talk72000

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 02:00 pm
@rainbowlaw,
I saw enough at the plant. It is a mess with mud stuff all over the floor.

I am not thinking of building a house. Maybe later, a long maybe.
JTT

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 03:40 pm
@rainbowlaw,
Papercrete wouldn't work as sidewalk blocks or as a poured sidewalk, would it?
rainbowlaw

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 04:19 pm
@JTT,
I doubt it... It is best when it is off the ground b/c it tends to absorb water. We made sure the overhang of the roof is 2 feet beyond the walls to protect them from moisture. I have heard of folks who made papercrete walls and they seem to withstand the elements when they are placed on a platform ans covered with stucco...
0 Replies

rainbowlaw

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 04:20 pm
@talk72000,
Yes, it is a mess. But now we are warm and cozy and it was well worth it!
talk72000

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:04 pm
@rainbowlaw,
I am glad it worked out for you. I am a bit lazy.
rainbowlaw

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:41 pm
@talk72000,
LOL! I am seriously looking forward to being done with it!
talk72000

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:50 pm
@rainbowlaw,
Oh, you HAVEN'T finished yet. I guess that is a lot of work to get everything shipshape.
talk72000

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:27 pm
@rainbowlaw,
One way to test it is to pour a bit of water on the floor and see where it flows. If it stays where it is the floor is flat. I feel that water may flow (facing the house) to the left.
JTT

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:16 pm
Interesting ad for this thread,

NanaWall, a foldaway window which gives an opening as wide as a garage door. The pic is a beach front home.

www.nanawall.com

Does Robert and the gang get more money if we click on the links?
rainbowlaw

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:28 pm
@talk72000,
It is fine for living in but not ready for prime time. I am still working on the floors, trim, landscaping, downspouts, etc...
rainbowlaw

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:30 pm
@talk72000,
LOL! The floors are level! Not to worry. There are issues where the roof on the trailer is a bit off but that is because the trailer was old and (we'', that's what I am blaming it on anyway!) The slanting floor is an optical illusion. The tennis ball tells me so.
0 Replies

rainbowlaw

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:31 pm
@JTT,
Don't know but I clicked on it just in case.
JTT

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:47 pm
@rainbowlaw,
You can get a cabin grade oak flooring from Lumber Liquidators for pretty cheap, I think around$0.99 per square foot.
talk72000

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:18 pm
@rainbowlaw,
I am surprised. How big are the panels and how heavy are they? Our were like wood as paper and saw dust were the aggregates.
rainbowlaw

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:53 pm
@JTT,
Thanks. We did get a palette of tile a few years ago. We don't have enough to cover the who floor and we were thinking of putting a wood floor down in the living area. We try to get surplus whenever possible and have had much success in doing this.
rainbowlaw

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:54 pm
@talk72000,
We poured the papercrete into forms we built. We did not make panels.
JTT

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:19 pm
@talk72000,
Hi Talk.

How big were your panels?

What was the weight of a panel?

How were they joined?

Did they [the factory] advertise an R-factor [RSI-factor]?

Did they do tests to determine compressive/tensile strength?

What were these panels used for?
JTT

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:23 pm
@rainbowlaw,
Did you blow out some of the walls on the trailer portion or are they still all in place? I think I asked if it was all open or if these areas were all separate.

Did the new roof/rafters go over the trailer roof or just butt up to it?

I know I could probably find all this out by looking at the pics but I'm on dialup right now so loading pics ain't fun.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:38 pm
@rainbowlaw,
Another question. What did you do at the top of the papercrete walls to nail the rafters to? Can/Did you embed bolts in the papercrete?

What about at window openings? What's your largest opening? What do you do there for load bearing lintels?
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:21 pm
@rainbowlaw,
Did you use slipforms, RBL? Did you pour a section at a time or make forms to go the whole length/perimeter?

I would guess, being that you used a mixer, you had some "cold" joints, ie. it wasn't a continuous pour. Any special treatment at these places? Is there any rebar in the papercrete walls?
0 Replies