Resurrecting old threads

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:15 pm
Some forums hate thread resurrection. For good reason, some types of topics aren't well suited for resurrection. For example an old question topic that is answered isn't the greatest place for a new question.

But some discussion topic types are better suited for this, they may be timeless in subject matter and there may be more to say on the subject.

The next A2K will help this kind of thing technically (e.g. maybe the questions topic type gets closed after an answer) but till then I wanna have fun resurrecting great threads.

Here's one I did today:

National Myths-Stereotypes

Why? Because while having dinner with fbaezer in Mexico City he mentioned it in passing, telling me how he had fun talking about regional Mexican stereotypes when the thread wasn't going anywhere.

It sounded like a great thread and it is, and today I happened to remember an appropriate joke and the thread at the same time to resurrect it.

So find an old gem, and resurrect it and let us know about it here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 910 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:25 pm
Forum hegemony is sustained by the easy "new posts" view and how the forum heavyweights all use it near exclusively. So if a thread doesn't stay visible it's gone and by its nature it will be dominated by chattier threads.

Here are some ways you can find the threads to resurrect:

- Go to a forum, pick something you are interested in that's not talked about as much as it should (e.g. Kicky's sex obsessions = too much. Books = too little) and browse to an old page in the forum to find dormant threads.

- Use your Your Posts and Your Topics page in the same way to find old threads of yours as well as old ones you've participated in. This isn't as good because you don't discover something in the process.

- Pick a member and go to their member search page (their posts) and find something on the oldest pages.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:31 pm
I haven't started a sex thread in a long time! Well, okay, I did start that camel toe thread about a half hour ago--but that's more about television than sex!

Dammit, when will you people stop accusing me of things that aren't true!

Waaaaaaah!!!!

Okay, I'm leaving now. Carry on.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:32 pm
Craven- My favorite thread that I wrote, (I can't remember whether it was on A2K or Abuzz) was "Books that Will Never Be Written". At the time it was a big hit, and we had some hilarious answers, which are probably dated now. What is good about this thread is that as current interests evolve, there is always fodder for a thread such as that.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:39 pm
I remember some of those (I think there were several) on Abuzz...

Not sure if they were brought over here but if you have access to an Abuzz archive somewhere you should move em over (I don't have the archive on my computer here).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:45 pm
kickycan wrote:
I haven't started a sex thread in a long time! Well, okay, I did start that camel toe thread about a half hour ago--but that's more about television than sex!

Dammit, when will you people stop accusing me of things that aren't true!

Waaaaaaah!!!!

Okay, I'm leaving now. Carry on.

Would you stop posting on threads I'm going to post on?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:49 pm
Chai, You are a dreamer! LOL
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:50 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I remember some of those (I think there were several) on Abuzz...

Not sure if they were brought over here but if you have access to an Abuzz archive somewhere you should move em over (I don't have the archive on my computer here).

Nah, If it were on Abuzz, it is gone forever to me!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:53 pm
Before Abuzz went down I ran a spider on it an copied most of it somewhere. I'll try to find it one day (don't know what computer in which country it's on).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:30 pm
This one, http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24692&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0, was fun. But, I like the way it ends, so I wouldn't want to resurrect it for further postings.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:38 pm
Oh, yeh.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:56 pm
I have revived a few. Let's see what happens to them!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:16 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:46 pm
squinney wrote:
... But, I like the way it ends, so I wouldn't want to resurrect it for further postings.

I was tempted to post in it; but, it predates my arrival here (by more than a year). Additionally, it had a post towards the end (next to the last) from someone I have heard spoken of fondly who is no longer among the living; so, as a proper tribute to their passing (although I did not know them) I will not add to that post...but it does have several pages of good reading for me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 06:47 pm
Sturgis wrote:
squinney wrote:
... But, I like the way it ends, so I wouldn't want to resurrect it for further postings.

I was tempted to post in it; but, it predates my arrival here (by more than a year). Additionally, it had a post towards the end (next to the last) from someone I have heard spoken of fondly who is no longer among the living; so, as a proper tribute to their passing (although I did not know them) I will not add to that post...but it does have several pages of good reading for me.

I'd forgotten about it completely, and it's a hoot!

I think anyone who wants to should add to it.

Cav is exceptionally great on it, and more people will read it if it is active.

Anyhoo, keeping anything as a sort of shrine is a bit misguided, in my view, though I can understand people feeling that way......
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Resurrecting old threads
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 02:15:13