I learned today

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:04 pm
We (lady Diane, Osso and meself went to lunch today (Calico Cafe) and the bill came to $54.46 I added a $10.00 tip and signed and we left. Some hours later I was home and checking my account on-line and noticed a charge (pending) which, I thought, indicated no tip at all. I called the cafe and spoke to the manager expressing my concern that the waitperson (brooke)did not get the tip. He assured me that when a credit card is used at a restaurant the original bill goes through and sometime later the tip goes through as a separate transaction. I did not know that (Lady Diane says to me "Oh yeah, I knew that."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 611 • Replies: 13
No top replies

happycat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:12 pm
It's funny that you should mention that because I noticed the same thing a couple weeks ago when I paid a lunch bill with a credit card. That's the same response I got too, but I didn't get an actual reason as to why they do it that way.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:12 pm
I did not know that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:15 pm
Chai wrote:
I did not know that.

thank you, I was beginning to think i was just stupid.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:18 pm
Hm, I did not know that either. Frankly, my credit card always shows the
entire amount. I usually pay with Amex.

Perhaps it is the credit institution you have your card with that has
such a rule, dys.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:34 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Hm, I did not know that either. Frankly, my credit card always shows the
entire amount. I usually pay with Amex.

Perhaps it is the credit institution you have your card with that has
such a rule, dys.
could very well be, I most often use visa debit card, or visa credit card or mastercard. I never actually checked the "today" charges on any of them, only be coincidence today.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:35 pm
It will be curious to see what your bill shows when it arrives, dys. Mr B and I were at a music festival last weekend. We gave the bartender a credit card and ran a tab. At the end of the night I signed for the tab and added a tip. The charge receipt that I got back was only for the tab.

I asked the bartender if that meant she wasn't getting the tip and she explained that they 'tip out the charges' at the end of the night. It was the first time I'd heard of it too. I think your statement might show the full amount including the tip once it gets posted.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:39 pm
JPB wrote:
It will be curious to see what your bill shows when it arrives, dys. Mr B and I were at a music festival last weekend. We gave the bartender a credit card and ran a tab. At the end of the night I signed for the tab and added a tip. The charge receipt that I got back was only for the tab.

I asked the bartender if that meant she wasn't getting the tip and she explained that they 'tip out the charges' at the end of the night. It was the first time I'd heard of it too. I think your statement might show the full amount including the tip once it gets posted.
I'm hopping so as the service was well worth even a better tip but I'm a cheapo. If not, I will definitely go back and make it right.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:14 pm
I usually just duck out the rear entrance after I'm full...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:19 pm
stuh505 wrote:
I usually just duck out the rear entrance after I'm full...
the thing is stuh , I think you're liar, I have no reason to believe you would duck a legitimate bill.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:44 pm
thats why, if you ever leave a cash tip and pay with credit card, make SURE to write a line through the tip section.

We have had people 'write in' a double tip before and it is hard to prove that you didnt do it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:55 pm
I've always been confused by the TIP line. When I was much younger and living in Massachusetts, I thought the TIP line referred to Tip O'Neil our US Congressman, so I would write in a friendly "Good Going!" or "Top o' the morning to you." Once I was upset by something going on in Washington and I wrote Tip a long paragraph detailing my grievances. I thought he didn't answer me because he was so often drunk.

But then again, now that I think about it, so was I, so maybe he did respond and I didn't notice.

I did notice that when I moved to California the TIP line was still there and at a TGIFridays I wrote him, Tip, a piece of my mind about his trying to influence far flung voters which Cherise, our waitron, didn't seem to grasp and that Walter, the bar manager, I guess, I'm not sure, he was taller than all the staff and wearing a different color tie, didn't get either exactly. It was late and we had been smoking some deep weed in the ladies room with two WACs from Fort Ord, that's me and Eddie were, not me and Walter. Although he seemed like a nice enough guy. He asked if he could add on Forty Dollars for Cherise and that sounded great to me so I said okay and signed the slip of paper.

I went to go find Eddie to tell him I was going to hook up with Cherise for a couple of hours (only forty bucks, man, and she seemed so so so unhookerishly fresh), but by the time I found Eddie and told him and finished the argument about how the hell he was supposed to get home, Cherise, Walter said, had left for the night with my forty dollars.

My number one rule is never ask a pimp for a refund.

Joe(It's not number one, really, but it's in the top ten)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:42 pm
Joe's been out running in the midday sun.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:56 pm
..he's cute when he drools!!!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I learned today
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 05:19:32