Sidewalks? Not in my front yard!

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:35 am
Sidewalks crack suburb tranquility[/size]
Residents throughout the area are concerned that their lifestyles will change if walks are added to their neighborhoods[/b]

By Courtney Flynn
Tribune staff reporter
Published May 9, 2007 (reg. req'd)

In more than 30 years, Hubert Frank has never regretted that his Northbrook neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks.

If residents in one of the dozen homes on his block want to walk their dogs, they head for the street. To get to school, children board a bus in front of their houses. And if postal carriers need to drop off packages, they just might cut across the quarter-acre lawns lined with tulip beds and flowering trees.

Although sidewalks are fine with many communities, adding them to existing neighborhoods can create a firestorm.

In Western Springs, people have complained about the cost. In Mokena, residents in an older part of town opposed sidewalks because they would ruin the rural feel. And in Northbrook, more than 170 homeowners have signed petitions against having sidewalks poured on their blocks after the town budgeted $6 million to add them in targeted areas across the village.

Some say sidewalks could disturb trees and landscaping, and others fearwho might come sauntering through their neighborhoods.

Sidewalks, it seems, represent some of the things people move to more rural-feeling subdivisions to escape: Foot traffic. Noise. Concrete. Taxes.

"We came here for the green grass, we came here for the suburban environment and for the schools," Frank said. "I think we have a beautiful street, and sidewalks would take away that beauty."

The Northbrook Safety Commission is scheduled to hear residents' concerns at a meeting Wednesday. The commission will make recommendations to the Village Board, which on June 18 could consider their petitions against sidewalks on their blocks.

In many communities, sidewalks are enmeshed in everyday life, and people like them.

In Glenview, residents are so eager to see improvements to the community's system of sidewalks that they packed village-sponsored tours to look at existing sidewalks and help develop ways to become more pedestrian-friendly.

But when officials in Mokena considered adding sidewalks in an older part of town several years ago, residents living along streets with ditches and no curbs objected, said Village Administrator John Downs.

"Most people said, look, we like the rural feel, we've been here for many years, and they weren't in favor of changing the nature of their neighborhood," Downs said.

In Western Springs earlier this year, money was an issue. A group of residents who originally wanted sidewalks installed for safety reasons along part of Grand Avenue ended up petitioning against them after they found out the cost, said Erik Beck, the village's municipal services coordinator. The project died, he said.

The village would have required residents to pay for 70 percent of the installation, roughly $60 a month for five years, Beck said.

"It was like they were hungry and then saw the prices on the menu and backed out," Beck said.

In Northbrook, the residents protesting sidewalks said they could see the benefit of them in some parts of the village -- just not in their front yards.

"The thing that seems to bother most people in my area is that it's unnecessary and unwanted," said Stuart Schwartz, 58, who has lived in his Jeffrey Court home for more than 10 years. "To go digging up all this landscaping for no reason is just kind of silly."

But village officials said the sidewalks are needed for safety and so Northbrook can become more connected.

"You should have sidewalks everywhere in the village," said Village President Eugene Marks. "Sidewalks are a major issue. ... Now that we're finally doing it, people are saying no."

Generally, sidewalks are common in new subdivisions, said John Norquist, president of the Congress for the New Urbanism, a Chicago-based non-profit group that promotes walkable development. But they still are often left out of golf-course communities or developments with expansive lawns that strive for an "estate" feel, he said. And in some locations, they just might not be necessary at all.

"You obviously need a sidewalk on Michigan Avenue, you need one in Oak Park and in downtown Naperville," Norquist said. "But when you get out to places like McHenry County, it's remote and people are probably going to be driving just about everywhere."

Since the early 1990s, Northbrook has been building sidewalks in areas where there were none, first along major roads and later along residential streets within a half-mile of a school, said Chris Tomich, assistant village engineer. But the program has been dependent on the village's budget, he said.

In August, Northbrook officials earmarked about $6 million to help build sidewalks over three years, enabling the village to work more quickly through its to-do list, Tomich said.

As part of the village's code, people building homes are required to pay the full cost of a sidewalk in front of their house if they're on a main road or within a half-mile of a school, Tomich said. In neighborhoods that never had sidewalks, like many on the to-do list, residents would be asked to pay half the cost, roughly $2,000 for a 130-foot stretch, he said.

Many who signed the petitions said it was not the cost that concerned them, but rather that sidewalks are unnecessary and could harm trees and landscaping. Some of them live on cul-de-sacs or short streets without much traffic. In addition, they said, children take buses to school.

Frank, 68, who organized a petition for Whitehall Drive, said sidewalks could also pose a safety risk by welcoming strangers into the neighborhood.

"There's strange things happening in the world today, so why would we want to open up that possibility?" he said. "We are connected, we all know each other. The concern is, who knows what you'd be encouraging to come through."

Trustee A.C. Buehler said the village would try to avoid large trees if sidewalks were installed and cautioned that plantings close to the curb are likely in the village-owned right of way.

Tomich said the village would relocate shrubs, bushes or flower beds if they were in the way of a new sidewalk. Retaining walls would be restored, and sprinkler systems fixed.

"We're generally very, very accommodating to residents," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 874 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:51 am
That sounds quite funny for me as a German: here, people refuse to pay town taxes when the sidewalks aren't ready Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:54 am
I suspect that this:

Quote:
. . . others fear who might come sauntering through their neighborhoods.

--might be the strongest motivating factor. Those who live in neighborhoods without sidewalks probably rely upon automobiles to get where they are going if the destination is outside the neighborhood. People who routinely use sidewalks might be perceived as those who cannot afford an automobile, and therefore "don't belong."

A friend of mine live in a walled and gated community in Florida. I lived there for a few months to help him with hs business while he was in chemotherapy. One day, the old vehicle we used to get back and forth to work blew a tire, and we discovered that the spare was flat, as well. So we walked back to the house to get the "good" car, so we could take the tire to be repaired. A patrol car cruising the neighborhood stopped us to ask our business. People in their yards stared at us, and when a second patrol car caught up to us just as we reached the house, we suspected that someone had called the police about us. Walking, rather than driving, made us suspicious to people. That was a suburb of Orlando. Orlando has a bus service, and it sucks. I really don't know how people without cars get along in that town.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:57 am
Wealthier communities often don't have sidewalks here because they can afford to fix the sewers themselves. Poorer communities, when faced with having to upgrade the sewers, are forced to turn to the feds for money, and then are subject to the ADA, and in go the sidewalks.

I don't like sidewalks either, if given a choice. There are none where I live now, and I would have loved to live in Los Altos, CA where the only sidewalks are downtown, instead of the less rural nearby community where I did live.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:15 am
What actually have sidewalks to do with the sewers? You must have a sewarage when there's only a road/street. No?

We do have, on the other hand, quite a few neighbourhoods without sidewalks, too. That are those where no cars are allowed (besides people living there). They've got a speed limit ... "walking speed only"

http://i12.tinypic.com/4r9mdko.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:17 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
What actually have sidewalks to do with the sewers?

$$$$ and the ADA.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:20 am
What Cjhsa is saying Walter, is that if a poorer community needs to rely upon Federal funding to repair/replace their sewer systems, they are then required to meet the provision of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which will require sidewalks to be installed for the benefit of the disabled.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:01 am
Setanta wrote:
I suspect that this:

Quote:
. . . others fear who might come sauntering through their neighborhoods.

--might be the strongest motivating factor.

I suspect that you are correct. It's hard to understand who all of these menacing pedestrians might be, but then irrational fear is hard to understand in general.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:12 am
Setanta wrote:
What Cjhsa is saying Walter, is that if a poorer community needs to rely upon Federal funding to repair/replace their sewer systems, they are then required to meet the provision of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which will require sidewalks to be installed for the benefit of the disabled.

Exactly, even if the community doesn't want sidewalks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sidewalks? Not in my front yard!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:53:57