Fears...Everybody's Got Them

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:58 pm
Let's talk about our fears. But first some ground rules. No one is allowed to ridicule anyone else's fear. No one is allowed to tell someone else to get over their fear unless the poster has specifically requested suggestions.

OK, I'll go first.

BATS. I am terrified of these tiny little creatures. Over the last 4 days, I have had up close and personal encounters with them. We have had nests in our attic this year and I finally called a bat exclusion company to come out and seal up the house and install those one-way doors on the house. You know, the bats can get out but not back in. Well what Jethro and his crew failed to mention was that many of the bats are too timid to go out the one-way doors. Instead they found any number of ways to get out of the attic and into my living space. I spent a night of terror alone in the house with several bats. The rest were either flying into the roof from the inside or trying to get back in through the one-way doors from the outside. In the morning I left, called Jethro and he came and found a total of nine bats in the house. After spending two nights in hotels, I am back home. No more bats were found in the house, but I will be jumpy for some time to come, I'm sure.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,880 • Replies: 51
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:21 pm
Swimply, Sounds more like terror than fear. I don't think bats are considered dangerous - are they? I remember seeing some really huge bats when I visited Bali many years ago. Had a visit to the monkey farm, and the bats were hanging in trees. The biggest bats I've ever seen in my life, and I hadn't seen that many. c.i.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:31 pm
c. i. All the experts say that bats will not harm you. It doesn't make me any less fearful, though.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:42 pm
fear isn't logical. I'm sure you know they can't hurt you but that doesn't take away the terror. I know exactly how you feel.

My fear is really stupid - moths Shocked - I HATE them, the way they move, they way they flap around you - they terrify me with a stupid panicking unreasoning terror. Rolling Eyes

I managed to mask it when the girls were young - zipping out of the room at top speed and muttering at husband out of the corner of the mouth KILL!

Neither of my daughters inherited the fear which i am quite proud of. Although one is frightened of spiders. Now I'm not a spider fan but I'd never kill one - just catch them in a glass and put them outside.

The hotel we stayed overnight when travelling south in France had HUGE moths and butterflies in glass frames in the bedroom - they had to be taken out as no way could i sleep in the room with them even dead!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:39 pm
Viv,

Some fears are logical, some aren't. Well, most aren't.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:53 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Viv,

Some fears are logical, some aren't. Well, most aren't.

mmmm you're right! I should have said aren't always logical ....

so what scares you Craven?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:56 pm
Stupidity scares me. When I do something stupid bad things happen. ;-)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 04:02 pm
oh hell - i must terrify you! Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 04:46 pm
I have fear of heights. Several years ago I was on a ski lift and went into a panic. I had all that I could do from jumping off which of course would have killed me. Should note it was not winter we were just sight seeing in Hew Hampshire. Never been so scared in my life. It is odd since I have been on ski lifts before and never experienced panic before.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:00 pm
Vivien- I'm not a fan of insects in general. About the only ones I like are lady bugs.

Au1929- Have you always had a fear of heights? I was never afraid of heights as a kid, but I am much more skittish in my old age.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:01 pm
Craven, You are NOT stupid. Foolhardy maybe but never stupid.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:42 pm
Swimpy
I always got a little rubber legged if I got to close to the edge of a high roof or the ledge of a cliff. I am all right if there is something between me and the edge. The problem with the ski lift was a first and to be sure the last.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:02 pm
My biggest fear is of becoming a bag lady! No joke!

I've had many fears throughout life, but managed to overcome most of them.

Swimpy, I would be petrified of bats too, so don't feel bad!

Anyone remember the movie, The Birds? An Alfred Hitchcock thriller. I think of that movie whenever I see lots of birds circling, watching, waiting ................................
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:04 pm
Good to see you again, Swimpy! Very Happy

What do I fear? The first things that come to mind:
Irrational people with tendencies toward mental or physical violence. Shocked
And the idea of maybe being old & helpless one day. Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:04 pm
My feet sweat and I go mad with anxiety when I'm a passenger on a road with a very steep cliff of the shoulder. If anyone has ever climbed Mesa Verde - that's the epitomy of the landscape of which I speak. I'm still excedingly nervous if I'm the driver, but I can deal. I drove a few Italians crazy because of it.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:39 pm
I've always been terrified of heights.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:33 pm
Aww, thanks Swimpy. I overuse the word. When I'm foolhardy I think it's "inspid""stupid" and such...

You said you fear bats, he he, so I have to tell you.

When I lived in the north (read very tropical) part of Brazil I ince had a room that a bat would visit every night. It slept in the attic during the day and used to fly around my bedroom at night.

It took a week to finally be rid of him (rat poison) and sleeping was a challenge (flap flap flap of wings).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:17 pm
Hmmm - I love bats and moths - but they are common fears - as are spiders and snakes. It seems we are easily prone to some fears (eg these are ones which can easliy be conditioned into us, and are hard to extinguish) - and some fears are experienced by almost all little kids - eg loud noises, animals etc - but they grow out of them.

I am horribly blood and injury phobic - I am trying to desensitize by watching graphic bits in films, because I fear being incapacitated by this phobia when I am needed, and not being able to help people.

I worked in a hospital, partly to try to overcome this fear, but it didn't work, because, once injuries are sort of tamed and people are not in terrible pain, they do not worry me.

I also had a cancer phobia - especially breast cancer, which my mother died of when I was young - so I worked in the breast cancer unit. That DID help - especially as the first woman I saw die (and it was a horrible death) looked a lot like my mum, and had a daughter the age I was, and an equally unable to cope husband! Faced all me devils at once, in the first week!

I also fear abandonment, spiders (but not to the point of not being able to deal with them) and being driven by anyone I do not absolutely trust.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:19 pm
I fear bunnies.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:21 pm
No, you don't. They fear you.....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fears...Everybody's Got Them
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:24:54