music & meaning

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:35 pm
We all listen to music, and everyone has their favorite music genres, musicians and songs. What attracts you the most - the meaning of a song or its melodic aspects? Who is your favorite performer and what do you like about their music?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,731 • Replies: 3
No top replies

nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:01 pm
@Smarty11,
It becomes, if one gets.. shall we say.. 'well used to life' enough (which might not come about in a single existence for many).. as though only certain specific clarity can keep one interested and there must be absolute silence and calm, or it is all ignored, without trying to ignore it.

Classical on occasion, can almost, very nearly, bring a tear.

We seem to get stuck eventually with some old favorites and not much changes.. Some real peculiar choices even still keep us interested, because of the memories we held, once.. even if those memories are gone, the appreciation follows the same old line.

That probably will not apply to most though, or perhaps only slightly to moderately.

Songs from films.. Like the death of Elias in platoon.. (adagio for strings) or the apocalypse now 'doors' tune. (the end), keep an interest well.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:01 pm
@Smarty11,
While I'm a great admirer of the human voice and have at different times been desperately in love with Maria Callas, Rise Stevens, Edith Piaf, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Barbra Streisand (just to name a small handful of favorites), to me the best music is always strictly instrumental. Listening to a singer actually interferes with my hearing the music that the singer is delivering and I am admiring the singer rather than the song or its composer. Most truly good and great music has no need for words or lyrics.
0 Replies

jane21august

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2018 11:48 pm
@Smarty11,
I love listening to Frank Sinatra. loved each lyric of his song and the way he sings, it's like you are in another world. My favourite song - My Way
0 Replies