Why disrespect the wishes of a thread's initiator?

georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:09 am
Chumly wrote:
As a proper Canadian I too find Americans too bawdy for my sensitive cyber-palate. This site needs to button up its collective shirt and put its pants back on.

Fugging Canucks !
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:12 am
Hey Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:13 am
Montana, are you not an American citizen who is also a landed immigrant in Canada, or have you actually become a Canadian citizen?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:14 am
Thomas, do you forgive me? Embarrassed
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:19 am
Setanta wrote:
Montana, are you not an American citizen who is also a landed immigrant in Canada, or have you actually become a Canadian citizen?

I'm a dual citizen. I was born in the US, became a Canadian when we moved here when I was little, then when we moved back to the states, I was still a Canadian, although an American citizen until I turned 21, which is when I became an American again.
Since both my parents were Canadians, I was able to apply for my dual citizenship, so now when I'm in Canada, I'm a Canadian citizen, but if I travel to the states, I become an American as soon as I cross the US border.

Now you probebly regret asking Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:53 am
...And speaking of tangents and changing direction of threads..pardon my temp diversion...

thanks, for explaining...I had wondered about that.

So when you travel to US..are you still covered medically under Canadian insurance?

BTW, I meant to ask you this for years, how did your son's ADD/ADHD problem resolve. I recall way back that you had problems in US with Waltham MAss school system. Do I have these details right?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 12:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
Chumly wrote:
As a proper Canadian I too find Americans too bawdy for my sensitive cyber-palate. This site needs to button up its collective shirt and put its pants back on.

I suppose this is intended to be humorous. However, i long ago tired of a penchant so many Canadians seem to have of trumpeting their "holier than thou" superiority to Americans in matters of courteous behavior. As with all such nationally idiosyncratic self-perceptions, it is shallow and can never be said to be universally applicable.

Quite apart from that, it is not germane to the topic of this thread.
Actually it's not off topic as it was a response to georgeob1's post # 2746484 (cross post though) when he made reference to cultural-social expectations / differences that Thomas might have versus what others might have as per how a thread might progress / digress / regress. As to humor? I never joke. Just ask georgeob1. He'll set you straight.

I'm relieved to see one of us knows how to be funny though.
Setanta wrote:
Quite apart from that, it is not germane to the topic of this thread.
Setanta wrote:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
Ragman wrote:
...And speaking of tangents and changing direction of threads..pardon my temp diversion...

thanks, for explaining...I had wondered about that.

So when you travel to US..are you still covered medically under Canadian insurance?

BTW, I meant to ask you this for years, how did your son's ADD/ADHD problem resolve. I recall way back that you had problems in US with Waltham MAss school system. Do I have these details right?

No insurance coverage if I head that way, but I can purchase a temporary insurance for that if I wish. I have relatives that do.

The ADHD problem vanished when I left the US and my son is doing pretty good. He and his girlfriend are getting ready to move together in the city where the young people thrive :-D

You're details were right on. Good memory ;-)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 12:52 pm
Chumly wrote:
As to humor? I never joke.

Is that so? In that case, when you once alleged that you were indulging an inside joke with Joe (who stated that he hadn't the least idea of to what you referred), you were lying? Or is now that you are lying? It's so hard to keep track.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 12:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
quote: Just to repeat: I have no problem with digressions in general. I was making a much narrower point about threads whose initiators explicitly state they want the thread to stay on topic. What's the point of derailing them? I wouldn't even bother asking the question if it was just the idiot fringe who derails perfectly reasonable threads on purpose. But it's not. Many of the derailers are otherwise interesting and agreeable posters. If they don't want to focus, why don't they just let the focused treads be? That's what I'm trying to make sense of.

This is a very reasonable request, in a thread that is well thought out and has engaged serious responses, at least until it has reached a logical end of purpose.

So, if, according to you, a thread is not well thought out (read conservative), you are justified in intervening with the purpose of derailment. Nice philosophy.

exactly. what's it to you? not to digress....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
quote: Just to repeat: I have no problem with digressions in general. I was making a much narrower point about threads whose initiators explicitly state they want the thread to stay on topic. What's the point of derailing them? I wouldn't even bother asking the question if it was just the idiot fringe who derails perfectly reasonable threads on purpose. But it's not. Many of the derailers are otherwise interesting and agreeable posters. If they don't want to focus, why don't they just let the focused treads be? That's what I'm trying to make sense of.

This is a very reasonable request, in a thread that is well thought out and has engaged serious responses, at least until it has reached a logical end of purpose.

So, if, according to you, a thread is not well thought out (read conservative), you are justified in intervening with the purpose of derailment. Nice philosophy.

Do you have one shred of evidence that I disrespect a thread just because it is started by a conservative?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 03:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
Chumly wrote:
As to humor? I never joke.

Is that so? In that case, when you once alleged that you were indulging an inside joke with Joe (who stated that he hadn't the least idea of to what you referred), you were lying? Or is now that you are lying? It's so hard to keep track.
Chumly wrote:
As to humor? I never joke. Just ask georgeob1. He'll set you straight.
You won't like this Anti-Humor
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 10:21 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Do you have one shred of evidence that I disrespect a thread just because it is started by a conservative?

"Well thought out" is obviously just your personal opinion, and not a suitable justification for derailing threads. In fact attempting to derail a thread, as opposed to trying to show that its thesis is nonsense, is probably just about never justified.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:03 pm
How about them Yankees?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:33 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

"Well thought out" is obviously just your personal opinion, and not a suitable justification for derailing threads. In fact attempting to derail a thread, as opposed to trying to show that its thesis is nonsense, is probably just about never justified.

I'm waiting for your evidence. Until you present it, I have nothing more to say to you.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:34 am
Another interesting thread, shot to hell.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:12 am
I had no idea Hillary was like that. Gosh.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:32 am
How 'bout them Cleveland Indians?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:57 am
In conversation, in a group, (and I have seen pub conversation described as a competitive sport) have you never had the conversation take a turn which was not of your choosing? Maybe something else occurred to you, along the lines of what was being discussed a moment ago, and it's too late?

Maybe threads are a bit like that.

Certainly, you're not interrupting if you return the subject to one more to your liking. Written is better than verbal in some ways.

What was the question? Disrespectful? No, I don't think so.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:00 am
This is not to say that many good threads are not ruined or badly diluted by junk spam or whatever.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:06:16