[answered] Oversensitive Filter?

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:45 pm
I was quoting a well-known American political writer and his last name was edited with "****". This writer wrote "America at the Crossroads" and "The End of History". His first name is Francis. His last name is Fukuyama.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 913 • Replies: 10
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:46 pm
See what happened when I tried to type the author's last name?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:49 pm
Wandel! Shame on you! I'm telling your mother about the kind of language you're posting on the internet where impressionable young people might trip over it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:52 pm
I don't think the filter is overly sensitive in the least. I think Mr you-know-what-to-his-yama should get a different last name.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:54 pm
JPB! You are starting to sound like Gus! Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:55 pm
No, it was our lunch with joe yesterday. He's a bad influence on me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 02:00 pm
That's what German Umlauts are for: Fükuyama. See? Ah, the German element in American spelling ... someone should write a book about it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:46 am
We get a lot of attempts to circumvent the filter, particularly with that word. That's why it's filtered that way -- there are hundreds if not thousands of attempts to circumvent the filter to post profanity but, so far as I am aware, less than 10 postings of that author's name. Therefore, we will continue with the filter.

As for successfully posting the author's name, yes, you can use an umlaut or just put a space between the u and the k.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:55 am
Technical question: is it technically possible to place the filter between the written text stored in the database and the display of the text in the thread? That way, any false positives would stay off the board itself. But people who want to read them could easily do so by quoting the post and reading it in the editing window.

Just an idea -- quite possibly a bad one.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:12 am
No, it's not possible.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:13 am
Geez..............I'd better not start a thread about Judge Peter Schmuck! Laughing

There is a very old story about a man who came before the judge, because he wanted to change his name legally. Judge Schmuck demurred saying, "If I can live with my name, you can live with yours!"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » [answered] Oversensitive Filter?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:24:31