A question for younger members..Who are your Heros?

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:17 am
Who are the heros today? Who are the people you truly want to emulate?

During the week, an employee of the company I work for had to be terminated for unprofessional behavior. Prompted by this, the manager of our human resources department will be giving a presentation regarding professional behavior to a large group of employees.

I was asked to go over the presentation and give feedback, which I did and some editing was done, after discussion of how the material would be perceived.

One of the areas was prompting employees to view how their behavior would be seen by others, and if others would find their behavior professional, socially acceptable, and so on.

This prompted an interesting side bar discussion of where some people are learning what acceptable public behavior is today.

Today, it seems as if it would be really difficult to find a role model if one was just looking at the world of popular culture. We have "reality TV", which is an oxymoron, showing people airing their dirty laundry, engaging in gross behavior and glorifying people who are never seen reading a book or newspaper, or watching the news. Then, we have shows like "American Idol", where someone is looked up to by the mere fact they can sing a song. Then of course, we have more people who are simply famous for being famous, like Paris Hilton.

To consciously or unconsciously aspire to be like these manufactured role models just leaves one with such a dead feeling. Where is the real meaning?

I know there are a lot of very intelligent, emotionally mature people out there, who aim to be their own personal best, and may use strong individuals as their heros, whether they are well know or not, or even known at all outside a very small circle.

Who are the people you strive to be more like today?

Thanks if you choose to respond.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:31 am
(Define "younger"...?)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:34 pm
sozobe wrote:
(Define "younger"...?)

Well, I suppose everyone is "young at heart"

buy I was wondering about some of the teenagers we get here, or people just starting out on their own.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:36 pm
I would be curious to know, also.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:16 pm
I dont think there IS a person that could qualify as a hero anymore..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:16 pm
When I was about 10, mine was Mr Rogers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:38 pm
Chai climbs up the porch steps, her knees creaking, heavily leaning on her cane. Slowly, she carefully settles her her fat white ass into a rocking chair and thoughtfully pulls at a bra strap.

Wallll....whilst weeze is sattin' cher waiting on the youg'uns to show up (spits some ta'baccy juice over the rail, and wipes chin) I mote as well tell yeeze a story...

OK, really...I went to the bank the other day, had to open an account. As the youngish, maybe 25 year old banker guy was fiddlin' with his 'puter, I noticed the framed picture on his desk.

It was an old black and white portrait, and I thought..."naw, that can't be, he just hasn't put a picture of his own there yet. Or it's a joke."

I asked him "who is that in that picture"?

He said "Alexander Hamilton"

Well, I thought it was a joke, since I was in a bank, then I thought..."jeeze maybe this guy doesn't even have anybody to put a picture of on his desk"

So, kidding I said "What, when you have a problem, do you ask yourself, What Would Alex Do"?

He looked thoughtful for a moment, and then said "Well, yeah, actually I do. Something like that".

He then told me while he was going for his finance degree, he had to study Hamilton, and was so facinated by him he continued his reading on him alone. He threw some really interesting facts about Hamiltons life at me, that I knew nothing about. As our business continued, and we chatted some more, he started telling me other things, like how he felt about people today, and their inability to save, and what he thought were possible solutions.

By the time I left, I was thinking he was such a thoughtful young man, with a purpose and the sense of direction needed to get where he wanted to be.

Who'd of thought...Alexander Hamilton.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:40 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

I disagree. I think they are a little harder to find than they used to be (mostly because the tabloid press jumps on every single little thing any celeb does..) but there are some that still are positive role models.

IMO, LaDanian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers (NFL Football for those that don't follow it!) is one example. Aside from playing football (very well I might add!) he created his own foundation to help kids from low-income families and he runs "Camp LT" which is a football camp for low-income high schoolers that is free of charge and pushes academic acheivement.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:43 pm
I think a lot of people would probably put Bono in there too. He's not only famous for being in U2 but for his humanitarian work.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:54 pm
The young guy with the picture of Hamilton will probably be president of the bank one day, Chai.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:58 pm
Chai is my hero. She's full of moxie. :wink:
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:16 pm
Harry S. Truman.

One of my college professors.

T's graduate advisor.

My grandparents.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:23 pm
Reyn wrote:
Chai is my hero. She's full of moxie. :wink:

I've got something to tell you.
It might hurt your feelings a bit.
I got of the phone with our friend Chai.
She says that you're full of...

Shaving cream!
Be nice and clean!
Shave everyday and you'll
Always look keen!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:23 pm
For me it's easy. I grew up with my current heroes. Vaclav Havel would be on top. Or Adam Michnik.
From the current U.S. people... Bono would work, I'm also a fan of Jeffrey Sachs.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:24 pm
fishin wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

I disagree. I think they are a little harder to find than they used to be (mostly because the tabloid press jumps on every single little thing any celeb does..) but there are some that still are positive role models.

IMO, LaDanian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers (NFL Football for those that don't follow it!) is one example. Aside from playing football (very well I might add!) he created his own foundation to help kids from low-income families and he runs "Camp LT" which is a football camp for low-income high schoolers that is free of charge and pushes academic acheivement.

fishin - I can't believe being from Boston you didn't say Big Papi! He is a hero for my 8 year old. Not only is he an incredible ball player, he has an excellent attitude and great sportmanship that is rare with professional atheletes. He also is a huge person in helping helping others especially children. He helps many chartible organizations that help children in the Boston area as well as his home country of the Dominic Republic - through time and money.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:26 pm
Linkat wrote:
fishin - I can't believe being from Boston you didn't say Big Papi! He is a hero for my 8 year old. Not only is he an incredible ball player, he has an excellent attitude and great sportmanship that is rare with professional atheletes. He also is a huge person in helping helping others especially children. He helps many chartible organizations that help children in the Boston area as well as his home country of the Dominic Republic - through time and money.

Embarrassed I am properly admonished!

Baseball season just started again. I'm still in a football state of mind! Razz
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
Teddy Roosevelt
Nikola Tesla
Andrew Carnegie
Samuel Clemens

and this wouldn't be an honest hero list if I left these three off

Superman
Tarzan
Darth Vader
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:26 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Darth Vader

Get him a volume control for his respirator, and I'll be on board....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:43 pm
Linkat wrote:
fishin wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

If you're talkin' baseball heroes, there is no substitute...

http://ultimateyankees.com/Derek%20Jeter%20Auto%20Photo%20with%20Bat.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:37 pm
Yeck kicky - I like a real ball player not those pretty boy types. Big Papi has my heart. I even saw Papi up close and he gave me a little wave. My daughter and I just love him. He has such a sweet smile and a great big heart.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A question for younger members..Who are your Heros?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 07:25:36