Let me be your salty dog or I won't be your girl at all

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:35 pm
What does that mean -- salty dog?

I found a few other songs that make reference to salty dogs but can't seem to find an explanation.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,032 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:39 pm
Quote:
In the U.S. Marines and Navy, one who is a salty dog is one who is very experienced, having travelled much and seen more than his fair share of things, used more in the lower enlisted ranks to establish some kind of credibility regardless of rank.

Salty dog also means ornery, as in the T-Bone Walker tune "Ain't Salty No More." Salty dog has an older sexual meaning in US folklore and song. See, for example, the traditional song "Salty Dog Blues", where the lyric "let me be your salty dog" translates to let me be your sexual partner. The term comes from the term sea dog, or a horny sailor.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Salty+dog+(slang)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:43 pm
Wow! Thanks Phoenix!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:06 pm
I have always figured it had to do with a long time sailor, old salt. If a sailor doesn't know about dogs, I cannot be of help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:39 pm
Two people at Urban dictionary state that a salty dog is a man who has sexual relations with a woman, and within a few hours, convinces a different woman to fellate him. Other people there deny this or provide alternative definitions.

You can read for yourself the Urban Dictionary entry on Salty Dog
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:44 pm
Errr.... I guess I don't want to walk around singing this song anymore.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:45 pm
Prolly not . . . and i suggest you don't want Mo to take it up, either . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:46 pm
I know it shouldn't but that made me laugh.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:52 pm
The first time I ever heard that song it was Charlene Darling singing it on the Andy Griffith Show. I had no idea that it could possibly mean anything so.... ummmm..... sexual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:57 pm
She may not have known, either. Personally, i wouldn't know Charlene Darling if she up and bit me in the . . . well, you know what i mean.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
Candy Man

Candy man, candy man, salty dog, salty dog
Candy man, candy man, oh salty dog, oh, salty dog.
Candy man, candy man, salty dog, salty dog
If you wanna be my candy man, I'm gonna be your salty dog.

Little red light, little red light,
Little green light, little green light
Little red light, little red light,
Little green light, little green light
Stop on the red and go on the green
Don't mess with mister in between.
Stop on the red and go on the green
Don't mess with mister in between.

Gingerbread man, gingerbread man
Santa Claus, Santa Claus
Ginger bread man, ginger bread man
Oh Santa Claus oh Santa Claus
Ginger bread man, ginger bread man
Ho Ho Ho!! Ho Ho Ho!!
Gingerbread man with the raisons for your eyes
Gonna eat ya as quickly as I can.
Gingerbread man with the raisons for your eyes
Gonna eat ya as quickly as I can.

(repeat at random)

First heard this done by Sharon, Lois and Bram (folksingers popular with children) in the late '80's.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:13 pm
Quote:
Avast, ye squirts.

Dear Word Detective: After embarking on Treasure Island, my 6th grade English class began to question the origin of the phrases "old salt," "salty dog," and "sea biscuit." Please help me look like an English teacher who knows everything. -- J. Gabriele, via the internet.

By "embarking on Treasure Island," I certainly hope you mean that your class is reading the novel by Robert Louis Stevenson, and not that you have marooned your pupils on a remote sandbar somewhere. Being stranded on a small island would, no doubt, prove to be a learning experience for the little tykes, but I'm afraid that our namby-pamby liability laws would make such an adventure legally inadvisable. I'd stick to "Gilligan's Island" reruns if I were you.

Still, there's no law (yet) against doing your best to recreate an authentic shipboard atmosphere right there in your classroom, and with sufficient ingenuity you can have those little tars manning the yardarms and swabbing the deck before the weekend.

All the terms you mention date back, of course, to the days of tall-rigger sailing ships. An "old salt" is simply an older sailor with a lifetime of experience aboard ship, well-versed in the skills of seamanship and often also described as "crusty" (which is usually just a euphemism for "cranky"). "Salt" has been used as a synonym for "experienced sailor" since the mid-1800s by allusion to salt water and the salt spray which covers everything aboard ship.

"Salty dog" means essentially the same thing as "old salt," a veteran and often aging sailor. "Salty dog" is probably based on another term, "sea dog," again meaning a sailor with years of experience. The term "sea-dog," by the way, originally was applied to the seals sailors often encountered.

"Sea biscuits," also known as "hardtack," were small biscuits baked without salt, designed to be stored for months in barrels aboard ship. Two further facts about sea biscuits bear mentioning: they were, as you might imagine, unbelievably hard, and sailors encountered them at nearly every meal. Sea biscuits were probably one of the reasons those "old salts" were often so cranky.

http://www.word-detective.com/122099.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:17 pm
Quote:
Salty Dog Blues

Lyrics: Traditional/Morris Brothers
Music: Traditional/Morris Brothers

Played by Jerry Garcia with the Black Mountain Boys in March 1964, and before that by the Hart Valley Drifters in November 1962.

Quote:
Roots
The origins of this song are unclear, although the bluegrass version that Jerry Garcia sang was based on the Morris Brothers' version, later popularised by Flatt and Scruggs

The term "salty dog" crops up in various old blues and jazz songs. The first recorded version seems to have been by Papa Charlie Jackson in 1924. He also recorded it with Freddie Kappard and his Jazz Cardinals in 1926 with lyrics:

Scaredest I ever been in my life
Uncle Bud like like to caught me kissing his wife
You salty dog
Oh mama, you salty dog

God made a woman, he made her mighty funny
Made lips around her mouth, sweeter than honey
You salty dog
Oh mama, you salty dog

Quote:
The Morris Brothers wrote their version in 1935, seemingly independently of the earlier blues versions - though they may have taken what was a public domain song, modified it and copyrighted it as their own. According to Wiley Morris, "Back when we were kids down in Old Fort we would see a girl we liked and say 'I'd like to be her salty dog.'" Zeke Morris had a different version of the origins: ""I got the idea when we went to a little old honky tonk just outside of Canton. ... We got in there after the show and got to drinking that beer and playing the slot machines with nickels, dimes and quarters. I think we hit three or four jackpots. ... The name of that place was the Salty Dog, and that's where I got the idea for the song.

The Morris Brothers version became a bluegrass standard, recorded by Flatt and Scruggs in 1951 and by many others. It is that version that seems to be the origin of what Jerry Garcia played with the Black Mountain Boys. The lyrics that Garcia sang were essentially identical to the main Flatt and Scruggs version - though they did at times sing additional lyrics

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.htm?/~acsa/songfile/SALTYDOG.HTM
0 Replies