Chinese surname shortage sparks rethink.

noinipo

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:45 am
When I lived in Quebec, I was astonished by the many pages for one name in the telephone book. Imagine my surprise hearing about the problems in China.
Chinese surname shortage sparks rethink.
Tue Jun 12
With more than a billion people now sharing just 100 surnames, Chinese authorities are considering a landmark move to try to end the confusion, state media reported Tuesday.
Current Chinese law states that children are only allowed take the surname from either their mother or father, but the lack of variety means there are now 93 million people in China with the family name Wang.
In a country of around 1.3 billion people, about 85 percent share only 100 surnames, according to a nationwide survey conducted by the Ministry of Public Security in April and published in the China Daily newspaper on Tuesday.
The survey found 92 million people shared the surname Li, while 88 million were called Zhang. A further seven surnames -- including Chen, Zhou and Lin -- are held by at least 20 million Chinese.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070612/lf_afp/lifestylechinasocietynameoffbeat_070612065246
http://members.warpnet.net/sharonemerson/canadian_names.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,481 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:54 am
Reminds me about the story of George Foreman (of the grill fame). Apparently he has five sons, all named George!
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:33 am
Funny Foreman. He doesn't have to call five times.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:44 am
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Reminds me about the story of George Foreman (of the grill fame). Apparently he has five sons, all named George!

I love the story behind this. When George Foreman was growing up his father would never acknowledge him as his son. So when George's children where born he named each one George so that they would always know that he was there father and that he was proud of them.

I think the Amish have the same last name problem - there are whole towns of families named Yoder in Ohio.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:02 am
Why not let them adopt the double barrel system, where the child can take each of the parent's surnames.
Mind you, with Wang being the most common, I hope there are not any Wet, Big or Warty's out there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:25 am
Doowop- Your post reminds me of a story that I heard years ago. The was this guy named William, who decided to go into medicine. He was concerned that his childhood nickname would follow him in his profession.

As a kid, he was called, "Big Bill"! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:47 am
The Chinese could adopt the custom of countries that put the word son as in "son of" after the fathers first name, as the childs last name.

Is that still done in Scandanavian countries?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:38 am
Chai wrote:
The Chinese could adopt the custom of countries that put the word son as in "son of" after the fathers first name, as the childs last name.

Is that still done in Scandanavian countries?

No, I don't know when that custom stopped. But I had a friend from Iraq who had seven last names, apparently they still practice that stuff over there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:44 am
cjhsa wrote:
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang!
quite likely the most well reasoned post shiksa has ever made.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:49 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Doowop- Your post reminds me of a story that I heard years ago. The was this guy named William, who decided to go into medicine. He was concerned that his childhood nickname would follow him in his profession.

As a kid, he was called, "Big Bill"! Laughing

Very Happy

I'm not sure whether the Scandinavians have stopped the son tradition, I'll have to ask my friend, Oleg Gudjohnssonsonsonson.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:43 am
I was never sure how that Scandy thing worked out...seems like a person would have troube figuring out who was related to who, since the last name kept changing every generation.

John Williamson

Philip Johnson

Erik Philipson

Louis Erikson

Edward Louison....etc.

However, it would certainly create some diversity for the Chinese.
0 Replies