Valentine's Day: Romantic? Commercial?

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:20 pm
When I suggested to hubby we should celebrate V-D on Saturday with a nice dinner - he said good, we can get Valentine stuff half off!

I just love romance.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 09:07 pm
George wrote:
Good for Mo!
I absolutely hated Valentines in grade school.

Thank you, George!

I could have used that vote of confidence before I carried this thing to class. I considered it's appropriateness and Mr. B and I debated whether it met the criteria for the homework.

Still, if it had been anything else it would have been me, not Mo.

The teacher told me that it had been impossible for her to find appropriate cards to give the kids because everything was so "romantic".

I think Mo was having the same problem! We were going to give out little boxes of candy to the neighborhood she-hooligans but everything was just too lovey-dovey so we didn't do anything.

I think there is a real marketing opportunity here.....
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 09:20 pm
We had a nice Valentines evening together. I fixed us a dinner of pasta and garlic bread (we cancelled one another out...lol), he bought me a bottle of wine (candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker) Wink then we settled in to watch The Bridges of Madison County (interesting movie choice for VD, but it's one of our favorites) then we hit the hay where we went at it like a couple of rabbits...lol He was asleep by 10 o'clock. Very Happy

How romantic. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 09:24 pm
You could have given them "Thrills" Boomer ("The gum that tastes like soap" [although I always thought it tasted the way Brut aftershave smelled]).

Got my husband a jokey card and a pack of "Thrills" since we usually joke around on Valentines Day -- so of course this year he got me a mushy card and flowers! Nice to know he can still surprise me though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:24 pm
This reminds me a bit of anniversaries. I've always thought them personal. I have never gotten understood anniversary cards, although I do remember my parents anniversary date all these years later. Still, what is the gush from others about?

I guess it is about the sociology of weddings as a community acknowledgement, while I view them and other such connections more personally.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:29 pm
Back before kids had to give cards to everyone or none, y'know, in the Olden Days, we had a probably twenty minutes of passing out valentines before geography period. I remember the one with the satin heart, from M.G. when I was in fourth grade. I probably got, oh, four or five cards. That one left me amazed and confused. I should have acted on it, shy violet that I was, he was quite a doll. But, y'know, I was nine.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:36 am
ossobuco wrote:
Back before kids had to give cards to everyone or none, y'know, in the Olden Days, we had a probably twenty minutes of passing out valentines before geography period. I remember the one with the satin heart, from M.G. when I was in fourth grade. I probably got, oh, four or five cards. That one left me amazed and confused. I should have acted on it, shy violet that I was, he was quite a doll. But, y'know, I was nine.

I was wondering a similar thing - what ever happened to those box of Valentine cards where they were all different? In school we were supposed to hand out Valentines to all the children, however, the boxes of cards came with all different shaped and sized cards. Your really good friends got the biggest ones and the digesting dirty kid got the one that was ugly and really tiny. Now they have different messages, but they are all the same shape and size. Can't give your best friend, the best card from the box because they are "equal".
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:47 am
I used to wonder why I got so many ugly, tiny cards.
Thanks for clearing that up.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 09:45:24