Electrical engineering books

The-one

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:48 pm
Hello,
I'll be studying electrical engineering at University next year, and I would like to get ahead a bit. What engineering books should I read? What math should I learn? I know calculus and linear algebra from college, but what's next?
Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,344 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:25 pm
@The-one,
I will ask my father, who is a retired EE.
jespah

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:31 am
@jespah,
Here's what my Dad wrote to me:

my Dad wrote:
I assume the student is a freshman and so the curriculum is planned for the first two years. Things to study, in addition to Calculus, should be analytic Geometry (not too seriously, but it helps in Calculus later on), Physics, Mechanics and everything except Electricity and magnetism comes first. Inorganic Chemistry will come in the next year. There will be courses in English and some Humanities. These should NOT be disregarded. After all, the engineer has to be able to write a coherent report, or specification for others to make use of, as well as showing others that some polish has been applied to the body of facts.

If the student is already in college and is changing majors, then the courses should be DC circuits, AC circuits, Machinery including Transformers, Thermodynamics and some heat transfer (this is used in the design of heat sinks). Anything beyond that might be elective courses, or more advanced required courses.

We both hope this is of help to you. Best of luck with your studies!
0 Replies

seac

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 06:02 pm
@The-one,
It's been a long time since I learned EE. Seems things were headed strongly in digital simulation using mathematical models of systems. We had to write our own programs. New subroutines and new computer languages have made the work much easier I suppose. You can get a head start in Fourier and Laplace transforms by studying it early.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:48 pm
@The-one,
The first year is not going to be so much electrical engineering as it is going to be base classes. Brush up on your calculus, physics and chemistry and definitely enjoy your last year before college.
0 Replies