Wearing Red on Fridays to Support Our Troops

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:57 am
Temper--whom some of you may remember from Abuzz--forwarded me an e-mail urging all Americans to wear red on Fridays as a gesture of support for the troops in Iraq (and presumably Afghanistan).

Quote:
Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday (tomorrow) and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home.

Will you be wearing red tomorrow?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 589 • Replies: 19
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:03 am
Looked it up (I seem to get "wear red on Fridays" emails for several different causes), found this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/redfriday.asp

and this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Friday

I'm not against it per se but since it seems to both of limited symbolic impact and limited use, I'll probably find more concrete ways to show my support (recently sent some care package items, for example).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:12 am
Re: Wearing Red on Fridays to Support Our Troops
Noddy24 wrote:
Temper--whom some of you may remember from Abuzz--forwarded me an e-mail urging all Americans to wear red on Fridays as a gesture of support for the troops in Iraq (and presumably Afghanistan).

Quote:
Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday (tomorrow) and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home.

Will you be wearing red tomorrow?

I thought the wearing of red was reserved to highlight women's heart disease.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:48 am
Soz--

I'm with you in feeling that actions speak louder than bloody shirts.

Miller--

I don't think any single group can claim exclusive ownership of a color, a day or a piece of clothing--let alone all three.

God Bless Unstandardized America.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:49 am
No, I am not wearing red for anyone!!!

Besides I'd have to buy something red before I could wear it!

And besides that, I think I am doing enough supporting by not bitching (too much) when my husband works late ours, or goes off for weeks or months 'to save the world'
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:33 am
I get emails from certain members of my family to wear red to support and also to remember soldiers who are fighting or have fought (and now live with the memories).

So it's for Canucks too. Red - the poppy = all to say in some little way "Hey, we know you are there and we care."

So, yeah, I've done it. Mainly for the people I know about and care about.

There were some Legion Members who really loved me up over the years. I'll do much to make em happy.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:14 am
In Massachusetts we're supposed to be wearing the colors of Virigina Tech.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:19 am
this wearing red and tieing yellow ribbons 'round the old oak tree is horseshit. If we want to do something to support the troops why don't about 75 million of us march on Washington and demand representative government and bring them home?

why not call a general strike from coast to coast and shut the system down for a day, or a week?

Because that would require effort and moving a little bit out of our comfort zone, that's why. Playing dress up is so much less stressful.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:41 am
I happen to be wearing red today, but it was total chance, nothing about the troops.

I really don't get it either, this idea that wearing a color is showing support.

They don't know what I'm wearing, and I don't care what other random people think about my level of support.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:43 am
Go naked today! That'll show them.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:43 am
I bet you look hot in red though. I'm thinking about it right now.... ooooooo....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:45 am
You talkin' to me?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:46 am
Go naked! But first paint your body red...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:47 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You talkin' to me?

I prefer to picture you in black fishnet Depends Gus. And maybe an astronaut patch on your bustier.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:51 am
I am glad I reside in your dreams, Bear. It makes me feel like a complete man.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:52 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You talkin' to me?

I prefer to picture you in black fishnet Depends Gus. And maybe an astronaut patch on your bustier.

Then just add the high heel red shoes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
can the spike heels be mirrored? I think then we have a truly complete picture, and any serviceman would be proud to be associated with this image of Gus.

God Bless America.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
I would imagine such things could have an uplifting feeling among the troops if they show a sea of red in support of them. The problem is if they are in Iraq or elsewhere overseas, they won't see it so how is it helping/supporting them - they will be unaware.

Maybe this would work well as a home coming rather than a random day of the week that only other non-enlisted people would view.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:52 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I bet you look hot in red though. I'm thinking about it right now.... ooooooo....

Yeah well, just look at my avatar...I'm not even wearin' a bra under that red halter top.

Note gus staring at me in the background, as dag poses in the doorway a la Mrs. Robinson.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 09:11 am
I heard on NPR it's supposed to be VA Tech (maroon / orange) colors day.

I'm in black and blue.

I think that covers the state of the world.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wearing Red on Fridays to Support Our Troops
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 04:52:36