where religion comes from

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:01 pm
what the heck was a 15 year-old doing, attempting to drive a car? is this another good reason not to move to the States?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:06 pm
Driver's Ed, darlin' . . . just stay away from small towns on weekday afternoons--in fact, i was almost sideswiped on my way back to the shop at lunch time by a car clearly marked "Student Driver" . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:11 pm
Are they crazy? 15!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:12 pm
I think i'm understanding more about people finding religion. Being faced with a 15 year old driver could drive me to serious religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:13 pm
Well, they're a gonna turn 'em loose with a driver's license at age 16, better get 'em some windshield time before they are inflicted on the general public. Anyway, Lovey, i don't make the laws, i just ridicule them . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:17 pm
that Bailey sure is a sweet dog. Making sure Cleo was ok when you met. Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:20 pm
Is it my imagination, or does Setanta have two fine bitches riding his lap? In Canada, the first thing they teach you is that while the cupholder will not hold a large coffee, it is a perfect size for your average 341 ml. bottle of beer, and a can of similar size also fits, with less chance of breakage, should you have to stop suddenly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:43 pm
Kinda reminds me of Nuevo Mexico, Cav--every little store and pop stand has a drive-up beer window. Stop yer average country boy in, say, Espanola, and ask him if he is drinkin' and drivin' and the likely answer will be: "Huh? whatchou mean, man?"
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:11 am
silver_nekode

Just to get back to your question "where do new religions come from ?" - this is surely a function of redefintion of group membership and historical events over time. E.g. Roman Catholicism was a direct result of the Romans attempt to "cash in" on a the popular Judaic cult of Jesus, hence the move of the Sabbath to Sunday (formerly for worship of Apollo the sun god), which now has its corollary in the counter movement of the "Seventh Day Adventists". Similarly "Mormonism" could be viewed as a common "answer" brought on by the common deprivations of a group of early settlers etc. It is interesting that the Mormons have recently retracted their allowance of polygamy because of "out-group" pressures, (...perhaps not wishing to be tarred with the same brush as Moslems who are now politically acquiring a "bete-noir" status..?)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:13 am
Setanta
Quote:
thank God I'm an atheist.

Sounds like the tittle and a good theme for a country and western song.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:15 am
Actually, AU, i stole it from a song i hear on Dr. Demento last Sunday--and it was a C/W tune . . .
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:58:46