In Your Easter Bonnet...

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:45 pm
Does anyone still wear Easter bonnets? There are photos of me as a child dressed to the nines with patent leather shoes and white lace trimmed anklets, a ruffled dress with layer upon layer of crinolines (who remembers those?)
And on top my head full of perfect finger-curls was a little white bonnet with ribbons and flowers, always the elastic strap cutting off my windpipe. Very Happy

"Easter Bonnet"
In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it,
You'll be the grandest lady in the Easter Parade.
I'll be all in clover and when they look you over,
I'll be the proudest fellow in the Easter Parade.
On the avenue, Fifth Avenue, the photographers will snap us,
And you'll find that you're in the rotogravure.
Oh, I could write a sonnet about your Easter bonnet,
And of the girl I'm taking to the Easter Parade.

Written by Irving Berlin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Tico

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:24 pm
Except for the finger curls, that was me, too.

My grandmother made sure of it -- she had a saying that if you didn't get a new hat for Easter the birds would **** on you. (Hmmm ... she probably didn't use the word '****' ...)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:58 am
We must all be of an age. I got "rag curls" -- ringlets. Man I hated sleeping on those things but you didn't say "no" to Grandma.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 12:41 am
Happy Easter Ladies! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 07:09 am
Happy Easter happycat and Tico! In honour of the day I may just wear a hat (but no ringlets!) (The hat is no hardship -- it's supposed to continue snowing -- will probably be a tuque Laughing )
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a wave of replies, here. Could it be that we are the only ones?

I'm sure I had different style hats through the years, but the one in my memory was a wide-rimmed straw boater with a white gosgrain ribbon around the crown that had long tails that tickled my neck, and silk daisies around the crown as well. I tried to find a picture, but couldn't ....

Happy Easter, both of you.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 07:42 am
.... something like this, but the ribbon was much more modest (and white), and definitely with the elastic strap cutting off my windpipe as happycat says.

http://www.victorianelegance.com/ve/vec1330.jpg
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 08:26 am
Easter Bonnets were great.

Bring them back NOW!

We used to have competitions at school and take it all very seriously.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 08:37 am
I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Every Easter after I was about 5 (or so I remember it) my aunt would take me shopping for a new Easter hat and short white gloves.

We (the hamburgers, aunt, uncle and weeBeth) would go for an Easter walk each year all decked out in our finery.

I'm sure hamburger has Easter photos in the albums back home.

this seems to be the only one I have (finery, but no hats), I think it's Easter 1959

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8524/familywithlionprobablyeaster19.jpg

hamburger, mrs. hamburger, weeBeth, aunt, uncle
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 09:05 am
Cutie pie.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 09:05 am
No finery for me. It's closely linked to going to church, no?

Last year, about a month after Easter, I got some Easter finery for sozlet at Gymboree. Heavily discounted -- ~90% off -- good quality, figured why not. Bought it in the next size up at the time, fits her now. No idea what we'll do with it. :-? Dress her up and take some pics, I guess.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 11:28 am
Nasty little boys used to pluck and twang the elastic on hats.

The grown-ups thought it was cute. Not only did they not interfere, they adimred the plucking and twanging as early courtship rituals.

It hurt.

An Easter bonnet (c. 1947) started my interest in feminism.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 02:01 pm
Little boys spoil everything when your a little girl, and they smell.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » In Your Easter Bonnet...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:31:08