Bobbles, Bangles and Beads - Best way to sell?

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 06:53 pm
About 10 years ago, I inherited from an aunt a rather odd assortment of jewelry. It's all circa 1958-1975 and consists mostly of Zsa Zsa Gabor style cocktail rings and a couple of large gold brooches: one is shaped like a panther with ruby eyes and one is a palm tree with some yellow stones as the coconuts (No. Really. She couldn't help it, she was Jewish, she lived in Miami, she had to own this stuff to be acccepted into the tribe).

Anyone know the best way to sell these items? Do I wander around to various jewelry stores, get them appraised and then beg them to buy the lot for a fair price? I don't think any of the pieces rate in the Elizabeth Taylor category (her favorite niece, who married the orthopedic surgeon, got those), but I know they are of good quality, even if they are not of good taste. No sentimental value on my part, I just want the cash to redo our upstairs bathroom. I will even name it in her memory: The Aunt Sylvia Powder Room. So how do I liquidate without getting soaked?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 702 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 06:57 pm
Have you taken a look on Ebay for similar items?

I'm guessing there's a pretty good market out there right now (based on what I've been seeing in the magazines and 'fashion' shops).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:06 pm
I poked around on Ebay, but never found a good match for any of them. I know about certain antiques and paintings, but I'm clueless when it comes to jewelry. I'm sure some jewelry designer might want to reuse the stones and I know the pieces are gold. I guess someone into the period might want the pieces as is, but they are really over the top and clunky. I don't think art or culture would be destroyed if they were disassembled, but I could be wrong.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:18 pm
http://www.jewelrymaven.com/images/2451b.jpg

looks like panthers are still big in your aunt's successors' circle

JewelryMaven - Jewels and Judaica

Designers are occasionally interested in pieces like yours - as inspiration.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:21 pm
Thanks ehbeth. Your panther example has a much nicer form than the one I have, but it's in the same genre.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:41 pm
Big, clunky, chunky and over-the-top are pretty HOT right now.

~~~

http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/products/feb/ACA/013007_oscardela_a.jpg

from instyle's must-haves

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/products/package/0,24021,1583550,00.html

or maybe this one (I knew Anna Sui was gonna be one of the leaders of this pack)
http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/products/feb/ACC/013007_annasui_b.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:51 pm
a ring from the July 2007 issue

http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/products/july/061207_padevavra2_b.jpg

May 2007 ring

http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/products/may/JBX/040907_cinta_a.jpg

People with $$$ seem to have a yen for the pieces that inspire the newer stuff ... you need to find a "jeweller to the stars".
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:48 pm
I can see the appeal of the new designs with their homage to the past. I've been looking though images trying to find something like what I have, but everything looks better. I guess I will start by having them appraised. I know the stones are real, but I have no idea of the quality. I would happily sell them to someone who was interested in keeping them as is. Maybe I can get both my bathrooms redone.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:50 am
If you have a little to invest....

My friend ..

(wait.. No. I am not saying USE my friend. Im just telling you what she did with HER old jewelry.. ha.

That sounded like a sales opening.. Laughing )

My friend rented a small booth in a store called uncommon objects.. where people go looking for tacky, off the wall , vintage things.

What she did after she got rid of what she wanted was go to ebay, buy up the cheap " vintage jewelry" sold it for.. gosh , in some cases, 30 times more, then what she bought it for..
And used THAT money ( since she was already established at the booth) to repay herself for the rental of that booth.

She has stayed in business there and makes a fair amout of money buy purchasing antique jewelry, and other odd things and putting them in her booth.

She chose that store because it was in a really trendy area of town.
A place where people will literally plan a vacation to. And can set her prices at outrageous amounts because the people there will pay that with no question.

Do you have a place some where like that , where you can display things for sale?
That might be your best bet.
It sounds like, the things you own are impulse buys for someone else.
Something that someone would say " Oh god, how ( funny, tacky, gaudy) I think I want it" ..........................
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:02 am
There are a number of vintage jewelry sellers on e-bay. Some of them also have brick&mortar stores. I've bought some estate pieces from a certain seller located in Washington and would consider using him to purchase items from me.

Are you looking to sell them individually yourself (highest profit) or sell them as a group to a reseller?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:13 am
If I had the cash Greenwitch, I'd take it all off your hands, just to dress up in.

(Not very helpful I know but just thought I'd tell ya)

x
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:38 pm
Update: Took the pieces to three independent jewelers based on recommendations from friends and family. I can afford to do both bathrooms and throw some extra into my IRA and health savings account. I sold most of the pieces to the highest bidder (they were all very close in appraisal) and a couple (the uglier ones) were left on consignment. (Thank you Auntie - and I'm sorry that in 1968, I refused to go with you to The Concord to cheer you on in that mahjong championship.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:41 pm
(can i say toldjaso?)

That is really great news.

I wish we could have seen the actual pieces - I was quiiiiiiiite intrigued by the descriptions you provided.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:45 pm
ehBeth wrote:
(can i say toldjaso?)

You may.

ehBeth wrote:
That is really great news.

I wish we could have seen the actual pieces - I was quiiiiiiiite intrigued by the descriptions you provided.

One of these days I'll teach myself to load up personal photos. However, the pictures you found were much nicer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:09 pm
but but but you had the real vintage stuff

some of us lovvvvvvve big clunky vintage jewels (as you've obviously learned :wink: )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:19 pm
Hmmmm, you might just love this truly boisterously blazing gold (what stones?) brooch and earrings, given to me by a friend who worked at a reputable jewelers at the time.

Well, the bad news is I've not got it going yet, but the good news is I've found my scanner...

but, no way is that set worth even, er, a Delta faucet...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bobbles, Bangles and Beads - Best way to sell?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 06:27:40