Iraq invasion in 2003 was illegitimate: Dutch probe

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:15 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I will grant you that one Cy. It is of course only true if all had access to the same intelligence. But then again, I think if I were a democrat member of congress, I would at the least want my leaders to speak to those supplying the intel before committing to a course of action that would lead to war. But, as I like to say, I can't say for sure since I've never been in that position. So I can easily see them taking the intel at face value.

Gotta keep in mind that much of the intel flowed through the so-called 'B-team' in the Pentagon, ran by Pearle and Wolfowitz. These guys were specifically created and put in place in order to make judgments about intelligence separately from CIA sources, who WERE made available to Congress - to a limited extent. Revelations have made clear that Tenet knew that Bush was massaging the data and actively helped him to do so, though he probably thought it was in the country's best interests at the time for him to do that.

Many of the Dems in Congress did exactly what you mentioned; over half did not vote for the war, a fact that gets forgotten in these discussions. I would also add that the Republicans were merciless in casting those who wanted to exercise caution as weak, spineless wimps who didn't care about national security after 9/11. All this talk about how the Dems in Congress are to blame for the war as well, neglects to specifically blame Republican leaders for aggressively attacking anyone who had doubts.

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:18 pm
@JTT,
My post was not a brain jerk reation JTT. While the tone of my post was designed to elicit a response such as I got from you, I am serious in believing that the US should pull our forces out from everywhere and stop sending financial assistance to other countries.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:20 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
I think, when it comes to Iraq, that our leadership failed on many levels. In hindsight I think most sane people will agree we could have avoided using military action. But that does not necessarily make our government leaders guilty of any war crime. Again, I'm not overly familiar with international law concerning this and as such will not get into arguments over the legality of the invasion. If some believe Bush to be a war criminal, so be it. Every leader from every country that sent troops should be viewed likewise. I just cannot wrap myself around the idea that Bush can be viewed as solely responsible.

The determination of 'war criminal' status doesn't lie in whether or not they made good or bad decisions, but whether they knowingly lied the US into war by ignoring certain uncomfortable facts that were contradictory to their case; which is exactly what happened. Documents such as the Downing Street Memos are really damning, as they show the US and UK governments agreeing that the intel wasn't really conclusive for the case they were making, but they decided to go to war anyway because they thought it was in the best interests of our country for other reasons than the ones given.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I can agree with that Cy. Bottom line has always been that the war was pushed by most republicans and maybe a sprinkling of democrats. This is inescapable and republicans paid a price for that in the last few elections. As they should have. And the reality is (in my opinion) that had the intel been dead on and WMD really had existed and was under Saddam's control, then we would not be lamenting Bush's decision to send in troops and would not have any sane person accusing him or anyone else of war crimes.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:29 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I can agree with that Cy. Bottom line has always been that the war was pushed by most republicans and maybe a sprinkling of democrats. This is inescapable and republicans paid a price for that in the last few elections. As they should have. And the reality is (in my opinion) that had the intel been dead on and WMD really had existed and was under Saddam's control, then we would not be lamenting Bush's decision to send in troops and would not have any sane person accusing him or anyone else of war crimes.

Absolutely true. In my heart I believe that Bush et others believed that Iraq probably did have WMD, no matter what our intel sources were saying, and they likely were shocked when we found nothing of the sort; turns out that Saddam wasn't lying as much as we thought he would.

I don't necessarily blame everyone who was involved in this, because - as I said earlier - most people involved probably thought that they were doing the right thing to combat a threat. But at some point, there were groups of people sitting in dark offices, uncomfortably deciding to ignore certain information because it would have been extremely damaging to the case for war, and for Bush and the Republican party in general. Considering that this lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths, this is war-crime stuff; we entrust these people with this power specifically to avoid having stuff like this happen!

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
In my heart I believe that Bush et others believed that Iraq probably did have WMD

Quote:

Colin Powell said Iraq was not a threat

Both Colin Powell, US Secretary of State, and Condoleezza Rice, President Bush's closest adviser, made clear before September 11 2001 that Saddam Hussein was no threat - to America, Europe or the Middle East.

In Cairo, on February 24 2001, Powell said: "He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbours."

This is the very opposite of what Bush and Blair said in public.

Powell even boasted that it was the US policy of "containment" that had effectively disarmed the Iraqi dictator - again the very opposite of what Blair said time and again.

On May 15 2001, Powell went further and said that Saddam Hussein had not been able to "build his military back up or to develop weapons of mass destruction" for "the last 10 years". America, he said, had been successful in keeping him "in a box".

Two months later, [Mid July, 2001] Condoleezza Rice also described a weak, divided and militarily defenceless Iraq. "Saddam does not control the northern part of the country," she said. "We are able to keep his arms from him. His military forces have not been rebuilt."

So here were two of Bush's most important officials putting the lie to their own propaganda, and the Blair government's propaganda ... .

http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=229

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:21 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
Set, as someone once told me, if the shoe fits, etc.

What a creep.

Quote:
I did not explicitly accuse you of anything.

Liar.

Quote:
If you believe I did, then please point out what I claimed you said and feel free to refute it.

Don't be coy, i've already done that.

Quote:
You cannot claim that many of those who opposed Bush with a hatred that seems a bit excessive have not accused him of war crimes and yearn for the day when he and his cronies are brought to justice. I was simply pointing out that people who insist on that way of thinking have no choice but to accuse our military of being willing participants in the mass murders and thus cupable also. I am quite open to hearing arguments to the contrary.

So what? That doesn't apply to me, and you did explicitly say "you" when making your charges. You had no basis for that, because i've never made charges of that kind.

Quote:
I'm sorry you have taken direct offense at what I wrote. But as usual, you manage to resort to name calling and language that is inappropriate. Nothing new there. So you can be done with me for all I care. That doesn't really bother me in the least.

What do you expect, when you've levied charges, which explicitly say "you" claim this, and therefore you implicitly mean that, in a case in which you have absolutely no substantiation for your charges? As it happens, i said i was done with your bullshit. On the whole, i find you are generally reasonable, but there was no call for the charges you levied against me, and you got no less than you deserve. It is utterly false that "as usual" i address you in that manner.

This is a direct quote from your post, with emphasis added:

Quote:
. . .is that y'all are really quick to cry for all these people who died during a war with Iraq (and rightly so, since death should never be something we celebrate) and try to claim that American soldiers were mass murderers but y'all seem strangely silent about atrocities and true instances of mass murder elsewhere that American soldiers have no presence. I guess it is only when our military is involved that some of you find large numbers of dead people appalling.

No, you desire to persist in claiming that members of the Bush government are war criminals for killing masses of innocent Iraqis. The problem you face is that you cannot claim that American leaders are mass murderers without claiming that our soldiers were complacent in the mass murders.

It was not until the sentence succeeding the last one quoted here that you finally used the conjunction "if," suggesting that i might not necessarily hold those opinions, but then you say i should "just come out and say it," when in fact you have no basis to assume that hold any of those opinions. Certainly I cannot have it both ways, because I don't have it either way.

Just what the hell kind of reaction do you expect when you've addressed me in that manner, constantly hammering on "you" this and "you" that? Of course i'm going to consider them accusations, because that is how they read.

For the record, i don't consider that Bush is a war criminal. Some obscure members of his administration might be culpable in the Abu Ghraib incidents and other examples of torture, but i'm sure the big boys have their collective ass well papered. That administration used the fig leaf of an ultimatum, and then ignored the report of the inspectors that the Iraqis were complying. At the same time, Hussein pushed it as far as he could, and just happened to have pushed it too far, in an idiotic attempt to claim to West that he was complying, and still trying to play the tough guy for "the Arab street." I don't think that justified war, and all of the accusations about weapons of mass destruction and Cheney's attempt to imply that the Iraqis were complicit in the September 11th attacks yield absolutely zero proof. I consider that Bush avoids a charge of war criminal by a hair's breadth, in that he had war powers from the Congress. I also sincerely doubt that he is evil, although he is certainly stupid--but intent matters, too, and i don't think he can be accused of intending to commit war crimes. On a purely American constitutional basis, he is not criminal. Of course, that means that a hell of a lot of Congressmen and -women have a terrible responsibility here, for letting their fear of voter backlash stampede them into giving the idiot child war powers. Notably, the man who now occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue did not vote for this war.
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
@Setanta,
You are such a doofus, and a crybaby.

English has a plural 'you'. You see examples of it in y'all, some of you.

The underlined you is singular.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:47 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I consider that Bush avoids a charge of war criminal by a hair's breadth, in that he had war powers from the Congress. I also sincerely doubt that he is evil, although he is certainly stupid--but intent matters, too, and i don't think he can be accused of intending to commit war crimes. On a purely American constitutional basis, he is not criminal.

A man with a double major ought to know better than to plagiarize. Now apologize to Ican and promise that you'll never steal his material again.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:54 pm
@Setanta,
Set, I'm not sure what to say since you've already said you were done with me. I'm not sure why you feel the need to return and insult me again. But if it makes you feel better, then by all means continue.

I've stated quite clearly that I at no time pointed at you and stated that you were one of those to whom the "y'all" was referring to. You choose not to believe me and to continue to call me names. Since I can write nothing more than what I've already done concerning your protestations, I'll leave you to your ranting.

Just as an aside, you do have a funny way of being done with someone.

Quote:
For the record, i don't consider that Bush is a war criminal. Some obscure members of his administration might be culpable in the Abu Ghraib incidents and other examples of torture, but i'm sure the big boys have their collective ass well papered. That administration used the fig leaf of an ultimatum, and then ignored the report of the inspectors that the Iraqis were complying. At the same time, Hussein pushed it as far as he could, and just happened to have pushed it too far, in an idiotic attempt to claim to West that he was complying, and still trying to play the tough guy for "the Arab street." I don't think that justified war, and all of the accusations about weapons of mass destruction and Cheney's attempt to imply that the Iraqis were complicit in the September 11th attacks yield absolutely zero proof. I consider that Bush avoids a charge of war criminal by a hair's breadth, in that he had war powers from the Congress. I also sincerely doubt that he is evil, although he is certainly stupid--but intent matters, too, and i don't think he can be accused of intending to commit war crimes. On a purely American constitutional basis, he is not criminal. Of course, that means that a hell of a lot of Congressmen and -women have a terrible responsibility here, for letting their fear of voter backlash stampede them into giving the idiot child war powers. Notably, the man who now occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue did not vote for this war.

And in an effort to move discussion away from our little issue, I will say that I can agree with just about everything you have said here. The only thing I would disagree with is that I don't think Bush is stupid. Certainly not the brightest bulb in the country, but I wouldn't go so far as stupid. But I can understand those who think him otherwise.
Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:12 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:
Set, I'm not sure what to say since you've already said you were done with me.

No, i didn't, i said i was done with your bullshit. Are you a compulsive liar? I hadn't noticed that before.

Quote:
I've stated quite clearly that I at no time pointed at you and stated that you were one of those to whom the "y'all" was referring to.

Now you're doing it again. You only made those remarks after the fact. At the time i responded to your original post, you had made no such disclaimer.

Quote:
You choose not to believe me and to continue to call me names. Since I can write nothing more than what I've already done concerning your protestations, I'll leave you to your ranting.

You see, this is why i call you a creep. I believe that that was probably not your intent, but you didn't mention that until after you had made your string of accusations, so what would you expect? I call you names because you have consistently lied, and come up with **** like "just come out and say it," and "if the shoe fits." Those kinds of remarks are uncalled for, so you get an "uncalled for" response in return. You made no disclaimers until after i had laid into you for your baseless accusations.

Quote:
Just as an aside, you do have a funny way of being done with someone.

Tediously, allow me to repeat that i said i was done with your bullshit. Stop whining and act like a grown up.

Quote:
And in an effort to move discussion away from our little issue, I will say that I can agree with just about everything you have said here. The only thing I would disagree with is that I don't think Bush is stupid. Certainly not the brightest bulb in the country, but I wouldn't go so far as stupid. But I can understand those who think him otherwise.

The alternative to thinking him stupid is to accept that he knew and cynically exploited false intelligence and did invade Iraq with criminal intent. See, y'all are never willing to admit that he might not have been in control or smart enough to be in control, but then y'all want to excuse him of war crimes.

Do you see how the use of the "y'all" makes it into an accusation of you as well as of others? The problem you will face here is that if you think he was bright enough for the job, then he was bright enough to have been responsible for exploiting false intelligence data, and ignoring the reports of the weapons inspectors in a rush to go to war. Which, in my opinion, drags him over the line into criminal complicity for the war. Much better to think of him as stupid but well meaning.
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:18 pm
@CoastalRat,
Both of you make it clear that neither of you have much of a grasp of history or reality.
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:19 pm
@Setanta,
I totally get it now Set. From now on, when I make any statement, I will list all those I am talking about at the beginning of my post so that I will not have someome read something I write and assume immediately that I am talking about him and go all ballistic because he is offended. You got it. And if I may make a suggestion, just so I don't accidentally offend you again, just push a button and put me on ignore. Then you never have to worry about taking anything I write personally again. How's that work for ya?
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:22 pm
@JTT,
I've been accused of that reality thing before. So I can't argue that one. As for history, I certainly don't claim to be a scholar. But then I figure I'm still above average. Maybe.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:23 pm
Okay, whew. I go to lunch and everyone gets all huffy.

We were having a nice convo too

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Probably all my fault Cy. I guess I just don't make myself clear at times, which leads to misunderstandings and then things go all to hell and back real quick. When will I ever learn.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:28 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Probably all my fault Cy. I guess I just don't make myself clear at times, which leads to misunderstandings and then things go all to hell and back real quick. When will I ever learn.

Okay, okay I gotcha! Laughing

So here's the question to move forward with:

Is there any good reason for us not to go after and prosecute those who lied us into war?

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Good question. Part of me says I really don't see the point in doing so. And yet I understand the argument that some would make for doing so. The bottom line for me is that there was widespread belief (as I remember it) that Saddam had WMD. Yes, there was conflicting intel out there, but the fact is that we really did not know. This was a failure in our intelligence community in coming up with a concensus view. Yes, reports may well have been spun to go with the prevailing view that WMD existed in order to help justify the invasion.

In hindsight, we were wrong. But at the time, from even the Clinton administration, there was a belief that Saddam had or was developing WMD. Based on that, I don't think prosecuting anyone gets us anywhere other than to divert our attention from things that we need to be addressing as a nation.
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Now you're doing it again. You only made those remarks after the fact. At the time i responded to your original post, you had made no such disclaimer.

After which fact - you mean the one where you leaped to the crybaby assumption that 'you' meant 'you' and only 'you'?

Quote:
You see, this is why i call you a creep. I believe that that was probably not your intent, but you didn't mention that until after you had made your string of accusations, so what would you expect?

A reasonable person might expect that if you believed that wasn't his intent, you would check BEFORE you called him a creep and launch into one of your famous self righteous rants.

Quote:
I call you names because you have consistently lied, and come up with **** like "just come out and say it," and "if the shoe fits." Those kinds of remarks are uncalled for, so you get an "uncalled for" response in return. You made no disclaimers until after i had laid into you for your baseless accusations.

Once more, you silly dumbass. You laid into him, by your own fuckin' admission, ["I believe that that was probably not your intent"], and you have the temerity to call him a liar, and when the language showed that it was not poor little put upon Setanta. Jesus, you're a whiny little ****.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:47 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Good question. Part of me says I really don't see the point in doing so. And yet I understand the argument that some would make for doing so. The bottom line for me is that there was widespread belief (as I remember it) that Saddam had WMD. Yes, there was conflicting intel out there, but the fact is that we really did not know. This was a failure in our intelligence community in coming up with a concensus view. Yes, reports may well have been spun to go with the prevailing view that WMD existed in order to help justify the invasion.

In hindsight, we were wrong. But at the time, from even the Clinton administration, there was a belief that Saddam had or was developing WMD. Based on that, I don't think prosecuting anyone gets us anywhere other than to divert our attention from things that we need to be addressing as a nation.

I think the question is, did people within the administration Knowingly omit data they presented to Congress; that is, did they lie by omission, intentionally, to produce a war?

That isn't a 'failure to produce consensus,' as if there were many different things floating around and it was a mixed picture. It would represent a conscious act of fraud towards the US Congress and people.

And how do we know this didn't occur, if there is no investigation? Such a thing is horrendous and represents malfeasance which is worse, far worse, than any individual act such as a murder or rape. I don't understand the point of view that says that terrorism or other crimes must be investigated to death and protected against at all costs, but 'white-collar' crimes which lead to huge cash expenditures and deaths - there's no point in investigating them?

Just doesn't seem to square up.

Cycloptichorn