thought of a good idea for a book/film/story

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:32 pm
I got this book from the library called something like "breaking the code" or "codebreakers"

It is indeed about the history of codes and cyphers and how they work.

It's facinating, I never knew the layers over layers that are put in place to hide a message.

Anyway...it was mentioning in one part about how numbers were sometimes used in the Bible to represent an actual living person...like to make a political statement under the guise of a religious message.

For instance, the book says that the number 666 was most likely really supposed to represent Nero...and that somewhere else in the bible there's something about a character going into a land to save someone with (making this number up) 3046 backing him up...today we assume he meant a few thousand of his soldiers, but in that 3046 was just a cypher for his one servant.

anyway...Got me thinking, a la DaVinci Code, if it was discovered the entire bible was just a cypher for something else...or many something elses, some ridiculous, some serious.

just throwing that out there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 375 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:08 pm
If the bible in fact were a complex code it would just fall in the endless line of contradictions.

Matthew 7:6: "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs; neither cast your pearls before swine[...]"

*grins*
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:24 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
If the bible in fact were a complex code it would just fall in the endless line of contradictions.

Matthew 7:6: "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs; neither cast your pearls before swine[...]"

*grins*

well....no it wouldn't...

I'm talking about someone looking at and studying the earliest known version, not the King James or any of the others.

The bible itself could have as many contradictions as it does, or even more....that would be the point.

The fact that billions of people have followed it, when it fact the whole thing was in fact messages regarding warfare, economics, culture, etc. Maybe even messages from aliens.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:28 pm
I was just kidding, actually. But I find the idea of hidden messages pretty far-fetched.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:31 pm
Not if them there space aliens is involved . . . with their flyin' saucers and anal probes and what not . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:52 pm
yeah, as soon as space aliens are involved, all bets are off.

Far fetched?

You mean like Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Frodo Baggins, X-men, Roger Rabbit.....?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
Not if them there space aliens is involved . . . with their flyin' saucers and anal probes and what not . .

Oh, you reminded me of something...

Years back when I moved to Texas, I did temp work at various places to bring home some grocery money.

It was my habit to bring a book and read during lunch.

At one place, this woman that worked there as me what the book I was reading was about? (Actually, although she used the word "what" I could tell she really wanted to ask "why", like that waitress of Bill Hicks at the Waffle House)

Well, I thought for a 2nd on how to express the concept of a book that was spanning several generations into 5 words or less, and finally said..."It's about immigrants"

For a second, a wrinkle appeared on her smooth brow, and I thought "uh oh, I used a big word"

Then she brightened and said...."Oh! You mean like aliens!"

Actually, I thought that was pretty astute of her, and said, "Well, yeah, but these aren't illegal aliens, this book is back in the 1910's and 20's"

she: Oh, I don't care if their illegal or not! They're from the DEVIL!

me: Shocked

she: oh yeah, I know someone who knows everything in the Bible, and they are EVIL. They're from the DEVIL!

me: Well, I don't think all of them......

she: No, they're bad! I don't care WHERE they're from either. They're ALL EVIL...................................I mean, I don't care if there from Mars or Venus or any of those other places......They're from the DEVIL!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:11 pm
Reminds me of the time some of us were sitting around talking, and one of the women (militant) asked "Jack," let's call him: "You're a feminist, aren't ya?" And he says: "Well, sorta . . . in a passive way."

Our local dim bulb employee chirps up with: "I always knew you was gay."
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:18 pm
"she: oh yeah, I know someone who knows everything in the Bible"

Thats classic Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:28 pm
One of my brothers long worked in a factory while he was in college. He was very good at chemistry, so he was a solutions tester (the factory made bulldozers, and there were a lot of chemical baths and such like). So he was known to all the guys on the assembly line, because he worked hard like them, but had to have "book smarts" to do his job. One of them was a Jehovah's Witness. He brought in a Bobble with the English on the left hand page, and the Majority Version Greek on the right hand page. The other assembly line workers immediately condemned it as false doctrine. So one night while some of them were on break and my brother came in to the break room, one of the boys hands him the Bobble and asked him if it weren't about the damnedest thing he had ever seen. My brother checked it out briefly (he can read ancient Greek by the way, as well as Latin and four modern languages), then handed it back, saying: "There's nothing unusual about that, it's a concordance." The first guy turns to the JW and says: "See, i tol' ya it was bullshit."
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » thought of a good idea for a book/film/story
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:23:56