How does the desire for moral license affect your decisions?

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:27 pm
@neologist,
I didn't say it is. What you are attempting to peddle here, though, is JW exegesis and orthodox doctrine.
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . I am willing to surrender my person license . . . to government. . . .
Well, that is what makes society livable, that so many are of your inclination, including myself, BTW. What I was inquiring was whether you feel the desire for license may itself be reduced by law.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:39 pm
@neologist,
What is moral license? If I know what it is maybe I'll spend more time desiring it.
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:44 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
What is moral license? If I know what it is maybe I'll spend more time desiring it.
You see it. You like it. You take it. (or, do it)
No restraints.
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:47 pm
@Setanta,
What would you expect?
I'm a man possessed.
But aren't you the fellow who posted the question "Does dog exist?"
And was I not respectful and polite in my responses? Very Happy
And don't I have for you a permanent invitation for coffee . . . .Including scones?
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:51 pm
@neologist,
I don't care for scones. You apparently don't realize how tedious it is to have you throw this up in peoples' faces again and again, and how insulting it is. I don't seek license for anything, and i resent your holy Joe attitude which is so eager to see us all as sinners. There's no such thing as sin. I am not capable of adhering perfectly to my own ethical values, but i'm no sinner and i'm tired of hearing this sort of clap-trap from you.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:02 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
You see it. You like it. You take it. (or, do it)
No restraints.
That tells me nothing. Thanks a lot.
I'm un-tagging this one and thumbing down. Not interested.
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I don't care for scones. You apparently don't realize how tedious it is to have you throw this up in peoples' faces again and again, and how insulting it is.
I'm sorry to have exposed you to ideas you deem tedious. However, I do not post simply for your perusal, but for the many who view but never post. Additionally, I find your replies to be often enlightening and am willing to endure scorn in order to read them. I never skip them. I can't say that for others.
Setanta wrote:
I don't seek license for anything, and i resent your holy Joe attitude which is so eager to see us all as sinners. There's no such thing as sin. I am not capable of adhering perfectly to my own ethical values, but i'm no sinner and i'm tired of hearing this sort of clap-trap from you.
I won't call you a sinner; but, inasmuch as you are not capable of adhering to your own ethical values, you and I are equal.
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:10 pm
@rosborne979,
Sorry about that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:14 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . I am willing to surrender my person license . . . to government. . . .
Well, that is what makes society livable, that so many are of your inclination, including myself, BTW. What I was inquiring was whether you feel the desire for license may itself be reduced by law.

Tough question for me to answer, because I am not especially enamoured of the kind of "license" of which we are speaking.

It appears that we, as humans, tend to inure to situations as we evolve and progress. There was a time when the thought of women having rights equal to those of men would have been unthinkable. But now it is commonplace.

The idea of blacks progressing to where they are now seemed unimaginable in my youth, but it is what it is now.

The notion that gays would be as welcome in society as they are now is astounding...considering where we were just decades ago.

So, maybe law (or societal change) can actually impact on the desire of which you speak.

We will find out, because I am almost sure that personal privacy, for instance, is going to take hits during the coming decades that will make the current controversy seem silly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:16 pm
@neologist,
Now you're just getting personally snotty and insulting. See ya 'round, clown.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:54 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Moral license.
Face it. We all desire moral license.
Please define that concept. Thank u.

David
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
neologist wrote:
Moral license.
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
Roz didn't like my answer and said so here. http://able2know.org/topic/233761-2#post-5572239
So maybe I should restate: moral license is having no restraint to your desires. Nothing you may do is subject to prohibition, censure or punishment. Those who have no restraint to this desire would be considered sociopaths, I presume. But, I believe we all have this desire to some degree.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:06 pm
In time of war, governments draft their citizens and give them a licence to kill, so is it our moral duty to go to fight for our country, or should we say "I ain't going!"?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:08 pm
I think this sort of thinking and self analysis might be strong among reasons believers cannot break away from their mythology. Fear and loathing keeps them in check.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:33 pm
Hey Edgar when you were in the US Navy did you ever shore-bombard Cong villes like the USS New Jersey is doing here in 1968?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/New-J-Tonkin-1968_zps248d3d44.jpg~original
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:58 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Moral license.
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
neologist wrote:
Roz didn't like my answer and said so here. http://able2know.org/topic/233761-2#post-5572239
So maybe I should restate: moral license is having no restraint to your desires. Nothing you may do is subject to prohibition, censure or punishment. Those who have no restraint to this desire would be considered sociopaths, I presume. But,

I believe we all have this desire to some degree.
I desire FREEDOM, but if I had the immunity that u describe,
I wud not use it to violate anyone 's natural rights.

I have no wish to do that.
I wud not extort people into spelling fonetically against their will.

David
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 09:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Very Happy
0 Replies