The homeless and/or scam trend

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 11:50 am
Few years ago, I was walking back to my car from a restaurant in Chinatown one night. I was approached by a male who was about my age, cleancut, and told me a story about how his car broke down and he needed $5 for the bus. I almost gave in, but didn't.

I heard about how people do this now...cleancut, appear pretty much "normal," and tell people sob stories trying to get $5, $10, or whatever opposed to asking for change.

Couple years ago, two women down on Boylston St. tried stopping me and telling me how one of them was beat up by her boyfriend and the police ignored them....I told them to f*ck off.

Last night, my girlfriend and I were getting into my car in Fanueil Hall, and a woman about 45 years old, wearing a long black jacket, carrying a purse, tried stopping us and started with "I'm from Holbrook(nice suburbian town), and we're stuck in the North End..." I don't remember what I said to her, something along the lines of "beat it." If she was really stuck in the North End, she wouldn't be walking around 1/2 mile away since the N.E. had to have been jammed on V-day.

I think these assholes are ruining it for people who really are in trouble. They're scum....anyone else have had any run-ins?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 423 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 11:55 am
A little girl probably 11 once approached me.. it was cold and she had no jacket. She was so dirty I couldn't even determine her race. she was shivering pretty badly and had a hard time talking clearly but from what I could gather her parents had abandoned her and she was starving and she asked for some money.

I told the little girl there was a Kindercare around the corner and I was sure some of the kids would trade a cookie or an apple or maybe even some of their pudding cups for a look at her hoo hah.

Give a girl a fish and she'll eat one day. Teach her how to use the Hoo Hah and she'll be set for life.

I felt good about myself that day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 11:55 am
There are services for people to access if they have a problem. There is no excuse for begging on the street.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:08 pm
Once, late at night, while I was walking down the street to my apartment after a drunken night out, this clean cut guy, about thirty years old, comes up to me with a story about how his car won't start and how he would really appreciate it if I let him use my phone. He was like, "if you don't believe me, my girlfriend is right over there waiting in my car," gesturing behind him towards a bunch of parked cars. He sounded so sincere, and he looked so "normal" like you said, Slappy.

This was before I had a cell phone, so I started to walk down toward my building with him. Just as I got to my stoop, I stopped and said, "you know, just to be safe, can you tell me in which car your girlfriend is waiting, just so I can be sure you're telling the truth?" He pointed me up the street and told me which car to go look into. When I got there, big surprise! No girl in the car! And when I turned around, big surprise! The lying prick was nowhere in sight!

I feel lucky that my brains kicked in, albeit at the last possible second, and I ended up not being mugged, killled or ass-raped.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:08 pm
These scams have been around for years. I always offer to call the police for them and boy do they run off fast. All police departments have help desks for people who have lost their wallet, get locked out of their cars etc.

(Bear, please change your avatar for a moment I thought Sozobe had posted that silly advice - you are damaging her pure image )
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:09 pm
Green Witch wrote:
(Bear, please change your avatar for a moment I thought Sozobe had posted that silly advice - you are damaging her pure image )

I agree!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:11 pm
He's become the Anti-Sozobe.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 01:21 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
A little girl probably 11 once approached me.. it was cold and she had no jacket. She was so dirty I couldn't even determine her race. she was shivering pretty badly and had a hard time talking clearly but from what I could gather her parents had abandoned her and she was starving and she asked for some money.

I told the little girl there was a Kindercare around the corner and I was sure some of the kids would trade a cookie or an apple or maybe even some of their pudding cups for a look at her hoo hah.

Give a girl a fish and she'll eat one day. Teach her how to use the Hoo Hah and she'll be set for life.

I felt good about myself that day.

That's awesome. Especially since at first I thought Soz wrote it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 01:42 pm
any resemblance to sozobe is strictly coincidental and I will not buckle under or give in to your imperialist threats you yankee pigs.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The homeless and/or scam trend
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 07:03:29