A Chip in The Sugar

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:04 am
I've just finished reading Talking Heads by Alan Bennett. What a wonderful book! There's so many little details which are either poignant, funny, or just very truthful. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it already or watched the series.
Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread where people can add their own earthy examples of human life and behavior. Nothing fancy, just humdrum things that people say, that for whatever reason appear to speak a little beyond the circumference of meaning they are placed in.

All contributions welcome.

I'll start:

I went round to have tea with a friend. She was looking through the jar of tea bags for quite a while so I asked her why. It transpired that whenever she shares tea with a friend she feels she has to get two teabags that are joined together (the square type), and split them, putting one in the mug for her, and one in the mug for the friend; she can't have tea using two separate tea bags.

I was in the process of moving house, and had gone back to the old house just to have one last check around. I was on the phone to my mother for quite a while, and then my battery died, cutting the conversation dead. It was quite late at night so I just went home with the intention to phone her again the next day. Quite early in the morning I received a phone call from her asking if I was okay. I said that yes, I was fine. "Oh good," she said, "because I had a dream that you fell down a hole."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,561 • Replies: 1
No top replies

neekeeda

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:42 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
i have a friend according to whom a new relationship is like a lil maze that she makes for the stranger to run in... she throws hints about herself in the conversation and those hints if correctly interpreted lead to an understanding of her mind .....
but as she explained this to me i realised that its what all of us do!
0 Replies