E Allan Poe or E Allen Poe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:37 pm
Hi. I have an old book Edgar Allan Poe's Tales: A Selection published by Cassell in 1904 that spells Poe's name Allen on the front boards and spine, while on the title page, reverts to the correct spelling Allan. I was wondering if this was a common mistake. Thanks, Mike
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,965 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:00 pm
@Mike Bee,
You will find both spellings, however Allan is is the correct spelling. Even biographies have the Allen spelling.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:21 am
@Mike Bee,
I think such stuff as he wrote are called Gothic Romances; and now are difficult for people to read, in my opinion... Does anyone here know, or have read of how much the guy contributed to the anti rational movement in society, art, and philosophy in his day??? I get a sense of it, and have sort of heard rumours of it, That he was discovered in France by Baudelaire, another champion of the irrational in art, and from there given back to America...Thomas Mann drew the connection between Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky and their connection to Freud, and with Freud all these string of the anti rational in art and philosophy, from Poe, to Van gogh, to Baudelair, to Dostoyevsky and Nietzsche are pulled together to form a scientific presentation of nuerosis as a force in modern society, all societies, really...

The rational has a place in human kind, and a voice that will be heard, but in the conduct of our lives, and in our motivations no one should expect reason, or be surprised by irrationality... Just a thought... Because we take it for granted that knowledge is good, and reason is useful if we would change human behavior and so change the world... The power of reason over human kind is slight, and the reason art is so valued is that it has the power to change people through their emotions which can do an end run around the wall of reason we surround ourselves with... If you want to change people, or change the way they think about things, first change how they feel about things...The emotions are the only door to the psyche always left unlocked..
0 Replies