Today, I Drove Behind a Cadillac

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:13 pm
Anyone who has ever had to follow a big Cadillac will instantly know my story before I tell it. I pulled behind one of these scows at the light. Once we were signalled 'go', the driver appeared to contemplate the greenness of the lense for a bit, before lifting his foot off the brake pedal. Eventually, his shoe found the gas. We rolled away from the intersection at a breathtaking twenty MPH for a bit, eventually coming up to thirty and there we held. Thirty MPH on a wide open road, having a speed limit of forty five. And we all know that that speed limit sign actually means fifty five to sixty, not forty five. Except the Cadillac driver.

No way around. Too many cars.

We repeated the same process when we went across 2978. At the bend, we slacked to five MPH, then came to a virtual standstill passing a lesser street that made a tee off of ours. When, finally, he decided to turn at the next intersection, he quit moving, at first, then inched in small increments around the corner.

I don't mind telling you, I wished it were happening to somebody like setanta or dys, or even jlnobody, instead of myself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 42
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:16 pm
You have to slow down even more in cases like this. Get some space between you and the obstacle, then you can accelerate to traffic speed and go around.

But yeah... any "luxury car" bound to be slow. Who'd wanna get out?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:19 pm
I have always wondered why someone buys an automobile with a 454 cubic inch engine in order to drive on an expressway with a 65 mph speed limit at 30 mph. Senility?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have always wondered why someone buys an automobile with a 454 cubic inch engine in order to drive on an expressway with a 65 mph speed limit at 30 mph. Senility?
Does Chevy still make the 454?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:31 pm
Dunno . . . i do suspect, however, that those jokers have large eights in 'em. You could put a big eight in there with fuel-injection, and waste just as much fuel haulin' around two tons of wasted metal and plastic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:34 pm
My Porsche 911 Carrara has a 3.2 litre 6 cyl that does 160 mph getting 20mpg.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:02 pm
I tell you what's worse: being behind a Cadillac driver whose
personalized license plate reads KMEKZE
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
Dunno . . . i do suspect, however, that those jokers have large eights in 'em. You could put a big eight in there with fuel-injection, and waste just as much fuel haulin' around two tons of wasted metal and plastic.

Fuel injected 8's...still a lot better gas mileage than the Caddy's of the mid-80's and before, with a lot more power and performance.

I was behind a Grand Marquis today...same deal. It's the worst how these idiots have to stop before taking a corner.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 09:42 pm
Slow down you move too fast,
Youve got to make the mornin last,
Just kickin down the cobble stones,
doo doo doo doo doot,
feelin groooovey.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 09:43 pm
hello lamp post
what cha knowin?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:29 pm
I've come to watch your flowers growin'

Is it the speed (or lack of it) that bothered yopu most edgar, or the caddy?

I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
Life I love you, all is groovy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 11:38 pm
What's with the Caddys? I've been stuck behind slow Vettes. One 4th of july weekend, I was trapped behind a virtual fleet of slow motorcycles. Steep and twisty mountain roads, sure, but there were motor homes trying to find a place to get around them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:45 am
In Tomball, it happens to be Cadillacs. I'm no authority on vehicles that block traffic when they ought to be going, but, that's my experience.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:03 am
Well, as i was attempting to obliquely point out before, it's rather obscene to buy a vehicle which gulps fuel as though there were no tomorrow in order to drive down a public road at the speed of a neighborhood's fourth-of-JOO-lie tricycle parade . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:11 am
Setanta wrote:
Well, as i was attempting to obliquely point out before, it's rather obscene to buy a vehicle which gulps fuel as though there were no tomorrow in order to drive down a public road at the speed of a neighborhood's fourth-of-JOO-lie tricycle parade . . .

Words to be distilled into a bottle.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:54 am
To make life more interesting at those subsonic speeds, why not find a place to whip your car around and then follow the Caddy while in reverse gear. That , at least would add a bit iof danger to the mix. Even better if you were in reverse while towing something .

Driving should always be exciting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:56 am
Quote:
I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
Life I love you, all is groovy

The two totally worst somgs of the past include that one and "Theyre Coming to take ME Away Away"
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:15 am
There was a time when I often rented cars for out-of-town business travel. Anyone who does this enough knows that if you wait late in the day to pick up the rental, they will be all out of the subcompact you stipulated and have to give you something larger, for the same price. I got to test drive many different cars that way.

One time, however, I ended up with a >horrors of horror< Cadillac. It's a whole 'nother world in there. My luggage and business material, which normally would comfortably fill a trunk, looked as lonely as a forgotten chair in the ballroom of the Caddy's trunk. There are buttons for every conceivable seat position. There's a button to firm or soften your seat! Ya gotta slow down for cornering, because the end of the hood is beyond normal vision range. You are totally insulated from the outside world. You don't even feel road potholes or bumps -- the car just sorta drifts over them. You start humming Burt Baccharat tunes.

When I got to my hotel -- I had to park in the tour bus spot. The behemoth is too long for normal parking spots.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:29 am
farmerman wrote:

include that one and "They're Coming to take ME Away Away"

Believe it or not I just got back from a conference. It was held in a former Insane assylum. colloquially known as Mayday Hills.
One of the features in the grounds of said centre is a HA HA Wall.

There coming to take me away HA HA!

We don't have Cadillacs here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:39 am
Tico wrote:
It's a whole 'nother world in there. My luggage and business material, which normally would comfortably fill a trunk, looked as lonely as a forgotten chair in the ballroom of the Caddy's trunk. There are buttons for every conceivable seat position. There's a button to firm or soften your seat! Ya gotta slow down for cornering, because the end of the hood is beyond normal vision range. You are totally insulated from the outside world. You don't even feel road potholes or bumps -- the car just sorta drifts over them. You start humming Burt Baccharat tunes.

When I got to my hotel -- I had to park in the tour bus spot. The behemoth is too long for normal parking spots.

This is rather ironic, in one way. Once upon a time, Cadillac meant high performance, rather than luxury. In the 1920s and -30s, Dusenbergs, Pierce Arrow touring cars and Lincoln's were synonymous with luxury, but Cadillacs were famous for their high performance and large engines. The most popular Cadillac models in the 1930s were coupes. In the Second World War, the North American Mustang fighter plane was called the "Cadillac of the Skies," not because it was luxurious (no such thing in fighter planes), but because it was high performance. Moonshine runners of the 1940s and -50s used to drive "Fordillacs"--which means they'd get an old Ford passenger sedan, and drop a Cadillac 454 in it, so that they'd look slow and pokey, but could outrun the Revenue officers if it came to a pinch.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Today, I Drove Behind a Cadillac
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:27:00