Am I dense or are they rude?

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 03:14 pm
I know someone who runs a business who feels it's important to have important conversations in person because of how easy it is to misinterpret emails. However, if I were them and I preferred to speak to you directly to answer your questions, I would call you and say so and ask if now was a good time to discuss them. Then, if the subject was about a legal topic, we could put any agreement in writing.

Basically, I'd feel blown off in your position. And I think I'd blow them off in return until they showed some initiative.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:25 am
I consider a phone call less perfect and more easily misinterpreted than writing - whether it be email or letter. I like to be able to refer back to written information. Verbal information is always more "iffy".

I'm with Setanta here - things should be spelled out so that everyone understands and problems can be avoided.

My questions weren't really conversational in nature, either.

"When was your last rate increase? How much was it? "

That sort of thing. Factual stuff.

I've had several conversations with these people in person so they know I'm not deaf and that I don't have a speech impediment or anything that would prevent phone chats. I just don't like phone chats. Too much wiggle room.

Maybe they aren't the right place to take my business.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 01:40 pm
They were abrupt - but of course that's only one staff member - maybe not the whole company is like that? I don't know how big the company is.

I'd email back saying (as has been suggested) that phoning is difficult due to work committments and you actually would like the information from them in writing - do it pleasantly but insistently and see what happens?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 01:51 pm
My take on it is that they want to talk to you "live" because they are trying to get your business. This way they can overcome your objections on the spot, sell you on their company and make a better impression.

It also makes a personal contact, gives you a voice / name / business connection that is harder to turn down than an impersonal e-mail.

Slappy, aren't you in sales? Anyone in sales or trying to obtain a new customer would prefer phone over e-mail, IMO. Depending on if I wanted to be "sold" I would take it as a good sign that they have more personable customer service and try to talk rather than write back and forth..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 03:57 pm
Boomer--

If they don't want to look up facts for an e mail, what do they think you're going to talk about on the telephone?

You are the customer. This company does not seem to be interested in earning your money.

I'm with Vivian--ask again with firm politeness and see what happens.

Are these people the only ones available?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:50 pm
No they are by far NOT the only one's available to provide this service.

They probably think they're being friendly, where, to me, their response thows up red flags.

My gut doesn't like red flags.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:59 am
I've asked for quotes in shops and been told "only if you are buying right now, otherwise...there's the RRP".

If they give you this information, (perhaps) they are worried you'll send it straight to the opposition and ask them to better it.

If that is it, I don't think it's very smart. I didn't buy from that store.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:45 am
If you have other options, mention this in your e mail. You might also cc the e mail to someone higher in the company structure.

Talking about employee e mail aversion is all very well, but you're a paying customer not a therapist for inept clerks.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:22:59