Why the Ignorant are Blissful: Read and Weep

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:11 am
A study done by the psychology department at Cornell and published in the December issue of the "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology"
finds at least two reasons for the blissful ignorant:

Ignorant people tend to be confident of their abilities: more confident than people who are skilled and do things well.

Also, the ability to recognize competence is probably very closely related to be ability to be confident.

For more information:

http://www.zenspider.com/RWD/Thoughts/Inept.html

Obviously, having read this reasearch, all of us competent people are mentally reviewing our areas of incompetence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 970 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:09 pm
Well, that explains my life. It also explains President Bush.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:12 pm
From my experience, the more I learn the more obvious it is I don't know anything.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 03:54 pm
At that rate you shall have reached the point of knowing nothing by the time of your death!

Or shortly before.

Yet, you speak sooth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 03:55 pm
Is that why we can all tell everybody else how to run their job/life etc better than they do?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 04:01 pm
Monger- Oh, how I can relate. I was such a wiseass when I was a young person. Thought that I knew everything. The older I get, the more that I realize that I know very little, in the overall scheme of things.

I think that you have to know a little about a lot of things to fully comprehend the extent of your lack of knowledge.

The great part of it is though, that at this point in time, I am not ashamed or embarrassed to say, "I don't know". I think that many older people are secure enough within themselves to be able to admit ignorance.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 04:25 pm
I think it was Mark Twain who said that when he was 16 he could not believe how stupid is father was and by the time he was thirty he was amazed at how much the old man had learned.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:24 pm
I always thought I was pretty ignorant, but I definitely don't have much self-confidence. Does this mean I'm ignorant about my non-ignorance? Or is my lack of confidence directly attributable to the fact that I'm not ignorant but I don't realize it? I know one thing for sure -- I'm confused!

Laughing
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:15 am
The larger the island of knowledge,
The longer the shoreline of wonder.

Don't remember who wrote this, but have always liked the metaphor.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:21 am
Dammit - all you nerds who think you know everything sure annoy those of us who really do.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:33 am
The More I Think

The More I Know

The More it Hurts

Cat Stevens
philosopher, circa 1972
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 02:18 am
MY skills are so secret, even I don't know what they are !
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:33 pm
They have an award for these people, it is called the Darwin Award. It is conferred posthumously on those who have improved the human gene pool by removing themselves through their own stupidity.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why the Ignorant are Blissful: Read and Weep
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:27:48