wild Butter on a tour of Pennsylvania colleges warming up for Jefferson Airplane for $2.50 tickets. And we saw James Gang for a dollar cover at Pirates Cove upstairs in Kent.

Now a friend of mine who blew horns for Tin Huey, the Waitresses, B-52 has a son who's half of the Black Keys. And another old friend, Jerry Casale died a couple of weeks past,

Know what they call a drummer who lost girlfriend?

I've been contacted by three clubs to do karaoke. they offered me 150.00. Fat chance.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 03:55 pm
tonight's the night. The place is going to be a madhouse
glitterbag

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 06:47 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Clubs aren't going to draw the same age group if they hire a 20 something. You most likely have regulars who come to all of your shows, clubs will lose revenue if they don't hire you at the proper rate. I could play recordings for a crowd, but I don't have the showmanship to make it fun. I'm sure something will shake out soon, some of your regulars will probably be asking clubs to hire you, they will still try to get you cheap, tell them to pound sand or something more rock & rollish.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:01 am
I'm not concerned. Another karaoke operator who came to my show last night and got pissed off because I didn't get her up in what she considered a timely manner is all over facebook today talking about how I suck, my system sucks, even saying that squinney was throwing people's cards away. It's hilarious. It never ceases to amaze me the people whose entire LIVES are immersed in the karaoke sub culture. That's not me and never was. I put on the best show I can, get my money and go home. It's a job. Play, pay, go away. Laughing
glitterbag

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 12:39 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I hate facebook
0 Replies