What Internet Maps Do You Use?

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:39 am
There are a number of websites that offer maps and directions. Google, Yahoo, Mapquest and Bing Maps are ones that I use. I particularly like the maps that Bing offers.

Now, I have a GPS in my car, but I still like to plot out a trip before I go somewhere. I discovered something interesting though.

I have to go to a place in a newly developed area. My car GPS did not have the address, and neither did most of my usual map sites. Interestingly enough, Google Maps did have the address, so I got my directions.

Do you use internet maps and directions? What is your favorite site, and why do you think that it is better than the others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,822 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm
@Phoenix32890,
we have a subscription wervice to map/airohoto overlays in which GPS coordinates are overlain at an accuracy of 0.01 meter. Its a surveying standard and the service is rather expensive but we use em for mine maps. Delorme used to have the service but they have lost the accuracy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Google maps. Prefer it to Mapquest. Haven't looked at MQ in years, and haven't looked at any other options.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:46 pm
Google maps. Haven't tried Bing though I've heard good things about it, especially the additional feature that tells you things to look out for if you went past your destination.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:48 pm
Another Google Maps fan here.
I love street view and the ability to grab part of a route, drag it to another
road and watch the route be replotted.

Seems to me MapQuest has been playing catch-up ball for the last few years.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:52 pm
@George,
Gave up on Mapquest and Yahoo. Am avoiding Bing as best as possible.

Google Maps gets me where I want to go.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Have learned that google streetview is NOT reliable.

Tried it when we were going to joeblow's on our way to meet Thomas for a get-together. joeblow waved at us from her driveway as we drove past looking for the house google streetview had id'd as hers.

We tested a few addresses at work. 4 out of 6 of us - our houses were not the ones on google streetview. Right street, right block, not necessarily the correct side of the street, generally not the right house.
Ceili

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:55 pm
I use google too. I'm really keen on the different views they offer as well, like google earth and the street views. I have a GPS and I usually look at the route before hand as well. Sometimes its options aren't that great. This summer, we followed the instructions and it took us on a forestry trunk road, a cut line. It was a great diversion, saw a fat black bear but it would have been a disaster at any other time of the year.
I don't like Mapquest. I haven't used Bing yet, but I don't see the need either.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
The problem is the way it calculates street addresses.

I use it to get an idea of what intersections look like so I won't miss the turn.
Not that that's ever happened to me.
0 Replies