I feel the need.... the need to feed...

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:20 pm
This Saturday is the USPS food drive!

All you have to do is fill a bag with non-perishable food items and put it in/by your mail box. The Post Person picks it up and it is delivered to the food bank. Easy!

This year I'm doubling my usual budget. Why?

Because this is the first Mother's Day that I am officially a mother!

As an Official Mother, I feel the need to feed people so I'm going shopping!

There are a million ways to be a mother -- official, nonofficial, doesn't matter. (Yes, you know I'm talking about you -- and you know who you are -- and you're a great mom.)

Be a mother, feed some people.

Happy Mother's Day!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,072 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:29 pm
Oh wow, your first official mother's day, that's so cool! It seems like it's been forever.

Thanks for the reminder, will do.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:38 pm
It does seem like a long time, doesn't it? We've done Mother's Day for several years now but the adoption was really just finished last September so this is a first in a new way.

I love this food drive. I think it is the best conceived and best run charity event in America. It is so easy and so direct. Really, hat's off to the USPS for this one.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:51 pm
Interesting. Nevah hoird of et!

*runs off to Google it*
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:03 pm
The USPS press release on this event:

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2007/pr07_0508.htm

Apparently my town doesn't participate. Sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:09 pm
Yeah, mine either. No postcards anyway, and I can't find any reference anywhere. Can't find a master list of cities that participate, can you, fishin'?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:18 pm
There doesn't seem to be a master list anywhere. You'd think with something this large there would be...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:20 pm
Hmmm.. I take that back. There is a list... sort of.

If you know your Post Office Branch number you can look here:

http://www.nalc.org/commun/foodrive/Coords-5-9-2007.html

It looks like if your post office branch isn't listed then they aren't participating.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:20 pm
Usually they give postcards but this year my mailman left a bag to fill. A little yellow bag -- maybe look for that in your mailbox instead of a postcard.

I don't understand communities that don't participate. It is such a great idea.

The last year that I had my studio we did a promo for the food drive and collected about 700 pounds of food over the three weeks preceding the event. I don't know why more business' don't get involved. It was great for my shop. We did gangbusters during the promo.

They say that food banks are under a lot of stress right now because so many military families are having to use them.

With school almost over for the year, the food banks are sure to come under additional stress.

It takes so little to do so much.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:22 pm
Maybe in areas that don't participate people could maybe think about sending a check to their area food bank this weekend.

The USPS always does this the Saturday before Mother's Day.

Do it for your mom.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:32 pm
i wonder. Here in Abq, postal service is farmed off to some side firm that does delivery. (Hmm, would they like some curry fixings..)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:53 pm
I've checked for several years - Cambridge doesn't usually do the food drive.

They are doing it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:20 pm
Yeah, Cambridge!

I remember in years past, littlek, your lamenting of the fact that your community didn't participate. I'm glad they finally got with the program.

I think high density student areas probably don't particpate as they should. But really, it takes so little to help that even people without a lot of money can do a lot of good.

Five dollars will buy a couple of jars of peanut butter, or several cannisters of oatmeal, or lots of beans and pasta.

I usually budget what I would spend on a casual meal out -- about $40.00. I go to the discount store and stock up on non-perishables. If I find a good sale on, say, cereal, I'll spend the whole $40 on cereal.

Then, instead of going out for a meal, I'll have cereal for dinner.

And it's the best bowl of cereal ever.

Really, nobody in America should go to bed hungry.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:01 pm
Boomer, I am putting out canned pineapple, beans, roasted-stewed tomatoes. I usually buy canned food through the year that I never eat. If it's been in the pantry fo more than a few months and I haven't eaten it - I'll put it out. Maybe I'll add to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:22 pm
Find participating po locations didn't give me a clue except to tell me what I already know, where my post office is. Eh?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:29 am
Canned beans and tomatoes earmarked for this year. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:25 am
boomerang wrote:
Usually they give postcards but this year my mailman left a bag to fill. A little yellow bag -- maybe look for that in your mailbox instead of a postcard.

Nope.

And they don't seem to be doing it here either -- just one branch, and I haven't figured out which one it is. I'm pretty sure it's not mine but if it's close enough maybe I'll just take some stuff straight there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:54 am
I just called my Post Office and they checked with "Ray", my carrier, and Ray allows as how he'll pick up a bag of groceries if it's sittin' right by the mailbox.

Cupboard cleaning day.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:31 am
fishin wrote:
The USPS press release on this event:

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2007/pr07_0508.htm

Apparently my town doesn't participate. Sad

I received mine yesterday - didn't note the date though as I had a busy night. Thanks for the reminder though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:26 am
Boomer--

You are responsible for a major detour in my day. I will feel virtuous as soon as I've finished feeling woefully behinders.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I feel the need.... the need to feed...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 08:57:36