orogenic gold prospecting

matt--6

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:57 pm
Hi everyone my name is Matt.

I'm an undergrad at UBC in Vancouver and am completing an honours degree in geological science... I'm in an advanced mineral deposists course and our final project is as follows...

A 1 million dollar budget: To stake and claim an orogenic gold property, as well as present a comprehensive exploration plan.

Currently my group has narrowed it down to a property in northern sasketchewan near flin flon and la range.

So far the property has had some minor trench sampling.

Does anyone have any advice on how they would approach the exploration process? We need to conatct actual companies and present actual quotes.

The main barrier I'm hvaing trouble resolving is that geophysical techniques aren't very efficent for locating the orogenic gold deposits..... and as far as i am aware orogenic gold can have variable geochemical signatures, which don't neceassirly always indicate the presence of orogenic gold... we want to avoid getting confused or tricked a porphyry deposit.

I'm basically looking for any advice.... or information on a company or two that I could call who would be REALLY PATIENT AND HELPFUL... so i dont waste time looking around

Hoping for some expert advice to help me narrow some ideas down, and make this as time efficent of a process as possible... also we dont have our hearts set on the saskatchewan property so that is open to critisism as well

Thanks for your time

Matt
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,538 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 08:04 pm
@matt--6,
without doing your work for you, is it syn or post tectonic?
You say geophys wont work? If its post tectonic hydroT deposits, why not microgravity ? That's economical AND CHEAP
if YOUR site is a couple hundred hectares Id look at some arial spec and lidar.

youre gonna come down to A rod and coring if you wish to know % per ton.
I cant believe you've not got some good company contacts at your location. Canada has some of the best field outfits around and each company has its own type of software for exploration budgeting. (Think of it as an early job interview if youre being attracted by filed work before grad school)

I cant give you much more help except for stuff like this because youre job is going to be mostly accounting to stay on budget (We all went through it and I had to move stuff around to balnce a field program that started ballooning)

DO YOU HVE training in Trend surface analyses, Krigging statistics or variograms? Thatll help you converge your drilling and help you economize on the center spacing (it works-get your filed team together and find out whos the best at handling all the statistics)

I hope its hydrothermal, that's easy. If its syntectonic, its a bit harder, but your soil sampling comes in handy, (if you've kept good mapping data) should be easy to conduct the chemistry .(if you have any rock samples you can even do EDAX on some polished sections
See Freeman J et al on soil analyses of gold and silver prospects
matt--6

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:55 pm
@farmerman,
dont worry theres no way i would let you do my work, and im not sure how you could... anyway i'd say having the idea to try a forum and make an account and send messages back and forth is still doing my work, this is part of the project talking and working things out with industry experienced people, i'd say it counts as puting my time in, and in the end will gain the learning eperience, i'm busy don't worry im not escaping and just sitting on my couch, im trying to put my learning experience on steroids for this bit of the project if possible. This is one of six courses and five labs that im taking, time efficiency is the most important thing i can do right now, and i plan on persueing hydrogeology(remmediation and such) not economic geology so my main focus is not necessarily this project ( budgeting and cost projecting). I know there are plenty of great companies you're right!... what im hoping is that someone has experience with one they would reccomend... or if you have advice on how to appraoch a company with what we already have for the property..I've never done any of this so im just seeing what the wonderful geology world/internet can help me figure out a little quicker. With that said I'm stoked somone answered. thanks for all that info!

we have 71 rock samples and 23.90 g/t Au and 503 g/t Ag.. Arsenopyrite hosts the gold... its kind of weak but there is a lot of silicification at the surface which we think may represent a larger fluid system underground... So we're in a post tectonic hydro deposit

consists mainly of granitoid plutons, with a few greenstone belts between the plutonic rocks. Its in the glennie domain.... tons of gold has been found in this region already

We should deffinitely go for a GIS survey
The only reason i said no geophys is because i had talk with my proffessor and he mentioned it wouldn't be our best bet...

drilling is gonna kill our budget... so we need to do as little as possible? how should that work into planning? i understand the concept of converging the drilling.... so is the best thing to do: do a geophys microgravity... followed by a few drill holes based on that data...

does it come down to choosing the next method and just going with it... or is there some sort of like logical way of talking about what should come next...should we do a bit more trenching first... i have bedrock and steep cliffs heavily wooded... muskeg... theres a fault along the eastern edge of the property.. lakes cover about 25% of the property.... if geophys is cheap why have none of the previous folks who staked the property have done one yet?

or what sort of things should i be thinking about or would you be thinking about? im just after some conversation and opinion about how to do this the best way possible...
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:48 am
@matt--6,
sounds like you've got a tough one matt. When you said that its hoted in an arsenopyrite I cringed. Recovery off arsenopyrites is usually not great so your mineral concentrates need some consideration.
Ive used chemical biooxidation or pyrolysis to convert the whole hot to pyhrotite and then leach with CN.
Your chemistry needs some more careful planning.

I don't know why the microgravity wont work you've got entire high silicate belts that should define your area(unless you want to use a more expensive means like multispectral scanning from the air(which Id combine with some lidar to get a topo and chem map)

You will be doing drilling just try not to underpower yourself cause youll waste precious field time trying to cut costs.
(Its often a toss up with fast pproaching field season)
How many holes were you planning? That's where krigging can give you some direction after say 4 holes are in.

Keep posting as you guys start getting your field program fleshed out. Ive been in the field for about 30+ years and some of my most fun projects were hydrogeo controls of Au/Ag/Pt bearing waters , so wed set up efficient collection galleries using pumping and ion exchange columns from Rohm And Haas. (I think if you call their techy reps they can supply you with hydrogeo systems that can turn 30ppm concentration into economically viable recoveries.

your already at 1 oz/t Au and almost 20 oz/t Ag so Ill bet you've got some recoverable stibnite as well .
Sounds like fun. Is there an actual field site or is this one been "doctored" to provide you some considerations
matt--6

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 09:55 pm
@farmerman,
we won! haha out of seven groups (of five ppl each) .. we got a big novelty cheque... we even beat two groups full of grad students.... our property had the best showings and is close to infrastrcture, perfectly contrsained by tectonic age and setting and in the right facies transition zone ... we went with till sampling, geochem analysis, ip resistivity and chargeability, vlf em, for our exploration techniques we even planned our mapping routes and camp location and spcaings we would use and all that... it was a good project... thanks for the response! our budegt came in at 992 000 for a full 3 month blitz of the property!
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 03:18 am
@matt--6,
Excellent work. Its amazing how Wenner spacing has made a huge comeback now with computer mapping availability.
What did your show finally produce (in oz/T)?.

PS, how did you handle the beneficiation of the arsenopyrite? That's a tricky matrix. Did you do any real sampling or was this pretty much a proposal?
0 Replies