Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:13 pm
Well, that's a misnomer. I wish instead to speak of Salad Conditioner...

Honey Rose has a thread about sodium laureth sulfate, an additive to shampoos, conditioners, and other body care items.
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106623

I've seen something on snopes saying no, it doesn't cause cancer.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

Geez. I/we didn't think it did. But, it may not be the best thing for one's hair, re drying and dulling.

Honey Rose is/was looking for manufactured shampoos without SLS in them.

I'm going even more natural or at least am testing re "conditioning" ----vinegar, which my mother used to swear by, and olive oil, a favorite of people for, uh, millennia.

There are concoctions on natural conditioner websites involving either vinegar and rose water or olive oil (evoo) and some of the "essential" oils.

Once I figure out conditioning, I'll look to conquer the shampoo thing. Lookout, world!
I'm tired of hurling dollars at the drugstore.

I just used regular shampoo a few minutes ago with a white vinegar rinse. More tangles than usual with a store-bought conditioner, but the hair feels good. We'll see.

I'm aware the best thing for shiny hair is one's natural estrogen (or I suppose but don't know, one's testosterone), and that older women are lacking high levels of estrogen, often if not always. So, being older, my hair is never going to just gleam again, but I'd like to keep it at its best.

I'll experiment. Who knows, maybe vinegar and olive oil together...

The irony of this is that I remember thinking my mother was nuts about the vinegar thing.

Hmm, wonder if I still have that bottle of Pear Vinegar....

I may be back with some links which I ran across earlier today, re vinegar and olive oil. And I seem to remember coconut oil is good..

Has anyone tried this foodie type of conditioning?

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:15 pm
I used to use henna -- it was very nice. A non-tinting kind.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:25 pm
I use diluted apple cider vinegar in the summer (it strips too much natural oil out for winter use).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:25 pm
I didn't even know there was a non-tinting kind. In my hair's heyday, it used to have a lot of red in it, a kind of auburn. Mostly I thought henna would be too red for moi.

I'll look into it. Why did you stop with it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:29 pm
I moved, I think. I had been getting it at one particular store.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:38 pm
Mayonnaise is an excellent conditioner/detangler.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:45 pm
Conditioning:
Avocado oil for very dry, dull hair
Beer for softening
I spray my brush with rose water and pull it through the ends when they're really dry

I'll try the vinegar some weekend.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:51 pm
Lush products are excellent. They also have henna products.

http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/catzoom.html?mv_arg=Bottled%20Shampoos&expand=Haircare
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:53 pm
As an aside (or maybe not), people have been using vinegar to clean households for a long time. I use a vinegar, dish soap and water concoction much of the time. And a MA company called Global Balance makes household and personal products in a responsible way with full disclosure about the ingredients used. I like their stuff.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:55 pm
From the Lush website:
Quote:
Cynthia Sylvia Stout Bottled Shampoos

Helps fluffy hair shine and behave like it should
Home alchemists have long known the power of a can of beer to give dull hair a shiny makeover. This shampoo makes it easier for those challenged by fluffy, curly hair that tends to frizz out at the first hint of humidity. Hearty stout beer is rich in protein and gives hair weight, smoothness and gloss while lemon clarifies and adds even more shine.

Cynthia Sylvia Stout is the title of a Shel Silverstein poem about a girl who wouldn't take the trash out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:59 pm
Report on my now dry hair...

it feels like a fluffy bunny and looks remarkably dull.

Hmmm. But I didn't dilute it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:07 pm
mmmmmmm..... maybe shampoo with the vinegar and condition with store bought? Vinegar is a degreaser.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:11 pm
So many ways to play. I may have work this out scientifically.

I do like the fluffyness.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:28 pm
Recipes from http://www.skin-care-recipes-and-remedies.com/natural-hair-care.html

Banana hair pack

Ingredients:

1/2 banana
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of honey

Mash until creamy. Hair has to be dry to do this. Leave it on your hair and wash out after 20 minutes. After that, use a shampoo.

Milk based Hair Balm

It is simple as this: after you wash your hair, wash it with some milk and leave on for about 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. It helps bring back the softness and natural shine.

Sour Cream Hair Pack

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons of sour-cream
1/2 teaspoon of wheat germ oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix it all together, apply to hair and rinse off after 10-15 minutes.

Olive oil for shiny hair

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 egg

Mix the two and apply on hair. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and wash off using warm water, then shampoo.

Egg white for oily hair

1 egg white (more if your hair is thick or long).

Beat the egg and simply apply on dry hair. Leave it on until it is dry and crusty. Wash off with warm water and shampoo. Doing this a couple of times a week will help reduce the oiliness and remove the excess oil.

Hair pack for damaged hair

Ingredients

Juice from freshly squeezed lemon
2 egg yolks
1 egg white
1 tablespoon of honey.

Mix all the ingredients, apply on hair and let it rest for 10 minutes. After that, shampoo and rinse off.

For soft and silky hair

Ingredients

3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of honey

Mix it all well, apply on hair. Wrap the hair with a towel or shower cap and let it rest for 15 minutes. Shampoo and rinse the hair.

Increase hair volume

Ingredients

1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 cup of warm water
Spray bottle - pharmacy stores usually sell them for a couple of dollars, get a smaller one.

Mix the ingredients in a bottle and shake well
After you wash the hair with shampoo, let it dry a bit.
When it is damp, spray the mix you have prepared.
Massage the scalp so the liquid gets absorbed better
Don't rinse the hair off, simply let it dry
For shiny and soft hair

Ingredients

1 tablespoon of coconut oil
3 tablespoons of sour cream

Mix the ingredients and apply them on hair.
Wrap a towel around it and let it rest for 30 minutes
Shampoo and rinse off well
Grease control

There is a simple way to get rid of greasy hair.
Every time you shampoo your hair, mix a little bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice in. Shake the bottle well (you could use a smaller bottle for this purpose) and shampoo the hair. Rinse off well.

This way, you will control the oiliness of the scalp and also, if you have blondish hair, you will actually help keep it light longer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:31 pm
Thanks, butrflynet, this is going to keep me busy all winter.

Milk is going to go high up on the list.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:46 am
Found the stuff I was thinking of:

http://www.kalyx.com/store/images/images_misc/11346a.jpg

I went with their shampoo, too. I liked it.

http://www.kalyx.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/570169/CategoryID/10500/SubCatID/725/file.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:48 am
When I was searching for it I found a review from someone who thought that henna = color and used that shampoo/conditioner for a long time and complained that it didn't change her color one whit. As in, confirmation that it's non-tinting (though she was disappointed). It didn't tint my hair but mine's quite dark so that doesn't necessarily mean much.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:52 am
If henna is not colour what is it?

Henna, Lawsonia inermis, produces a red-orange dye molecule, lawsone. This molecule has an affinity for bonding with protein, and thus has been used to dye skin, hair, fingernails, leather, silk and wool.
wikpedia.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:58 am
I dunno, it says "water extract of lawsonia inermis (henna)" in the ingredients list, maybe they bypass (or mostly bypass) the dye part of it somehow?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 06:11 am
Probably marketing bullsh... or they don't source from a quality producer.

Henna needs to be picked at high temps for best results and is more active in an acidic environment.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Salad Shampoo
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:16:53