Home security for an apartment?

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:49 pm
A cut-out of Whoopi Goldberg's face in the window should be enough to scare anyone off.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
Not good, although these creeps seem to be everywhere. I've lived in bad neighborhoods, but not with a child. I think the goal should be to move. How's the house fund coming along?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:56 pm
Osso..

what you describe is how some of this neighborhood is.

Granted, it IS very quiet, and usually peaceful.

I like our little place. I like our little corner, and if I never had to look outside, I would love it here. Tiny apt and all.

For the most part, I dont bother them, they dont bother me.
I dont attract attention, I make no noise.. but I do say Hi! How are ya! If they are looking at me, and have even had a few sentence conversation with some. Exactly so.. I know who they are.
There are some parents here as well that I have come to like..

but it is still 'ghetto' ........ no way in the sense it is in California..
but none the less.. birds of a feather..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:59 pm
I agree moving is smart, ultimately, re defense. More aggressively, Shewolf and family are stabilizers. There needs to be enough shewolves.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:12 pm
The house fund is moving slowly.

We had to take a good chunk out of our savings to simply get things we needed when we moved in.

We had no dishes, no pans, no pots, no silverware, no towels, no washer, no dryer.. etc

Things like that have added up and I am working to replace it. But it isnt happening as fast as I would like it.

We do have a 3 year goal of leaving the state.
But that money will come from Ians work / savings/ retirement

Yes. i would love to move. But I have a really GOOD deal here and we can afford it.

I mean, show me where , according to police records only .. that you can pay 510 a month for a very low crime neighborhood?

I have not seen anyone being broken into.
I have not seen a car stolen
I have not seen anyone break into someones car
No loud fights ( except for downstairs )
Nothing that would bother anyone.

Except for the occasional too loud car speakers, this IS a very quiet , rather clean "slum"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:21 pm
In the unlikely event your perp sees that photo on a2k, he isn't going to like the person who put it there. If you are recognizable from your avatar, I would remove one, or both. That's just me, of course.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:22 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I lived with trouble across from my kitchen window, but none of them ever looked up. I got ahold of the owner & police , and I did do the occasional photo , just in case....

I'll speak up as not against the odd deal. But I didn't like my neighbor with (presumed) meth distribution on a routine basis, or some other distribution. Trucks would be there, for, oh seven minutes, and then roar off, as I washed my dishes.

This wass all a big quandary, as you don't want to endanger yourselves and yet need to keep the f.kers away.

This is a microcosm of what war is about, what you are dealing with.

I'll never mind folks dabbling in this or that - but -

A distribution center forty feet from me in an apartment house, trucks and then trucks, No.

As it happened, I went to the owners, they made their inquiries, and the folks doing distribution were booted. I did worry for a few weeks about retribution.

Everybody there after that was fine by me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:41 pm
OK, here's what you do for at night.

take shards of glass and glue them points upwards on pieces of wood about 6'x4'...put the wood down about 3 feet away from each window and door. Cover it with a sheet.

In front of each piece of wood put a trip wire.

That'll give him enough space to climb in through the window and take a couple of steps before hitting the wire.

Give me a minute to think about day time security.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:51 pm
Chai wrote:
OK, here's what you do for at night.

take shards of glass and glue them points upwards on pieces of wood about 6'x4'...put the wood down about 3 feet away from each window and door. Cover it with a sheet.

In front of each piece of wood put a trip wire.

That'll give him enough space to climb in through the window and take a couple of steps before hitting the wire.

Wow! I sure wouldn't want to mess with you! Shocked :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:51 pm
Oh, shewolf, I am not trying to get you to move. I'm just here talking.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:54 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Much pot smoke fills my house in the afternoon that isnt ours.

That's it. I'm moving to Texas!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:56 pm
Sorry if you were all having a serious discussion, but I'm drinking heavily. Okay, maybe not so heavily, but I'm feeling it. I haven't eaten all day. Hey, who turned out the lights?

<fwump>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:59 pm
Reyn wrote:
Wow! I sure wouldn't want to mess with you! Shocked :wink:

Phucking A Tweety.

I guess for during the day you could use the old "pile of bricks held up by the door of the room where the goods are" trick.

Just make sure there's enough bricks to really do a lot of of damage to his skull.

I once got ambushed like that, but they only used metal milk crates, so it didn't even knock me out.

It almost did, but just left me rather angry.

I'm still not entirely happy with this, it might not get knocked out, and will still take your stuff. I have to think some more.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:04 pm
Chai wrote:

If I were on the ground floor I could bury live ammo in the dirt. Balance the firing pin on a blunt nail that was driven in a small piece of wood, so that, when pressure is applied, the bullet is shot upwards.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:12 pm
You're going to rely on "balancing" that?

Too much chance of failure.

You don't have to get fancy girl, just something that'll happen fast and make him bleed a lot.

Anything that hurts him enough to make him go to the ER, that way you can track him down.

Or maybe you'd get lucky and he'd still be laying on the floor when you get home. That way you could kick him a few times in the mouth before calling the cops.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:15 pm
I was going to suggest that you get OmSigDavid to come live with you, but I guess you and Chai are figuring out something more practical.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:19 pm
Don't mess with Texan Wimmins.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:27 pm
Smarthome is always good for gadgets.

Are pets allowed? Pit bulls really aren't all that big, but they're universally respected.

Twin cheap camera's outside your door that show each other would be pretty cheap... with a small sign that showed a badge to get attention, and said smile, you're being recorded by wide angle cameras that also record each other.

ADT stickers are excellent when conspicuously placed.

Smarthome also sells wireless panic buttons that will dial emergency response automatically.

And my personal favorite; a good face to face conversation with someone your husband's size is good for the fear of God... He could simply look dangerously angry while asking the neighbor(s) to let him know if they ever see anybody creeping or peeping around because "it happened last night... and I'd like to kill whoever it is. Thanks."

Sorry you live next to a creep, ((((((SheWolf))))))
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:34 pm
I lived in a very high crime neighborhood for a number of years. (It's another thread entirely about living in a place with one of the highest crime rates in the entire freaking country.) You can try all manner of devices to keep people out, but if they want to get in, they'll get in. What you need is an alarm of some kind--something that makes a lot of NOISE. Although it would be nice if the alarm were linked to something, the initial noise is more likely to work than the response to the alarm.

I carried a personal alarm. A pocket device connected to a string. Pull the string and the alarm blasts. Scares people away--at least in theory.

Remember that the last thing these bums want is to attract attention.

As for the safety of your daughter, I wish I could tell you.

Good luck, kid.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 11:17 pm
We have the motion-sensitive floodlights mounted in several places around the outside of our house. They were very cheap and one of the best deterrents you can find, according to police here.

Hubby got them at Home Depot...took about 30 minutes to install one (maybe less.)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 08:34:14