Study Abroad? Please I need help!

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:48 pm
I am a sophomore in high school, and I am crossing my fingers that I can study abroad to Oman or Turkey my junior year {I cannot decide which yet!} through the YES Program. The program will last about ten months. As many of you most likely know, there are many benefits of studying abroad so I won't bore you!

There is nothing that I can think of that excites me as much as the possibility of studying abroad. I am currently studying Arabic at school and I want to expand my ability to speak a third language. Not only do I want to be able to do this, but I want to expose myself to a part of the world that is completely different from my day-to-day life. I want to expose myself to the Middle East because I want to eradicate the false misconceptions that have been planted in mind ever since 9/11. I want to get out of my sheltered life and be uncomfortable. Going to a country such as Oman or Turkey will get me out of my comfort zone and will help me grow into a more independent, cultured young woman.

The concern:
My uncle came to visit about two months ago and he is a big part of my life. Whatever is going on in my life or is a concern, he is the person I call. So, naturally, the subject of me wanting to study abroad came up. Let me remind you that my uncle is not your average joe. He is an extremely cultured man, not to mention one of the smartest people I know. His opinion is always one with much thought behind it.
When he heard what I had to say about studying abroad, he disagreed with it. Immediately he asked me what I wanted to do when I grow up. I said, "Doctor, of course." He gave me an elaborate explanation as to how leaving for an entire year studying abroad in high school would, in turn, hinder my academic abilities and I will not be able to "catch up" with the material I will be thrown at when I come back for my senior year. He said that that one year that I will be missing would really set me back.

Is my uncle's opinion true? As college students or graduates, would you say that I would lose a large chunk of my "academic ability?" I am challenged daily in school because I go to a high school that is notorious for its college-preparatory curriculum; I have a 3.8 GPA and I am heavily active in doing volunteer work. I am not looking to study abroad as a way to "escape." If I were to go to Oman or Turkey, I would go to a private school, not some rural shack in the middle of the desert.
Does a college truly validate an applicant's experience traveling abroad? In general, would traveling abroad to Oman or Turkey be an advantage besides for the obvious reasons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,497 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

Butrflynet

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:57 pm
@wannabewhere,
This should be of interest to you:

Study Abroad and Global Leadership
Why international experience is a vital part of higher education in the 21st
century, and how to make it work for American Students
James Duff
Providence College
Global Studies Capstone Seminar
Butrflynet

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:04 pm
@wannabewhere,
You might also read the response someone gave on Yahoo Answers when the exact same post was written there.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110921045942AAt4Z3X

Or the many other sites where the same post has been copied to... Rolling Eyes
wannabewhere

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 08:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
@Butrflynet
Thank you for your input. I just wanted to post my question to several places to get several answers and opinions!
0 Replies

wannabewhere

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 08:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
This document is SOOOO helpful! Thank you so much for finding this; I truly appreciate it Smile
0 Replies

mendiaz

Thu 20 Jun, 2013 10:44 pm
I do not agree with that. Every one who visit college does not mean just play games and enjoys and loose its potential and money but at the same there are always number of students which tend to study and learn every day in college. In case of foreign study they even learn a lot not only about the course but their culture and most important how to live a practical life all by your self.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:05 am
@wannabewhere,
I agree with your cultured & intelligent uncle,
particularly in that u are a female desiring to inhabit a Moslem country.
0 Replies