A world religion would be impossible

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:55 am
Firstly, religion is sustained from the fear of death, which is resulted from the negativity incurred from the separation of the world population into religious sets.

Would there be a world religion, no religious sets would separate the world population, and so no negativity would produce the fear of death which would sustain that world religion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,619 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:20 am
There are less abstract explanations than that, such as the fact that some religions mutually loathe each other and fight over the same geographical territory.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:25 am
@diamantis,

What would we do with the Heretics?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:40 am
It would never work. Religions are fueled by the idea of "the other" and "we're right and everyone else is wrong". Of course, they could just gang up on the world's atheists.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:07 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch, you are assuming that Atheism won't be the religion that is chosen as the world religion. Yes, I know that many people argue that Atheism is not a religion.

But Atheism is clearly fueled by the idea of "the other" and "we're right and everyone else is wrong". In at least this way, Atheism is like any other religion.
lazymon

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:50 am
If there was a religion that could become a world religion, I would say that http://www.venganza.org/ would be the best religion of them all. It is pretty much all religions rolled into one.

Of course there are a few that are offended by it.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:54 am
@lazymon,
i've been fond of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism for a long time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:57 am
@diamantis,
It is interesting that you posit religion is sustained by a fear of death. Possibly. The emphasis by teachers of religion is on worshipping the glory of god, originating in an awe of creation, although a fear of death is strong subtext.

Of course, there is the other aspect. Consider American Protestants and Catholics who taunt each other with the threat of hell, a Christian concept. Many religions are rooted in ethnic identity, a prime example being Hinduism.
Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:06 am
@diamantis,
Ever heard of the word "sect?" You start by begging a question when you assert that religion is sustained "from" a fear of death. You haven't demonstrated that proposition, so there is little point to accept any assumptions you make from such a basis.

You second paragraph is an exercise in gonzo "logic" worthy of Yoggi Berra.
Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:07 am
Are all the philosophy forum people pretty much inept in the use of the English language?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:09 am
@diamantis,
Quote:
opium is the opiate of the masses
Frank Zappa
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:21 am
@diamantis,
Hey Diamantis,

diamantis wrote:
Firstly, religion is sustained from the fear of death, which is resulted from the negativity incurred from the separation of the world population into religious sets.

I doubt this is the only reason, there are tons of them from an inexplicable need to believe in something greater or more than oneself, experiences one can only interpret as religious and therefore inspiring, a set of values that relies upon something else (aside from this physicality) for meaning and purpose and much, much more.

diamantis wrote:
Would there be a world religion, no religious sets would separate the world population, and so no negativity would produce the fear of death which would sustain that world religion.

I doubt it. I'm no expert on the history or religious trends; but from what I gather, there are more evololving each day (rather than less). I'm an atheist, so this is just my view on what seems to be happening.

Still, it would lead to less conflict I suppose. It just seems the diversity with which people think prohibit there being one idea/one doctrine/one set of religious values that all would agree on.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 01:46 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
other" and "we're right and everyone else is wrong".

And in this case they happen to be right.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 01:49 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
The emphasis by teachers of religion is on worshipping the glory of god, originating in an awe of creation, although a fear of death is strong subtext.

A god in the case of the major religions that is willing to kill and torture without end most of the human race at whim.

Somehow the glory of such evil gods is beyond my poor human brain.

HexHammer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:03 pm
@diamantis,
diamantis wrote:

I can't agree with anything in this thesis.

Most religions promise a better place through death, thus most religions have had many followers in early time, that didn't fear death. Just remember how Rome sacrificed many christians in the arena, and even today how many suicide bombers are fearless because of the promise of virgins in paradise.

In theory it would indeed be possible to make just 1 world religion, just that the methods to do so, are limited. In days of old we simple waged war to forcefully make the heathens convert, or eradicate them.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:09 pm
@HexHammer,
We still try to convert the heathens and they, in turn, think we are infidels, and try to convert us.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:04 pm
we send forth the missionaries to christianize the savages as if they weren't dangerous enough already.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:23 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

We still try to convert the heathens and they, in turn, think we are infidels, and try to convert us.
Yes, indeed, but might makes righ, least that's what Mohammed did when he would spread his kind of Islam to the middle east.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@BillRM,
I never said that I approved of such a concept. When my boys played Dungeons and Dragons, I often thought that a great sci-fi book could be based on some adolescent kids from a superior (both in intellect and physical size) race playing D&D with planet Earth as their game board would be a fun read.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:41 am
@HexHammer,
Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that the second coming could have been Mohammed? It's at least another interesting starting point for a sci-fi novel. Oops! That's the second time I did that in a matter of seconds.