Vinegar - The all purpose everything

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 07:30 am
Mame wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mame wrote:
If you have a smelly room, a bowlful of vinegar and water absorbs the odor.

I took your suggestion and tried it in my living room and the effect was startling. Everything was sucked into the bowl, leaving only a black hole where there was once a room.

How is it you're still here?

You have to ask?

Even black holes won't suck Gus.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 07:47 am
I know that some alcoholics tried vinegar as surrogate ... .

(No, I didn't.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 12:47 pm
Quote:
I know that some alcoholics tried vinegar as surrogate ... .

Just in case there was some vestige of hard cider lurking in the jug?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 01:58 pm
mosquito bites = dab generously with vinegar to reduce itching and swelling

as kids we made our own "fizzy" drinks by adding a bit of vinegar and a pinch of baking soda to fruitjuice , see it bubble and bubble (works just like clearing the drain - no kidding Laughing !)
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 06:29 am
I just wanted to report back that I've been using vinegar instead of fabric softener in the laundry and ... it works perfectly. In casually mentioning this vinegar thing around, I discovered an older woman who told me that she's been using vinegar for fabric softener for 30-40 years. She's such a precise and exacting person that her endorsement bears weight.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 07:00 am
Hmm, until the 50's it was the one and only possibilty. And then they sold fabric softeners ...

Btw: Acetic acid (in German know as "vinegar essence") is cheaper and more odour-friendly (1 part water plus 1/8 acetic acid)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:22 am
Yeah tico...I've been using it all the time too. It's more eco friendly also.

As far as baking soda and vinegar soda down the drain, I don't know about unlblocking big clogs, but I'll do that while I'm doing my makeup in the morning, and it definetly has the water running more freely.

Also, it's kinda fun. I'll sprinkle a pile of baking soda on the drain area, then I'll go get roland. He loves to watch the fizzing when I pour the vinegar on....to him, it's as good as the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 10:50 am
A gallon of vinegar and a large box of baking soda make a wonderful gift for kids 5-12. Teenage kids also love the explosive effects, but are often too cool to return to childish pasttimes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 11:18 am
speaking of explosives, wash your hands in vinegar after blasting and it removes that nasty ANFO smell.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 11:34 am
farmerman wrote:
speaking of explosives, wash your hands in vinegar after blasting and it removes that nasty ANFO smell.

(making note)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:26 pm
Back to the plebian question of uses of vinegar:

Do you know that if you put a little vinegar in the rice water at the end, it will stay really, really white?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:11 am
Heinz company spokesperson Michael Mullen has cited numerous studies to show that a straight 5 percent solution of vinegar such as you can buy in the supermarket kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses).

He noted that Heinz can't claim on their packaging that vinegar is a disinfectant since the company has not registered it as a pesticide with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). However, it seems to be common knowledge in the industry that vinegar is powerfully antibacterial.

Clean the coffeepot: Hard water can clog a coffeepot and cause yucky buildup inside it. To remedy this, pour 1 cup vinegar in your coffeepot, fill the rest of the way with water, then run it through a cycle as usual (without coffee grounds in the filter). Rinse the coffeepot out. Fill it with fresh water and run another cycle without coffee to rinse the inside of the coffee maker.

Loosen food grime and clean the microwave: Place a microwave-safe bowl with 2 cups water, 1/2 cup vinegar inside the microwave and microwave on full power for 3-4 minutes (it needs to boil). Keep your microwave closed for a few minutes to allow the steam to loosen the grime, then open your microwave, carefully remove the bowl, and wipe clean!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:29 am
On the microwave thing....you don't even need the vinegar.
Just boil water for a couple of minutes and everything just wipes off.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:54 am
Chai wrote:
On the microwave thing....you don't even need the vinegar.
Just boil water for a couple of minutes and everything just wipes off.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:04 pm
Tryagain wrote:
Water; found to be very useful when boiling an egg. There must be a pail full of other uses.

Water is also good for boiling pisscetti.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:54 pm
Ouch! That hurt, are you a member of the The Picchetti Winery Club? Laughing

Say what, does the wood paneling in your den look dull and dreary? Liven it up with this simple homemade remedy: Mix 1 pint warm water, 4 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a container, give it a couple of shakes, and apply with a clean cloth. Let the mixture soak into the wood for several minutes, then polish with a dry cloth.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 07:34:44