Swimming Tiger, Hidden Salmon!

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:25 pm
On cat bathing. Some can deal with it, even like it.
I've no idea of the details on that - if there is some natural fear of humans drowning kittens, apparently a popular human mode, the fear somehow conveyed to progeny...

or a more core no-water-on-ME thing.

well, really, not my field.

I've bathed a cat, e....v....e....r.....s.....o.....g....e....n....t....l....y once or twice. Warmish, not spurting water...

Well, it worked out, those few times, forget the reasons why for the bathing in the first place.

I have a long cat scratch on my arm, barely seeable now, these years later.

That was from when Margaret landed on my elaborate pencil drawing of a property, filled with grade points, etc. I picked her up forthwith, not a thought aforethought, and she resisted. Yep, still there, presently a four inch sort of white line.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:28 pm
So..

maybe these tigers were introduced to water very gently.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:30 pm
smorgs wrote:
Quote:
Six years old, and at the prime of his life, Odin lives at the Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Zoo in Vallejo, near San Francisco. He is about 10ft long from nose to tail, and is an excellent swimmer.

Reads like a tiger dating advert...

Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:52 pm
Tigers, especially bengals sort of like water.

The diving part may be unique to this guy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:57 pm
Well, then.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
So..

maybe these tigers were introduced to water very gently.

From the Wikipedia item on Bengal tigers:

Quote:
Bengal Tigers are also strong and frequent swimmers, often ambushing drinking or swimming prey or chasing prey that has retreated into water.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:14 pm
Yay, new info works itself into my brain.

Delightful new info for me. For the prey, not news.

In the meantime, a viscerally appealing photo series, imho.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:19 pm
nimh wrote:

Bengal Tigers are also strong and frequent swimmers, often ambushing drinking or swimming prey or chasing prey that has retreated into water.

That is most unfortunate. If Imet a tiger out there in the wild and was near water, my first instinct would be to jump in.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:21 pm
<snork>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:22 pm
Why is that unfortunate, Dag? Now that you know you would probably seek other options of escape. I would say that this news, for you anyway, should be re-classified as fortunate.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:22 pm
And what the hell is osso snorking about?
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:38 pm
Oh, I just came in to say that tigers have no problems with water, but I see that someone beat me to it.

My first cat got bathed regularly once a month, because I was under the mistaken impression that it was necessary. He didn't like it, but tolerated it, probably because I started the regimen when he was a kitten.

Currently, MacDuff, my orange tabbly, thinks nothing of sitting in the middle of the lawn during a downpour. However, he gets very pissy if a mere drop falls on him when he's indoors. >shrug<

I've heard, but not seen, that cats can swim just fine. The common house cat's general aversion to wetness probably stems from their desert origins.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:39 pm
Thanks for the thread, Malek. He is so gorgeous--even with his curled up nose while under the water.

The video was impressive. Near the end you see him on his hind paws, leaning on the trainer. The guy must be tall, a shorter person would surely be knocked over.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:41 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Why is that unfortunate, Dag? Now that you know you would probably seek other options of escape. I would say that this news, for you anyway, should be re-classified as fortunate.

Yeah, but if you were thinking about climbing into a tree instead, forget about that too:

Quote:
Despite their size, Bengal Tigers can climb trees effectively

In fact, better just stay away from 'em altogether..
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:41 pm
My brother-in-law has an orange tabby that gets showered regularly (to keep the dander down due to allergies). He seems to really enjoy it but his feeling are easily hurt if you giggle at the sight of him soaking wet before he's had a chance to fluff up.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:43 pm
nimh wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Yeah, but if you were thinking about climbing into a tree instead, forget about that too:

Quote:
Despite their size, Bengal Tigers can climb trees effectively

In fact, better just stay away from 'em altogether..

Ever thought about digging a hole in the ground and escaping that way? It is my understand that tigers fear dirt and earthworms.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:45 pm
As a child I learned if tigers run around a tree long enough they turn to butter. You can then pour them on your pancakes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:46 pm
You have just validated my point about Desperate Housewives.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:48 pm
Shewolf knows what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:49 pm
Re: Swimming Tiger, Hidden Salmon!
malek wrote:
Imagine meeting this whilst doggy paddling down at the deep end!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/malekkaj/tig.jpg

Gawd, he gets oggled at all day, pent up, and they have the audacity to still make him swim after his food? I'd be pulling a face too...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:00:06